Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Strong Wheel build with Ryde and shimano STX

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 05:58 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts

Hi all
I am about to begin my on-a-budget 26” wheel build for beating up and down our track plus some long distance touring in the near future, and I would like to know your thoughts and opinions: (because I am a masochist)

I have brand new 36 spoke Ryde Andra 30 rims, and have just found and hit on a set NOS 7sp Shimano STX hubs for a low price.

Next up is to order the spokes now that I can calculate lengths. These will ideally be DTSwiss plain steel.

Time to get out Robert Wrights’ “Building Bicycle Wheels” once again...

That is the plan, now that I have committed to the Ryde rims and STX hubs, there’s no turning back.

Old 08-20-20, 08:26 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Ryde Andra are really nice for heavy duty touring. If it were me I would spend the extra for double butted spokes, at least on the NDS of the rear wheel. Butteds spokes have more than enough tensile strength and are more resistant to fatigue failure at the elbow. Only reason to use straight gauge spokes is cost.
Likes For cpach:
Old 08-20-20, 08:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I'll add that a 7-spd freehub body will limit future options. Not a bad thing but perhaps regretted in a few years... Andy
Old 08-21-20, 01:48 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I'll add that a 7-spd freehub body will limit future options. Not a bad thing but perhaps regretted in a few years... Andy
Thanks for the comment, it makes sense. I have got so used to 7 speeds that I opted to continue with ‘tradition’. The bike that the wheels are for is a 3x7 speed, I have been using it for some years and find no big limitations so far....

There is another steed with more gears that could also use new wheels, so once these wheels are tried and tested I shall likely be building further sets.
Old 08-21-20, 02:16 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Originally Posted by cpach
Ryde Andra are really nice for heavy duty touring. If it were me I would spend the extra for double butted spokes, at least on the NDS of the rear wheel. Butteds spokes have more than enough tensile strength and are more resistant to fatigue failure at the elbow. Only reason to use straight gauge spokes is cost.
Good point, worthy of consideration. Common wisdom does appear to err towards DB/PG spokes in the rear. The difference in cost is not prohibitive.
Perhaps I could stretch to DB up front too.
Old 08-21-20, 03:10 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I recently built up a tandem wheel with the Andra 40. Amazingly strong rims. Nearly impossible to twist them by hand.
Old 08-21-20, 03:20 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
You'll actually build a stronger wheel with butted spokes. The stretch in butted spokes helps kept nipples tight, especially on the NDS. If you really want the gold standard then use DT Swiss Alpine III.
Incidentally there is a lot of interchangeability between various 7/8/9 speed Shimano freehubs, mostly the difference are in the dust caps, so if you can get them out without munting them you can swap away.
Old 08-21-20, 03:44 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Great advice chaps, thank you.
Old 08-21-20, 12:07 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
100 % on the double butted spokes. They make for a more durable wheel.
Old 08-21-20, 02:59 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The biggest problem with 7 speed cassettes has been the demise of the 13t. As chainrings get smaller mfg’s insist on an ever widening cog gap by using 11t and 12t 1st position cogs.

I’m trying to figure out what rider out there that can push a 46-11 wants the gaps of a 7 speed.

I still ride 7 and 8 speed and feel fortunate to have some 13-34 cassettes (with the 29t) stashed away for my mountain bikes.

I also have a few Sunrace 12-34 8 speed that has decently gapping. That has been a surprisingly nice cassette.

John
Old 07-06-21, 03:54 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

I forgot to follow up with this post; here is the newly built front, plain gauge spokes, (the rear has plain gauge and butted), since heavily used last winter and showing no signs of fatigue. I have had to re-tension a little as when I built them I did not use a tensioner, which I since added to my tool kit.
As it happens I was not too far out when I initially trued the wheels by feel.

The rear cassette was converted to 9 speeds without a problem 👍

Thank you all for your input.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 07-06-21 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For Deepcherry: