Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Motorist Shot and Charged in Houston

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-06-21, 06:14 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts

It's encouraging to see that in this case, Law Enforcement views the weaponization of a motor vehicle as a situation in which cyclists can use deadly force in self-defense.

https://abc13.com/driver-gets-shot-a...over/10859767/
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-06-21, 02:15 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 2,132 Times in 1,438 Posts
Before anyone posts further, Bike Forums has a rule of no gun talk. If people want this thread to continue, leave guns out of the discussions. Let’s focus on Paul’s point that police supported the cyclist.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 07-06-21, 03:35 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 3,157 Posts
One of the few, if first, interactions between a cyclist and motor vehicle that ended with this result:
The bicyclists are OK, according to authorities. The driver was taken to Ben Taub Hospital. His condition was not known.

We tend to see "cyclist in hospital, condition unknown; driver OK."
Likes For genec:
Old 07-06-21, 05:01 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 251 Posts
Before anyone posts further, Bike Forums has a rule of no gun talk. If people want this thread to continue, leave guns out of the discussions. Let’s focus on Paul’s point that police supported the cyclist.]
The dangerously stupid motorist got what he asked for and will soon be in jail. The bicyclist is alive because he exercised his right to not live in a fantasy safe space.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-06-21 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-06-21, 05:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Before anyone posts further, Bike Forums has a rule of no gun talk. If people want this thread to continue, leave guns out of the discussions. Let’s focus on Paul’s point that police supported the cyclist.
Given what the police were supporting here, I don't see how this discussion can be about anything but carrying on bikes.

​​​​​​The posts are already insinuating that not carrying is living in a "fantasy safe space." I guess it's ok then if I say that carrying on a bike is living a dangerous cowboy fantasy life as long as I don't say the forbidden three letter word?

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-06-21 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-06-21, 07:01 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 887 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The dangerously stupid motorist got what he asked for and will soon be in jail. The bicyclist is alive because he exercised his right to not live in a fantasy safe space.
Okay. Would you like to continue the gun talk?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-06-21, 07:48 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
It's long overdue that the police finally sees aggressive driving as assault with a dangerous weapon.

Most of the time, if the cyclist had been injured or killed, there'd only be an investigation and the driver given a light fine.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 07-06-21, 10:21 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It's encouraging to see that in this case, Law Enforcement views the weaponization of a motor vehicle as a situation in which cyclists can use deadly force in self-defense.

This is like 'Did I just see them(Law Enforcement) do that(actually hold a motorist accountable for their behavior towards' a cyclist)?'. I wish a lot more of that happened. But Law Enforcement will just continue to make excuses. About why they did nothing about the motorist.
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Ditto!!

Last edited by Chistophe516; 07-07-21 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-07-21, 05:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Daniel4
It's long overdue that the police finally sees aggressive driving as assault with a dangerous weapon.

Most of the time, if the cyclist had been injured or killed, there'd only be an investigation and the driver given a light fine.
That was what surprised me. I wish every bullying motorist would read the write up. It might make them realize that it might not be as simple as a 4000 pound auto against a 200 pound bike/rider combo.
Old 07-07-21, 07:26 AM
Comfort is King

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
I carry three metal water bottles. Any trouble, any motorist tries to intimidate me or bully me, I pull it out and give them a good look. Still trouble? I hold it in the ready position to throw. That almost always works because people are scared to get their vehicles damaged.
Old 07-07-21, 08:58 AM
Rick

There was no surprise here. Texas doesn't tolerate stupidity. As I stated previously. The felon will go from the hospital then to jail. Here is a more thorough news report of the man in the dodge charger. The felon did hit a women with his car and was injured in the face and shoulder.

Last edited by Rick; 07-07-21 at 11:52 AM.
Likes For Rick:
Old 07-07-21, 11:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Texas doesn't tolerate stupidity.
? I must have been reading about the recent activities of elected officials selected by the voters from a different Texas. Names could be provided in a P&R thread.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-07-21, 12:16 PM
Rick

? I must have been reading about the recent activities of elected officials selected by the voters from a different Texas. Names could be provided in a P&R thread.
Thanks for the info. I hope to see more threads just like this one.

Last edited by Rick; 07-07-21 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-07-21, 12:16 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Don't Mess With Texas
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-07-21, 12:30 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My wife and I are moving to Texas in the next 3 1/2 years or so.
Old 07-07-21, 02:28 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Chistophe516
This is like 'Did I just see them(Law Enforcement) do that(actually hold a motorist accountable for their behavior towards' a cyclist)?'. I wish a lot more of that happened. But Law Enforcement will just continue to make excuses. About why they did nothing about the motorist.

Ditto!!
I really wish every LEO and every citizen would have to take a bicycle law course. The level of ignorance in our society is inexcusable.
Old 07-07-21, 02:48 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 466 Posts
Serious question: how are we supposed to talk about an event that involves the forbidden three letter word without using the forbidden three letter word?

(Edit: I didn't know BF had a no forbidden three letter word rule.)

Last edited by shoota; 07-07-21 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-07-21, 03:49 PM
Rick

Serious question: how are we supposed to talk about an event that involves the forbidden three letter word without using the forbidden three letter word?
Your not allowed to. Only they are allowed to do this.
Old 07-07-21, 03:50 PM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
I think this is more about mental illness than anything else. The bicycle riders were on the sidewalk. This happened not too far from UH, just on the other side of i-45. I'm not familiar with that area, but it doesn't look that bad. And it was only 86° that day. It's not like it was 106°, heat which can have a heightened effect on the mentally unstable.
Old 07-07-21, 04:40 PM
Rick

I think this is more about mental illness than anything else. The bicycle riders were on the sidewalk. This happened not too far from UH, just on the other side of i-45. I'm not familiar with that area, but it doesn't look that bad. And it was only 86° that day. It's not like it was 106°, heat which can have a heightened effect on the mentally unstable.
People who act out like this are already angry before they see someone on a bicycle. They take out there rage on who they believe poses no threat to them. Most of the time the perp doesn't make contact with there motor vehicle. Very few of these incidents are reported to the police, and very few of the reported incidents make the news. Texas appears to be solving some of these problems.
Old 07-08-21, 10:02 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort is King
I carry three metal water bottles. Any trouble, any motorist tries to intimidate me or bully me, I pull it out and give them a good look. Still trouble? I hold it in the ready position to throw. That almost always works because people are scared to get their vehicles damaged.
In California, throwing anything at a vehicle IS a Felony.
A group beside the road "unintentionally" threw and hit (dented) my vehicle as I was driving home.
Police were all over it and even fingerprinted the item thrown.

Not saying you shouldn't defend yourself, just that you should be aware your actions might be misconstrued.

YMMV - depending on your State laws

Barry
Old 07-08-21, 11:03 AM
Rick

In California, throwing anything at a vehicle IS a Felony.
A group beside the road "unintentionally" threw and hit (dented) my vehicle as I was driving home.
Police were all over it and even fingerprinted the item thrown.

Not saying you shouldn't defend yourself, just that you should be aware your actions might be misconstrued.

YMMV - depending on your State laws

Barry

ARTICLE 1. Driving Offenses [23100 - 23135]
( Heading of Article 1 added by Stats. 1981, Ch. 940, Sec. 9. )
(a) Any person who throws any substance at a vehicle or any occupant thereof on a highway is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) Any person who with intent to do great bodily injury maliciously and willfully throws or projects any rock, brick, bottle, metal or other missile, or projects any other substance capable of doing serious bodily harm at such vehicle or occupant thereof is guilty of a felony and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

Because bicycles are not considered a vehicle under the law in most states including California. You don't have the same protections. I would like to know what the penalty is for a motorist or their passengers throwing things that hit someone riding a bicycle.
Old 07-08-21, 11:16 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

Outcomes like this are either rare or under-reported. It's refreshing to see authorities siding with the cyclist.
Old 07-10-21, 11:14 AM
Comfort is King

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts

ARTICLE 1. Driving Offenses [23100 - 23135]
( Heading of Article 1 added by Stats. 1981, Ch. 940, Sec. 9. )
(a) Any person who throws any substance at a vehicle or any occupant thereof on a highway is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) Any person who with intent to do great bodily injury maliciously and willfully throws or projects any rock, brick, bottle, metal or other missile, or projects any other substance capable of doing serious bodily harm at such vehicle or occupant thereof is guilty of a felony and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

Because bicycles are not considered a vehicle under the law in most states including California. You don't have the same protections. I would like to know what the penalty is for a motorist or their passengers throwing things that hit someone riding a bicycle.
I have a few examples from personal experience. It was snowing hard as I rode home. I was on a road with two lanes in each direction, traffic was light to moderate. To pass me would have been easy. There was no better way home, and the sidewalks had at least half a foot on them by then. I was controlling the lane as I always do there because there's no shoulder. A car got right behind me and began to honk. I pointed at the other lane. He tailed me and kept honking, so, as usual, I pulled out my metal water bottle and held it to the side, then finally in the ready position to throw. He passed me, got in front, then brake checked me, so I smashed out his rear window.

He really thought I would be the one in trouble. Nope. He would have been if I decided to press charges. I have other stories. The main point is, once somebody threatens you or weaponizes their vehicle, you can defend yourself. Especially if you provide ample warning. Feels so good to get instant revenge. I don't care whatsoever about metal, plastic, or glass.
Likes For Comfort is King:
Old 07-14-21, 02:09 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Yeah, this is internet tough guy talk. You live in a country where people get road rage all the time, and a guy driving a car is going to be scared off and speed away after you claim to hurl a bottle at a window and shatter it? Even if you successfully broke his window, which is not impossible, but highly unlikely, and if instead of running you down in a fit of rage, he hung around, and the police were called...there's no evidence he weaponized his vehicle but there would have been ample evidence you assaulted him and caused property damage, if this neat story was true. Oh, and the bit about being an ambassador for other cyclists, thanks, its people like you that make non cyclists think we are all a-holes.
Likes For Badger6:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.