Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Acquired a black Concorde for a friend - Help with identification?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-18-21, 08:59 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

I bought this bike for a friend for a friend who's not very tall and of course for myself since I have never owned or worked on a Concorde. I was sold the minute I saw the frame, it is very fine and very light (in spite of the read add-on...). The chrome fork is lovely and the rims are quite nice (but not in the best of shapes). The rear one is an Ambrosio Team Edition and the front one is a Mavic 1ere Montée/OEM. Cinelli combo for the stem/bars and full Shimano 600. Crankset isn't OEM obviously. I'm curious about these Ultech dropouts, if I'm not mistaken this is some kind of sister brand but I might be wrong.

Is anybody able to identify the bike just with these pictures? Or should I look for something particular that could help me identify the model/year or the tubing? I didn't see a SN when I bought it but I was a bit in a hurry so I'll search for one later today.

Old 06-18-21, 09:14 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I would bet that the crank is OEM as it is a Shimano 600 'Tricolour', same as the derailleur and brakes appear to be. Just the chainrings have been changed as they are a wear item.
Old 06-18-21, 09:18 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Chainrings are replacements, but the crankset itself appears original (Shimano 600 tricolor, like the RD).

The way that rack is mounted, both top and bottom, is
Old 06-18-21, 09:48 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Oh yes! my bad I should have spoken of the chainrings and not of the crankset itself.

And yes kind of a weird set up for the rack! I guess the PO wanted to have a rack but didn't want to change bike. I doubt this bike was designed to carry heavy loads.
Old 06-18-21, 10:01 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Yeah, I would definitely remove that rack before your friend tries to put anything heavy on it.
Old 06-18-21, 12:17 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a Colombo. No pantographs, Ultech dropouts, brake routing on bottom of the top tube. A few different manufactures made these, so models vary a bit, but at least one of the variations had all these. Most likely Columbus Aelle. Looks to be a respray, since the head tube decal is missing, but I'm not sure if those were clear coated over or not. Does it have a flat brake bridge?
Old 06-18-21, 03:52 PM
jonny7

Originally Posted by krakhaus
I'm pretty sure it's a Colombo. No pantographs, Ultech dropouts, brake routing on bottom of the top tube. A few different manufactures made these, so models vary a bit, but at least one of the variations had all these. Most likely Columbus Aelle. Looks to be a respray, since the head tube decal is missing, but I'm not sure if those were clear coated over or not. Does it have a flat brake bridge?
nope, an arch-like bridge. Pictures incoming
Old 06-18-21, 06:55 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
My immediate impression was also a Colombo. Other Concorde models offered with 600 Ultegra were the Prelude and Prestige. Seat post diameter?
Old 06-21-21, 05:19 PM
jonny7

Originally Posted by T-Mar
My immediate impression was also a Colombo. Other Concorde models offered with 600 Ultegra were the Prelude and Prestige. Seat post diameter?
Will try to find a caliper to get a precise measure. Meanwhile, I've searched for a SN and only found on the BB shell the number 48 (size presumably) and the code "3E" or "3F".

Might also add that I'm in Canada. I don't know if Concorde had a special line up for North America but you probably know this!
Old 06-21-21, 06:43 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny7
Will try to find a caliper to get a precise measure. Meanwhile, I've searched for a SN and only found on the BB shell the number 48 (size presumably) and the code "3E" or "3F".

Might also add that I'm in Canada. I don't know if Concorde had a special line up for North America but you probably know this!
The post looks like a LaPrade variant. If so, the size should be stamped below the insertion mark.

I'm not sure if the 3E indicates 1993 but that would be appropriate for 600 Ultegra. During this era Concorde was being distributed in Canada by Veltec Canada. My Canadian buyer's guide for that year shows only five Concorde road models; an Americas (Tange Infinity & 105 SC STI) and four versions of the Colombo, all with Aelle frames but component options of 105SC SIS, 105SC STI, 600 Ultegra SIS or 600 Ultegra STI.
Likes For T-Mar: