Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Boycott 12oz beers

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Boycott 12oz beers

Old 07-07-21, 07:17 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lack of 12oz 6 packs is annoying. I don't want 4 pints especially when over 5%

I've been greatly enjoying this 3% beer this week. Better as a pint.
https://www.hermitthrushbrewery.com/shop/p/party-guy

Also a 4 pack each of Heady Topper and Focal Banger for my IPA fix.

Last edited by noisebeam; 07-07-21 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 08:58 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 401 Posts
I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread, or I'll be back on the sauce, lol.
Old 07-07-21, 09:11 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
lagers take twice as long to produce as ales. most startup breweries only do ales so that they can maximize the brewing tanks/product turnover.
now that so many craft breweries have carved out a financial/followers stake by now, many can fiscally afford to produce lagers. eppig, pure project and fall
are the only three breweries in sd county i can think of that did lagers in any meaningful amount from the get-go which gave them immediate street cred (at
least to me). they also got a jump on marketing said lagers in a region that calls for them. out of 160+ breweries in the county, sure i'm missing one or two breweries
doing lagers from the start but sd county is alesville.
This brewer is a friend of mine, but you're right, he's been all-ale from the beginning, Steel Beach has only been around a year or two. I haven't tried it (since I'm anti-lager)...
Old 07-07-21, 09:12 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by ooga-booga View Post
since you're here in sd, if you get a chance to hit pure project brewing, try their "rain" pilsner. beautiful effervescence, color and body. they've got a tasting room on the west side of balboa park and another
in carlsbad village next to the train station and handel's ice cream. their "tropical mist" beer is really interesting as well.
...but I'll try that out if I get a chance
Old 07-07-21, 09:12 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Lack of 12oz 6 packs is annoying. I don't want 4 pints especially when over 5%

I've been greatly enjoying this 3% beer this week. Better as a pint.
https://www.hermitthrushbrewery.com/shop/p/party-guy
Also a 4 pack each of Heady Topper and Focal Banger for my IPA fix.
I hope my area doesn't get to that point (4 packs). Although I am seeing more of that, and more of those damned hard plastic can holders. I don't care how great the beer is, if they're being held together by that plastic nonsense...I skip it.

Sprecher, a Milwaukee craft brewer who also does soda, always had their beers in pints. I rarely bought it because of that. They make great beers, but I don't want that much beer as an everyday kind of beer. Apparently, Sprecher got the hint. In the last few years I've seen their stuff in 12 ouncers.
Old 07-07-21, 09:18 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
The breweries have got you (us) by the balls. Prices for beer is exorbitant. The high prices of beer and booze is one of the reasons I stopped drinking. I was spending a lot of money every month to get my drink on. It would have been way more than enough for a new truck payment. Its funny how we will balk at a $700 vehicle payment and eagerly spend that amount for the substance of our choice.

Before I quit drinking, I was seriously considering getting into distilling. Its was either go all the way or nothing at all. I quit drinking nine months ago. I lost about 25 lbs. I feel great.
I'm glad kicking the booze has been good for your health and your wallet! My combination of snobbery and cheapness protect me from alcoholism. I can't afford to be a drunk on what I'm willing to drink

I do dabble in homebrewing, when Northern Brewer has a sale of 5-gal extract kits for about $25, that nets out to about 50c beers that are not mind-blowing, but definitely drinkable.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-07-21, 09:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 384 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
If you look around you can occasionally find beers that cost $50+ for 750ml.

https://www.totalwine.com/beer/ale/b...2&igrules=true
Sure you can if that price level is what you are looking for, just like finding bicycles that cost more than $5,000. It takes less time looking around for something good, if your cravings aren't as lofty.
BITD, 50 years ago when my beer cravings were not as lofty, and ozs/˘ was an important purchasing criteria Pabst Blue Ribbon in 16oz returnable bottles was my beer of choice; cost was $4.00 for a case of 24 16oz bottles, plus glass and carton deposit. Since I always returned the case and bottles the returnable fee was never a factor.

Below is a blast from the past when many current craft beer connoisseurs were still in diapers:

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-07-21 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 10:09 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 384 Posts
I can't even begin to count how many times I've purchased beer because of how the bottle looked, or how the name on the label rang my bell.
I can count on one finger how many times I bought brew based on label appeal. Back in the early 70's I bought and drank two six packs of Big Cat Malt Liquor (brewed by Pabst) while on an all day group ride from Philadelphia to New Hope and back (about 80 miles). I liked the looks of the can:

Today, if I drank 3 cans of anything with that much alcohol on a day ride I'd probably pass out, six cans and I'd be in a coma. The great looking can didn't make up for its subpar taste. At least I didn't pay an exorbitant "craft(y) beer snob appeal" tax for the packaging.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-07-21, 10:38 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7761 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I can count on one finger how many times I bought brew based on label appeal. Back in the early 70's I bought and drank two six packs of Big Cat Malt Liquor (brewed by Pabst) while on an all day group ride from Philadelphia to New Hope and back (about 80 miles). I liked the looks of the can:

Today, if I drank 3 cans of anything with that much alcohol on a day ride I'd probably pass out, six cans and I'd be in a coma. The great looking can didn't make up for its subpar taste. At least I didn't pay an exorbitant "craft(y) beer snob appeal" tax for the packaging.
Back in the '90s I had a roommate who would often bring home some Big Bear. That stuff was pretty nasty but often only 99˘ for a 40.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-07-21, 10:46 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Beers shouldn’t be in 12 ounce cans they should be in pints everybody have a safe 4th and DONT DRINK AND DRIVE! if you do I will find you and take the air out of your bike tires
Some of the best beers are only available in 22oz bombers anyways. Packaged to share
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-07-21, 03:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 358 Posts
Likes For thook:
Old 07-07-21, 05:13 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked 2,265 Times in 1,462 Posts
I like the 40 oz Mickeys one bottle and you get a decent buzz but not too wasted. I enjoy a great buzz but not getting too drunk if that makes any sense?
Old 07-07-21, 06:22 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

I like the 40 oz Mickeys one bottle and you get a decent buzz but not too wasted. I enjoy a great buzz but not getting too drunk if that makes any sense?
makes perfect sense.
i really don't like getting drunk, either. just buzzed enough to take the edge off. and, maybe a little slurry in the speech dept...lol. mickey's in the 12oz six pack was the bang for the buck in my circle of friends in the early 90's. no one really liked it, but you could get pretty tossed on'em working menial part time jobs at the $3something min wage back then
Likes For thook:
Old 07-07-21, 10:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

buzzed enough not to be able to drive, not drunk enough to puke <-- sweet spot
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-07-21, 10:53 PM
bargo68

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 176 Posts
16 oz. of Fairfax, Ca's finest OG IPA!
Don't mind if I do.....

Likes For bargo68:
Old 07-07-21, 11:10 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Was in Kollage in the late 1980s and a professor said that UCLA has a class called The Geography Of Beer. Very popular course for the students. It was pointed out that is wasn’t a GPA booster class and wasn’t particularly easy. So you had to study to pass the course lol. I’m guessing it would cover the regions where the ingredients are grown and social and cultural stuff and the like. I would have taken the course while buzzed We would drink a few pictures of beer at the campus bar before a mind numbing class a large one in an auditorium just to numb the pain. UT San Antonio had good beer prices because they knew most of us were broke. The bar was for students only you had to show your school ID and I bet the bar didn’t make that much $.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 07-11-21 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Pitchers of BEER I blame spellcheck
Old 07-07-21, 11:14 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
buzzed enough not to be able to drive, not drunk enough to puke <-- sweet spot
or kiss the wrong girl....
Old 07-07-21, 11:16 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

I would have taken the course while buzzed We would drink a few pictures of beer at the campus bar before a mind numbing class a large one in an auditorium just to numb the pain. .
how'd you get any sort of enjoyment out of drinking pictures?
Likes For thook:
Old 07-08-21, 11:34 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10658 Post(s)
Liked 2,692 Times in 1,855 Posts
Originally Posted by thook View Post
how'd you get any sort of enjoyment out of drinking pictures?
Sure... no doubt he meant "drink in," with his eyes... yeah, that's it, riiiiiiight.

Unless, while at the university, they managed to somehow convert pictures into liquids.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-08-21, 12:17 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by thook View Post
or kiss the wrong girl....
lol didn't even cross my mind. I'm too cheap to drink at bars, I'm too antisocial to go to parties, there's only 1 female in my household, and a lifetime supply of kissin is part of the deal
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-08-21, 04:43 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Sure... no doubt he meant "drink in," with his eyes... yeah, that's it, riiiiiiight.

Unless, while at the university, they managed to somehow convert pictures into liquids.
mebbe it wuz one'a dem speerchull skoolz wit' sum teacha name jeesuz
Likes For thook:
Old 07-09-21, 05:57 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 159 Posts
I'm going to formulate a product called Beer Booster. It'll come in a small six-pack of bottles about the size of a 5-hour energy drink, and it'll be used to fortify your beer. It'll be basically 90% alcohol, with flavorings that will enable the user to turn his Dollar General cheapo beers into delicious, high-quality craft beers simply by pouring it into his partially-drank beer container. Now your Keystone Light will be just as tasty and fulfilling as Heady Topper! I'll be rich!
A quart of bourbon will do just fine in this regard.
Old 07-09-21, 06:57 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10658 Post(s)
Liked 2,692 Times in 1,855 Posts
I'm going to formulate a product called Beer Booster. It'll come in a small six-pack of bottles about the size of a 5-hour energy drink, and it'll be used to fortify your beer. It'll be basically 90% alcohol, with flavorings that will enable the user to turn his Dollar General cheapo beers into delicious, high-quality craft beers simply by pouring it into his partially-drank beer container. Now your Keystone Light will be just as tasty and fulfilling as Heady Topper! I'll be rich!
People will buy this, and no beer... and will then complain that the little 5 oz size is too small, and should be available in 12 oz cans.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-09-21, 07:14 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch View Post
A quart of bourbon will do just fine in this regard.
Bourbon makes everything better.
Old 07-11-21, 12:40 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
lol didn't even cross my mind. I'm too cheap to drink at bars, I'm too antisocial to go to parties, there's only 1 female in my household, and a lifetime supply of kissin is part of the deal
Back in the day let’s say decades lol my drunk ass went outside to pee I went back inside and got in bed with the wrong chick .. my friend’s sister I got razzed for years. My friend and his sister thought it was funny because I was in my birthday suit. In my 20s at the time today it would have been a horror film lol.
Being young with alcohol involved provides many funny stories.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.