Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

BMC MTB Warranty woes... advice wanted

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-02-21, 11:55 AM
AlphaFoxtrot216

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, newbee poster here. Apologies if this is in the incorrect section.

UK-based cyclist here. I've been recreationally cycling for about 10 years to keep fit.

My cycling has upped significantly during COVID, through both commuting to 'home office’ (4 miles a day round trip) and longer workout rides covering roads/paths/bridalways at lunchtimes/after work/weekends (6-20 miles ontop of that per day, on average). I’m using a MTB with mtb tyres, (basically as 'resistance training' :-) ), and to give me flexability over routes.

In 2017 I bought a lovely 'entry-ish-level' BMC Sportelite hardtail MTB (alloy frame). All fine, lovely to ride, and during past 14 months it has received a number of upgrades including a nice pair of £350 DT Swiss wheels, upgraded brake rotors, as well as Scwalbe marathon plus tyres to resist flats.

About 6 weeks ago, while cleaning the bike I notice a 3mm hairline crack in the seat stay/seat post weld, accompanied by creaking/clicking which has become more frequent. The frame has around 6.6k miles on it, around 95% on ‘low stress' sufaces (roads/tarmac paths), rather than trails (and half of this done in the last 12 months). 4 years into a 5 year warranty, while disappointed at this failure, I was expecting replacement frame (alloy can’t be easily repaired I understand)…..

My dealer has had long back and forth with BMC; upshot is they are refusing/unable to replace the frame and offering to refund the original purchase price (c.£600) as a credit for the store (who no longer stock BMC, and has a limited range of other brands).

None of the store’s MTBs are compatible with my recently-purchased wheels (650b, skewers), meaning I have an expensive stranded asset after a very short life. Also most of their MTBs are 29ers rather than 650b wheels.

Therefore, buying a new bike at credit price or with top up from me still leaves me with a number of 'entry level' parts, namely wheels, rotors and tyres meaning that I will have to further pay to upgrade back. I therefore feel rather cheated (my tyres still have 6-12 months life in them at current rate of use, and my IceTech rotors another 8 months of life, and wheels/hubs are virtually brand new).

I know a manufacturer isn't responsible for any after-market parts I add on, however I would argue, in terms of stated warranty of 'equivalent parts', any warranty resolution should also be compatible with the original (and therefore upgraded spec) parts, and not render such parts obsolete. In the currently proposed resolution I will be SIGNIFICANTLY out of pocket to get a new bike up to the same standard (to the tune of around £500 plus labour, on top of any additional cost of a new bike).

I really want to insist on a replacement frame, and feel that the manufacturer should hold stock to honour warranty agreements. If they cannot provide a new frame, the credit should be sufficient to cover the cost of a new bike to AT LEAST same specification as the one I now own. I feel very let down by BMC. I know my retailer is arguing my case, but also know they will benefit £££ if I end up buying a new bike and compatible parts...

Can anyone advise on my 'rights', any precedents, or the ‘magic words’ on how best to manage this situation? Should I consider taking BMC to small claims court?
I can’t be the first person in this situation, so would appreciate hearing other’s experiences.

Thanks
Alpha Foxtrot 216

Last edited by AlphaFoxtrot216; 07-02-21 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-02-21, 12:17 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
I'd try approaching BMC directly, stating that your prior store is no longer a BMC dealer and you'd really really really like to stick with a BMC product.
Your frame appears to no longer be in production, do BMC offer a current product you'd be interested in, even if there was an upgrade cost?

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 07-02-21 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 12:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
As I understand it, the UK has rather specific policies regarding warranties; have you consulted them?

If your frame is essentially obsolete, you might be able to wangle a discount on a new complete bike. Sounds like you could use it, given that you ride a bit. The fact that you upgraded the wheels and such is, I suspect, not BMC's problem.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-02-21, 02:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Since replacement frames no longer exist, seems the best you could hope for is a substantial discount on a current model. Sell the parts from your old bike or look for an inexpensive frame and move them over.Edit- Read the OP again. A store credit for the full purchase price seems more than fair!

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-02-21 at 05:49 PM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-02-21, 05:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
A credit for the cost of the original bike seems like a good deal to me. What other brands does the store carry? BMC would not be a brand I would normally consider anyway for an MTB.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-02-21, 05:53 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts
do you get to keep the cracked frame as well as receive the credit? Yes? Then trade the old one in to the store + credit for a new bicycle.
Old 07-05-21, 04:17 AM
AlphaFoxtrot216

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I have pushed back with BMC on this and will see what they say. Otherwise I am tempted to counter-offer on a discount AND credit towards a new bike and see what they say

I guess I'm just miffed that they can advertise a 5 year warranty (where they promise repair or replacement) and not hold stock of spare frames for the duration. I had (naively) assumed that a warranty meant the manufacturer promises that parts will NOT be obsolete for the duration of their warranty. This seems like a sensible interpreation of such a pledge.

Had I known this risk I certainly would not have sheeled out money on upgrading parts last year (which I assumed would have absolute guarantee of use during the remaining warranty life of the frame, at that point a little under 2 years...)
Old 07-05-21, 04:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot216
I have pushed back with BMC on this and will see what they say. Otherwise I am tempted to counter-offer on a discount AND credit towards a new bike and see what they say

I guess I'm just miffed that they can advertise a 5 year warranty (where they promise repair or replacement) and not hold stock of spare frames for the duration. I had (naively) assumed that a warranty meant the manufacturer promises that parts will NOT be obsolete for the duration of their warranty. This seems like a sensible interpreation of such a pledge.

Had I known this risk I certainly would not have sheeled out money on upgrading parts last year (which I assumed would have absolute guarantee of use during the remaining warranty life of the frame, at that point a little under 2 years...)
You know what they say about "assume".... Don't let this spoil your enjoyment of the new bike.
Old 07-05-21, 06:49 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 483 Posts
Hi, newbee poster here. Apologies if this is in the incorrect section.

UK-based cyclist here. I've been recreationally cycling for about 10 years to keep fit.

My cycling has upped significantly during COVID, through both commuting to 'home office’ (4 miles a day round trip) and longer workout rides covering roads/paths/bridalways at lunchtimes/after work/weekends (6-20 miles ontop of that per day, on average). I’m using a MTB with mtb tyres, (basically as 'resistance training' :-) ), and to give me flexability over routes.

In 2017 I bought a lovely 'entry-ish-level' BMC Sportelite hardtail MTB (alloy frame). All fine, lovely to ride, and during past 14 months it has received a number of upgrades including a nice pair of £350 DT Swiss wheels, upgraded brake rotors, as well as Scwalbe marathon plus tyres to resist flats.

About 6 weeks ago, while cleaning the bike I notice a 3mm hairline crack in the seat stay/seat post weld, accompanied by creaking/clicking which has become more frequent. The frame has around 6.6k miles on it, around 95% on ‘low stress' sufaces (roads/tarmac paths), rather than trails (and half of this done in the last 12 months). 4 years into a 5 year warranty, while disappointed at this failure, I was expecting replacement frame (alloy can’t be easily repaired I understand)…..

My dealer has had long back and forth with BMC; upshot is they are refusing/unable to replace the frame and offering to refund the original purchase price (c.£600) as a credit for the store (who no longer stock BMC, and has a limited range of other brands).

None of the store’s MTBs are compatible with my recently-purchased wheels (650b, skewers), meaning I have an expensive stranded asset after a very short life. Also most of their MTBs are 29ers rather than 650b wheels.

Therefore, buying a new bike at credit price or with top up from me still leaves me with a number of 'entry level' parts, namely wheels, rotors and tyres meaning that I will have to further pay to upgrade back. I therefore feel rather cheated (my tyres still have 6-12 months life in them at current rate of use, and my IceTech rotors another 8 months of life, and wheels/hubs are virtually brand new).

I know a manufacturer isn't responsible for any after-market parts I add on, however I would argue, in terms of stated warranty of 'equivalent parts', any warranty resolution should also be compatible with the original (and therefore upgraded spec) parts, and not render such parts obsolete. In the currently proposed resolution I will be SIGNIFICANTLY out of pocket to get a new bike up to the same standard (to the tune of around £500 plus labour, on top of any additional cost of a new bike).

I really want to insist on a replacement frame, and feel that the manufacturer should hold stock to honour warranty agreements. If they cannot provide a new frame, the credit should be sufficient to cover the cost of a new bike to AT LEAST same specification as the one I now own. I feel very let down by BMC. I know my retailer is arguing my case, but also know they will benefit £££ if I end up buying a new bike and compatible parts...

Can anyone advise on my 'rights', any precedents, or the ‘magic words’ on how best to manage this situation? Should I consider taking BMC to small claims court?
I can’t be the first person in this situation, so would appreciate hearing other’s experiences.

Thanks
Alpha Foxtrot 216
I'd take the credit and move on. Have you looked into possibly swapping out the endcaps of your hubs? Many are swappable.
Old 07-05-21, 07:01 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts

I guess I'm just miffed that they can advertise a 5 year warranty (where they promise repair or replacement) and not hold stock of spare frames for the duration. .
You think the manufacturer should hold for five years an equal number of frames as those they’ve sold? Then what would they do with them?
Old 07-05-21, 07:37 AM
AlphaFoxtrot216

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I'd take the credit and move on. Have you looked into possibly swapping out the endcaps of your hubs? Many are swappable.
This is a helpful suggestion thank you. I will ask my dealer about this.

Originally Posted by Rolla
You think the manufacturer should hold for five years an equal number of frames as those they’ve sold? Then what would they do with them?
Of course not an equal number. But any decent manufacturer (or any other engineering entity), should be able to calculate their failure rate quite accurately by the time a frame, or a generation of frames, is ending production, and keep that number +10% in stock for the warranty period.

After that, either build them into 'end of line' bikes (if compatable parts are available), or more easily sell them as frame only, brand new, without warranty replacement.
Old 07-05-21, 07:39 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Your expectations are unrealistic. Refunding your full purchase price, even as a credit, is absolutely 99th percentile customer service.
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 07-05-21, 07:45 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Obviously, the results vary by jurisdiction. In many cases a warranty will specify that they will replace with a "product" of equal or greater value if they no longer off the original "product". Or give back the purchase price.

Good luck. And as suggested, don't let it totally sour you on biking.
Old 07-05-21, 10:29 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,879 Posts

Buying many things over the years with such warranty has brought me to no longer bank on those words from most OEMs. It may drive some folks to buying lesser known brands at a much lower cost for what might seem like a comparable item.
Understanding that some consumers are likely to no admit fault for damages caused, & then lean on the OEMs warranty to fix the owner's problem. This is what OEMs are first to factor in when dealing with a claim. Is it acceptable? Until a regulation addresses it clearly & directly, it cannot be legally challenged.

It's a game of risk, expensive risk.
Old 07-05-21, 11:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
Their offer is more than generous. Bikes have changed a lot over the last 5 years.
Likes For unterhausen: