Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fitting Narrow Tubeless Tires, I know Not Tubeless Again

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-02-21, 12:32 AM
oberwl

Bikes: Custom Ti Gravel Self built Force AXS 1 X 12, Allied Cycle Works All Disc Force AXS DT Swiss 1400 Spine, Santa Cruz CC XTR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm thinking about see how my Gravel Bike will ride with some faster tires. So I've just completed the front wheel. Put a Conti 5000 TL on 28mm and tried to air it up sans Sealant.
Not a chance. I've been able to get other road tires seated with minimal sealant.

The rims are WTB i21's. They seem just a bit wide for a 28mm. Maybe go to a 30mm.

Anyhow, Just curious about others experience with narrower tires setup tubeless.

BTW: I've got 28mm Hutchinson's on my road bike mounted to DT 1400 Carbon rims. They went on with no effort. Gravel bike currently has Hed Belgium/DT Swisww 240's running tubeless 37fr/35 back. Building mistake, can only get a 35-37 on rear depending on tire.
First Titanium frame built at Unite Bicycle Institute.
Old 07-02-21, 05:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,296 Times in 2,690 Posts
Sorry if this is obvious but did you try mounting the tire with a tube first, then breaking the bead on only one side to get the tube out, install the valve? Much easier to seat just one side.
Old 07-02-21, 05:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
Did you use a compressor or just a regular ole' pump to try and inflate?
Old 07-02-21, 10:20 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
I install my 5000 TL's dry using just a track pump (really old Joe Blow) but I do it the first time with the presta valve core removed and no sealant.
Once it gets past the snap crackle and pop of seating the bead, I can deflate and inject sealant before replacing the presta core.
To inject sealant, I have a syringe with the fine spray extension tube that comes with Canned Air attached to it.
I think some oils and lubes come with a similar tube.
I like this setup, because when it comes time to check the sealant level, I can suck it back out again without having to break the bead.

Barry
Old 07-02-21, 10:29 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've followed the same routine as Barry2. I think some of this comes down to luck: the fit between a specific tire and rim, and manufacturing variations between tires. At this point, I've fit a total of four 28-mm Conti 5000 TLs onto the same pair of wheels. Three of them went on without too much effort. One of them was an absolute bear to get on. But they all inflated with my track pump pretty easily--I had more trouble getting the valve seal tight.
Old 07-05-21, 03:50 AM
oberwl

Bikes: Custom Ti Gravel Self built Force AXS 1 X 12, Allied Cycle Works All Disc Force AXS DT Swiss 1400 Spine, Santa Cruz CC XTR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try.