Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How often do you build a bike? Why?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How often do you build a bike? Why?

Old 07-06-21, 06:14 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I haven't been at this for long but I do a bike or 2 a year. Since the end of the world, I still haven't had any signifigant shop time, but I have spent an inordinate amount of time on the internet, and have stocked up every little bit needed for the the next half dozen projects. I'm also coming to terms with being at N-30 with maybe 30 years left to work with, so the urge to take every stray home is cooling.
I worry about that too, . I'm sitting on all these old bikes and sooner or later they need to find another home.
Old 07-06-21, 06:17 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by iab
So you made me look.
2006 - 3 bikes
2009 - 2 bikes
2010 - 1 bike
2011 - 1 bike
2013 - 1 bike
2015 - 3 bikes
2016 - 1 bike
2018 - 1 bike
2021 - 2 bikes but there will be a deal for a third by the end on the month

I spend way too much, and it seems to get worse as time moves on. For why, it is pretty much I get a bug in my head and go with it. A few years later I liquidate to finance a new bug. The only one I sort wish I still had was that Viscontea pista, but in reality I don't get much opportunity to ride it. One of the 2021 bikes is too small and won't be long in the collection but it is such a unique bike I just wanted the challenge. I will be bringing much of the collection to Mike Kone's shindig in 2022.
You should do more build threads. I think I've seen one from you. Your bikes are really interesting and unusual. I wouldn't have the patience (or the knowledge base) to track down the parts for the bikes you build. The oldest bike I have so far is a 1950s era Claud Butler jubilee. Looking at your posts though has me thinking of picking up something really old and preferably French. That's a rabbit hole I've managed to resist so far but I must just fall down it.
Old 07-06-21, 06:19 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by seypat
It varies. At least one a year. I have an organized ride in May. My tradition for that ride is that I acquire a different bike, fix it up and ride it on that ride. Currently, I have 2 or 3 in que so I might not get one for a few years.
Originally Posted by top506
At least one a year for the Lung Association charity ride; then it depends what shows up at the dump, dumpster behind the LBS, or how many frame and fork combos I can't resist.

Long rides/events are my motivation for building a new old bike as well. A tough ride is a real acid test for a build.
Old 07-06-21, 06:22 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Since October of last year I've done four. They are all survivors and have been taken down, overhauled with consumables being replaced as needed. None of them are restorations or anything worth painting. I do it because it gives me something constructive to do and I enjoy the results.

Some day I hope to find something classic or collectible and make a long term project taking my time to do a meticulous restoration. But for the time being, I'm happy just wrenching on them and riding them.
Two of my favorite bikes are non-collectible survivors. They're just good bikes that are fun to ride. One is a 1970s Sekine SHS 271; the other a 70s Peugeot UE 8.
Old 07-06-21, 06:23 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I wish to invoke my 5th Amendment rights at this time..............
You may be the first poster here to start a thread about what a great job you are doing downsizing and then post a thread on a new build,
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-06-21, 06:28 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...a few years back (maybe 5-6 years ago), I got into repainting frames, mostly because it was the only way I could find nicer bikes like Colnago's and Raleigh Pro's in my exact size, that I thought were affordable. It turned out to have the added advantage of making projects take much longer to accomplish. So I end up buying fewer bicycles, As a bonus, I get to play around sometimes with customizing the paint and graphics, to get something I think looks good. I can only paint here in the drier, hotter weather, because I paint outdoors in the back yard. By the time I buy stickers, paint, stripper, etc,, I think on average it costs about $100-$150 per frame. So "affordable" turns out to be a relative term.

Last winter I collected four project bikes that were mostly there, in terms of components, but had some paint issues, (Follis 172, Cinelli SC, an 80's PX-10E, and a Guerciotti). I stripped them down of parts over the winter and early spring. I just put the 2 part urethane clear coat on the fourth one, which is more or less the last step in my 2 and 3 stage painting process. Another candidate, a Moto Le Champion , popped up about four weeks ago, so that one got disassembled, stripped, primed, color coated, and stickered (finally) just yesterday. It really is a slow process, so it helps to control impulse buys. What's nice about it is there are built in stops along the way, where you have to wait for a coat to dry a couple of days, before you can do more work on it.

That's probably about it for this year. I get burned out on painting. Need to do some detailing, like lug lining, on the Moto, but I might do that post clear coat, so it's easier to repair If I slip.
You should do a build thread on one of your bikes. I think you are one of the few posters here who does such a complete job from painting to rebuilding a bike. Plus you have some unusual bikes.

I haven't bought anything with major paint issues other than a 1979 Trek TX 900 that I had repainted professionally. I'm sitting on a Witcomb that needs some brazing work on the fork as there is a gap between the fork blade and the crown. There is a local frame builder, Jeff Bock, who can do this.

I'll need to decide whether to have it painted or whether I just get out a can of rustoleum. The bike is black so spraying the parts on the fork is a real possibility. I may just do that to keep the costs down.
Old 07-06-21, 06:29 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I bought my custom 5 years ago and that was supposed to end my urge to buy and rebuild then ride different bikes. It didn't. I still do one or two a year just because I like to try different bikes and the process keeps my mind busy. I do try to limit the stable to a maximum of 5 or 6, so if it's not for me it gets sold.
Old 07-06-21, 06:50 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I prefer to ride with the time I have, rather than tinker or build (though I do enjoy building a bike up from a frame and puzzling out how to outfit it from all of the crap I’ve seem to have accumulated). And I’d rather work on my own bikes rather than ones I’d just sell. Still, I have a lot of bikes, and am quite satisfied with what I ride regularly. I really don’t like the feeling of building up something new and then realizing it doesn’t ride as well as something already in the fleet. I’ve sold off lots of bikes as a result, some likely quite desirable to others. Perhaps the one exception is that each year I seem to build up a winter commuter or two, in search of the right level of crappiness for a bike that’ll get harshly treated in a Boston winter. And once winter is over, I sell them off.
Old 07-06-21, 06:55 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by nlerner
I prefer to ride with the time I have, rather than tinker or build (though I do enjoy building a bike up from a frame and puzzling out how to outfit it from all of the crap I’ve seem to have accumulated). And I’d rather work on my own bikes rather than ones I’d just sell. Still, I have a lot of bikes, and am quite satisfied with what I ride regularly. I really don’t like the feeling of building up something new and then realizing it doesn’t ride as well as something already in the fleet. I’ve sold off lots of bikes as a result, some likely quite desirable to others. Perhaps the one exception is that each year I seem to build up a winter commuter or two, in search of the right level of crappiness for a bike that’ll get harshly treated in a Boston winter. And once winter is over, I sell them off.
I loved living in Boston but in terms of buying and selling old bikes, I'm glad I moved. There's too much great inventory there. I'll bet there's a real market for your winter commuters. I picked up my winter bike, a Bridgestone CB 1, in Boston for around $15 as a frame and headset. It's still going strong but I need to do something about the rust.
Old 07-06-21, 07:38 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I loved living in Boston but in terms of buying and selling old bikes, I'm glad I moved. There's too much great inventory there. I'll bet there's a real market for your winter commuters. I picked up my winter bike, a Bridgestone CB 1, in Boston for around $15 as a frame and headset. It's still going strong but I need to do something about the rust.
Hmm, I believe I sold a CB-1 after using as a winter commuter for a couple of years. It was really beat. Is it possible I sold it to you, Miguel?!
Old 07-06-21, 07:42 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by nlerner
Hmm, I believe I sold a CB-1 after using as a winter commuter for a couple of years. It was really beat. Is it possible I sold it to you, Miguel?!
No, I bought it north of Boston and you live pretty deep in the city right? Plus I bought it from someone who really didn't know much about bikes.
Old 07-06-21, 08:47 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
...Those white weinmann hoods seem to survive better than the gum ones. I wouldn't mind finding a set for the Raleigh Grand Sport I'm rebuilding.
My experience is that the white Carlton hoods made for Weinmann levers are much easier to find than the white "Weinmann" branded hoods.
Brent
Old 07-06-21, 09:44 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
You got me motivated with some of the French bikes you've built for that ride.
I just did the math: 5 Frenchies in 14 years (Gitane, Motobecanex2, Peugeot, and Vitus.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 07-06-21, 10:26 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Thanks! Jeff Lyon is a builder in Oregon, who I think is now pretty much retired. This frame has a lightweight top tube 7/4/7 and light weight down tube. Clearance for 35mm tires w/ fenders and a provision for internal wiring in the front fork.

Here is an older YouTube interview with Jeff:
Spoiler

https://youtu.be/Iu0s8UkRkyc
He's still advertising in BQ so I think he is still building.
Old 07-06-21, 10:34 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Changing priorities has me building less this year than previous years. A soft market means fewer of the C&V bikes will be leaving; no sense in taking a loss unless I decide I want to. I'll finish the projects I do have, and let go of the ones that no longer inspire. Same with "spare parts".
I get enough wrenching time at the shop, and have less desire to do it at home.
Emerging health issues, work priorities, and looking ahead at retirement have changed my perspective. I may do even less wrenching in the near future than I do now.
This years grand total thus far comes to 2 complete bikes; '85 Trek 760 and a 2000ish Serotta CSI, and two partial projects; '91 Bridgestone RB1 and a '93 Bridgestone RB2. The modern side amounts to a 2021 Trek Checkpoint project I picked up about two months ago.
Old 07-06-21, 10:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
1-2 per year for the last 4 years. Its a mix of bikes for me or wife/kids.
That includes some examples where I already have the bike, dont use it, and convert it- so geared road frame to single speed, for example.

The next couple builds will be for my kids due to growing- find frames and swap all components from the current bikes.
At this point for me though, I have held out for a quality 64cm road frame from 1981 as my next project. Havent found anything yet though. Its shaping up to be a long wait.
Old 07-06-21, 10:59 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Here's comes the blasphemy. Never. I'll wrench on bikes for required maintenance purposes, but never to build/rebuild an entire bike at once. Maybe some day.
Old 07-06-21, 12:09 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 601 Posts
You may be the first poster here to start a thread about what a great job you are doing downsizing and then post a thread on a new build,
I was doing SO good on the downsizing too but then all Hell broke loose on the local classifieds and it's been a C & V tall project bike smorgasbord lately. The problem is I'm apparently the only tall person buying so after a few weeks the sellers get desperate and slash their prices to a number I can't refuse. Unfortunately everything I have left to sell is a 25" frame which means I would have to slash MY prices eventually and then I'd probably buy it myself because it was too cheap so it's cheaper to just keep them. It's a vicious circle.
Old 07-06-21, 12:13 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1-2 per year for the last 4 years. Its a mix of bikes for me or wife/kids.
That includes some examples where I already have the bike, dont use it, and convert it- so geared road frame to single speed, for example.

The next couple builds will be for my kids due to growing- find frames and swap all components from the current bikes.
At this point for me though, I have held out for a quality 64cm road frame from 1981 as my next project. Havent found anything yet though. Its shaping up to be a long wait.
I keep offering to give you a 64cm Peugeot UO 9 frameset quite likely from 1981 and you keep turning me down. I reckon this isn't what you think is a "quality" frame, . You don't know what you're missing.
Old 07-06-21, 01:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
Regular Maintenance happens, and fixiits on a as needed basis, and trying new things to me like tubies and upgrades (miyata 1400 upgraded to ultegera 9 speed triple and then to 105 5800 11 speed)

but other beyond that there is no specific cadence, rhyme or reason I typically do a full build/take everything apart on new bikes

I do try to limit my self to 3 bikes (nice road, cino/eroica road, and jump on and run short errands bike)
times appropriate
15 years ago completely redid my 82 nishki, this is when I discovered bike forums and brooks saddles

10 years ago I rebuilt a univega into a fixie for my son (was his grand mothers bike)

8 years back son grew so univega gifted to a friend of his and built another fixie/SS that he still uses based on a soma smoothie frame

7 or so years ago, was given an torpado super strada so redid that, (would still add a torpado superlight if to the pack if I found one in 56 to 58)

3 years ago my Miyata 1400 got a crack so it got replaced with a de rosa

3 years ago neighbor gave me 84 Team Miyata kept this Cino ready

3 years ago loved the ride of the 84 so I got a 85 team miyata and moved the 105 5800 group from the de rosa, De rosa slightly too big so it went to another forum member

now, my nishki was getting long in the tooth, cracked rear rim, and I was looking for a build and something to do a little different style, ended up with SR Semi Pro for my go get a beer bike

Old 07-06-21, 01:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I keep offering to give you a 64cm Peugeot UO 9 frameset quite likely from 1981 and you keep turning me down. I reckon this isn't what you think is a "quality" frame, . You don't know what you're missing.
Can you email me a couple pics? And is it bsa or French threading?
...haven't owned a peugeot before.
Old 07-06-21, 01:26 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Can you email me a couple pics? And is it bsa or French threading?
...haven't owned a peugeot before.
It's a hi tensile steel bike and it's very french. It takes 27 inch wheels with centerpulls so it will take a fat 700c tire. The derailleur goes on a hanger.

It is a very good bike but it also very basic. I think you're looking for something fancier. I'll shoot you a pic via email.
Old 07-06-21, 01:48 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Here's comes the blasphemy. Never. I'll wrench on bikes for required maintenance purposes, but never to build/rebuild an entire bike at once. Maybe some day.
This is me as well, except mine is due to lack of patience, mechanical skills, and necessary tools. I greatly admire the folks that can take 'em apart and build 'em back up again, picking out the right parts to do it, but I'm having to face the reality that this is just not me. This really doesn't bode well for someone who leans towards 70s French bikes.
Old 07-06-21, 02:46 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
You should do more build threads. I think I've seen one from you. Your bikes are really interesting and unusual. I wouldn't have the patience (or the knowledge base) to track down the parts for the bikes you build. The oldest bike I have so far is a 1950s era Claud Butler jubilee. Looking at your posts though has me thinking of picking up something really old and preferably French. That's a rabbit hole I've managed to resist so far but I must just fall down it.
I do have 2 build threads for the 2 2021 bikes.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...storation.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-dropouts.html

I don't recall if I did the other bikes or not. I think I did threads on most of them, but maybe not. I am pretty lazy sometimes. On the other hand, my projects tend to briefly titillate, but so unknown there is little deep interest. My threads come and go like the wind.
Old 07-06-21, 06:56 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....I just discovered this stuff. It works much better at preservation (and restoration) of gum rubber hoods than Armor All, which is what I was using before.

Is it clear or neutral in color?

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.