Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's happening with tradition?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What's happening with tradition?

Old 06-19-21, 09:21 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
I prefer a cushioned ride
Something like this?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-21-21, 12:09 PM
REV160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I fully agree.

If he is anal retentive, which is the proper term rather than anal (which is more of a hobby than a problem), then he'd be equally concerned that the skewer would be closed upward midway between the seat stay and the chain stay.
Likes For REV160:
Old 06-21-21, 05:41 PM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
"Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be. First the killed the Romans; now it's killing me.
I think it goes, " Latin is a dead, dead language, as dead as dead can be. First it killed the Romans, now it's killing me." It did me in ninth grade.
Old 06-21-21, 07:27 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I've never noticed which way my wheels read and don't care.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 06-21-21, 08:51 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I've never noticed which way my wheels read and don't care.

Same here. He would be better off not obsessing with label orientation and doing some cleaning and maintenance. If he continues neglecting
the bike the labels will be so cruddy he won't be able to see them anyway.
Likes For frogman:
Old 06-21-21, 09:36 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
What, no one's mentioned that you're supposed to look through the valve hole and see the Campagnolo logo directly underneath? That little bit of information is in a wheelbuilding book somewhere...
The trouble is, it can create a lot of trial and error during the lacing. How, exactly, am I supposed to know exactly where the logo will end up, until I've got at least the pulling/trailing spokes of one side laced? Better yet, both sides. And then you gotta unscrew them and start again. And then you forget which way you were turning the damn hub in the first place. Sure, back when the only high-end option was Campy, and all you had was Record hi- and lo-flange, mostly in 36h, you would just go look at another wheel to get the proper holes so it would line up on your first try. But with several tens of models of Schmidt dynamo hubs alone (just to name one boutique hub company as an example), I can't hope to get it right on the first try. Let's not even get into the boutique insanely-lightweight rear hub market! It's wild out there. Also, what's the center of the logo anyway? Dead center geometrically? Or if it's two words, do I want the center space between those? How about two words plus a smaller icon? Or different size type faces? I'm looking at you, American Classic!

I have better things to do with my time, like build the wheel straight and dished and with even tension.
Old 06-21-21, 09:55 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
How, exactly, am I supposed to know exactly where the logo will end up, until I've got at least the pulling/trailing spokes of one side laced?
A piece of paper and several coloured pencils.
Old 06-21-21, 10:10 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
A piece of paper and several coloured pencils.
I guess I don't get it. How is this supposed to help me? I've built a lot of wheels and thought about this on and off for some time, and I can't see a good way to solve the problem other than prior experience and trial and error.

The way I see it, I would have to undo and redo the trailing spokes of one side and possibly both at least once. I could try one orientation, see how it looks, and then I'd write it down or mark it and try again, unless I got lucky and nailed it the first time. Chances are, I'll be off by a hole or two.
Old 06-21-21, 10:34 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
What, no one's mentioned that you're supposed to look through the valve hole and see the Campagnolo logo directly underneath? That little bit of information is in a wheelbuilding book somewhere...
i think it is in “the rules”
Old 06-21-21, 10:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
The trouble is, it can create a lot of trial and error during the lacing. How, exactly, am I supposed to know exactly where the logo will end up, until I've got at least the pulling/trailing spokes of one side laced? Better yet, both sides. And then you gotta unscrew them and start again. And then you forget which way you were turning the damn hub in the first place. Sure, back when the only high-end option was Campy, and all you had was Record hi- and lo-flange, mostly in 36h, you would just go look at another wheel to get the proper holes so it would line up on your first try. But with several tens of models of Schmidt dynamo hubs alone (just to name one boutique hub company as an example), I can't hope to get it right on the first try. Let's not even get into the boutique insanely-lightweight rear hub market! It's wild out there. Also, what's the center of the logo anyway? Dead center geometrically? Or if it's two words, do I want the center space between those? How about two words plus a smaller icon? Or different size type faces? I'm looking at you, American Classic!

I have better things to do with my time, like build the wheel straight and dished and with even tension.
See, the mistake you're making is that you just want a straight, dished and evenly tensioned wheel, you know, one you can ride thousands and thousands of trouble-free miles on. But tradition!

Vintage Campy hubs are the only ones that really fit this "rule", IMO, but I always try to nail the peep hole thing if there's something to look at on the hub. I almost never have anyone notice, btw, but that's the way I was taught BITD. Once you've built a few hundred wheels the same way over and over again, it's like riding a bike. The first set of wheels I built after a decade or two hiatus, I didn't even have a truing stand or dishing gauge, neither of which are necessary to build a good wheel. Nailed the peek a boo first try:

If you can't figure out which spoke hole to start with, get a pair of already built wheels, stare down the valve hole to the hub, and make a dot with a Sharpie on the hub that's centered directly under your peep hole. From there you can decipher where to start with spokes.

I mean, if tradition means anything to you.

Last edited by gugie; 06-21-21 at 11:07 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 06-21-21, 10:57 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
I guess I don't get it. How is this supposed to help me?
I'm sure you've built more wheels than me, but both sets of wheels I have built from scratch the hub logos are aligned with the valve hole*. No undoing spokes, just a bit of forethought and some scribbled plans. Get the first one in the right place and the rest will follow.

* Except it's actually the grease port on the Chorus hubs.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 06-22-21, 09:46 AM
nazcalines

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I solved this problem by removing the shimano logo with acetone.
Likes For nazcalines:
Old 06-22-21, 10:15 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
...I always build my wheels so the rims read from the right...... but Primato and Made in Italy read from the left...
I know... I know.... Seems like everything is going LEFT!

But having every thing on the bicycle lined up in the same direction is a very Groovy Thing. That's how we keep our Groove.

A bike that's lined up, mechanically sound, and dirty from being ridden is a beautiful thing...
Old 06-22-21, 01:26 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
... But tradition!
I mean, if tradition means anything to you.
Old 06-22-21, 02:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by nazcalines
I solved this problem by removing the shimano logo with acetone.
I think we're missing the obvious answer, that is, if you want to line the logo up with the valve hole.

Step 1. Remove old label by any means necessary
Step 2. Apply small sticker with said label on the hub, lining it up with the valve hole.