Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The chicks have hatched

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

The chicks have hatched

Old 07-11-21, 04:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,455 Posts
The chicks have hatched

Bought a Texas bird book and these are Cliff swallows I think there is about 4 baby birds in the nest. Both parents are involved in feeding the chicks. Look closely one is sticking it’s head out. It has been cool watching them build the nest having young and watching how they make it all work.

Here is a better picture.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 07-11-21 at 04:53 PM.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-11-21, 06:17 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 153 Posts
Nice!!

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/...fuge-art-trail

^ This place is a hotspot for nesting swallows.
Under the eaves of the bathrooms and the roofs over some maps/displays.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-11-21, 08:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Been to Aberdeen Washington some years back so I was close.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-11-21, 09:44 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 1,049 Posts
A songbird built a nest in my raspberries next to my house between the walk from the driveway to patio. Discovered it pulling dead twigs out of the raspberries - 2 feet from my head! Mom wasn't around but there were three little sky blue eggs with speckles.

Sadly I had already contracted someone to adjust the patio slab with serious power equipment. All went past the nest. I was so caught up in the project I forgot completely about the nest. It survived. Mom later twice lead me away acting injured. But either my activity or the fact that the eggs were in full sight of the nearby trees (or probably a combo of both) lead to mom abandoning the nest. There are a lot of crows and I cannot believe they didn't know full well that nest and those tasty eggs were there. With mom not there to put up a fight, I suspect there was a pouched egg dinner.
Old 07-11-21, 09:52 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,582 Times in 1,049 Posts
And closer to topic: years ago swifts used to nest under the eave over the walk of the small stripmall I used to go to for haircuts. If I had a wait, I hang outside and watch them. And on a much bigger scale, an osprey pair have a nest at the telephone tower at the edge of a nature park south of Portland. You can view it from the cliff inside the park where the nest is barely above eye level. Each spring, they add a lot more material to the nest. So, every three years, the phone company cleans it out. The ospreys come back and start from scratch; no problem.
Old 07-11-21, 09:52 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 241 Posts
The neatest part is yet to come. When they get a little bit older, they will sleep with their butts hanging out of the nest at night so they don't poop in the nest. Human babies have a harder time learning to keep the 'house' clean. (Even a lot of adult humans)
Old 07-11-21, 11:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 2,205 Times in 1,423 Posts
I don't miss the maintenance chores of our former rural home, but with 3 acres on a lakefront in an unincorporated part of a rural county, we had plenty of wildlife to enjoy. There was a martin house on a pole. Barn owl in the barn. I left some parts of the garden and yard unmowed to encourage wildflowers for the butterflies, including a patch of milkweed for the Monarchs.

In the city most of the pests are known as "neighbors".
Old 07-11-21, 11:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
And closer to topic: years ago swifts used to nest under the eave over the walk of the small stripmall I used to go to for haircuts. If I had a wait, I hang outside and watch them. And on a much bigger scale, an osprey pair have a nest at the telephone tower at the edge of a nature park south of Portland. You can view it from the cliff inside the park where the nest is barely above eye level. Each spring, they add a lot more material to the nest. So, every three years, the phone company cleans it out. The ospreys come back and start from scratch; no problem.
As a kid in the 1970s we lived on the far end of Long Island, one of the few other places that were home to ospreys. The town put up utility poles with platforms just for the osprey, no other function. They were considered close to sacred. The local newspaper had a gossip column written from the perspective of a fictional osprey reporter eavesdropping on the town.

Only problem was they liked to crack their shellfish by dropping them on the paved roads. Those oyster shells were razors on bike tires.
Old 07-12-21, 12:09 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
In the city most of the pests are known as "neighbors".
We saw this ridiculous creature on the stucco wall surrounding a dumpster at the diner in Milpitas today. My sister the bird behavior biologist says it's a majestic Black-Crowned Night Heron. Probably sent there by drought conditions at his normal hangout. He seemed pretty relieved to be picking scraps out of the dumpster instead of desiccated frogs out of the dry river bed

Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-12-21, 12:45 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
We saw this ridiculous creature on the stucco wall surrounding a dumpster at the diner in Milpitas today. My sister the bird behavior biologist says it's a majestic Black-Crowned Night Heron. Probably sent there by drought conditions at his normal hangout. He seemed pretty relieved to be picking scraps out of the dumpster instead of desiccated frogs out of the dry river bed

Despite being in the city now, we see a lot of critters, including herons and cranes, because the Trinity River and tributaries run throughout the area, providing a freeway for critters to travel relatively safely.

So it's not unusual, in the suburbs and even some parts of the city, to see -- besides the usual trash pandas and possums -- an occasional fox or coyote, hawks and owls, bobcats and, recently, feral hogs. Lots of deer too, my main concern on night rides. Snakes aplenty, including rattlers. Tarantulas.

Seems like the pandemic may have led to some increase in wildlife in suburban and even urban areas. For awhile there was far less vehicle traffic. Some construction was postponed indefinitely, and the partially completed development displaced some wildlife while providing access from rural to developed areas. And the weather patterns have changed, which probably affects wildlife movement as well.

Reminds me of graffiti I saw on a large Safeway store after they went out of business here in Texas and Oklahoma. A planned development community stalled after that huge supermarket closed, so the surroundings were like a ghost town that was never inhabited. The graffiti read "In the end the prairie takes back its own."

Photos and reports from Chernobyl indicate the wild flora and fauna managed to thrive despite the nuclear disaster.

Across the street from us is a vacant lot, maybe 3-5 acres, with signs that always promise development that never occurs. Some developer will have the lot mowed, put up signs and then... nothing. It takes only a year or two for the lot to revert to native Texas prairie. I prefer it that way. It's very photogenic. Back in 2014 I spent much of that year photographing that vacant lot at all hours. If I framed the photos carefully a viewer wouldn't know the place was only 100 yards from apartment complexes and a seedy convenience store. It looked like any photos of remote Texas prairie.

We're just tourists here and the cockroaches and other critters will wait us out.
Old 07-12-21, 05:19 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 393 Posts
Predatory birds as well as predators of all species have come back in a big way around here. We were walking on the rail trail and there was a hawk whistling around this boggy stream area. I whistled to him, unable to reach his high pitch, but that seemed to alert him, and he whistled back and came closer. This pic is from my iPhone 12 (not the pro), and its as good as I could get it, so sorry for the poor quality.

Old 07-12-21, 05:34 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post

You want to keep an eye on that bird and his friends lest you end up with "Planet Bin Chicken"

Old 07-12-21, 09:53 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts

Likes For mtnbud:
Old 07-12-21, 09:54 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
The neatest part is yet to come. When they get a little bit older, they will sleep with their butts hanging out of the nest at night so they don't poop in the nest. Human babies have a harder time learning to keep the 'house' clean. (Even a lot of adult humans)
Yup lol, they just started pooping over the nest. Luckily I have an old rug to catch the mess.
Old 07-18-21, 09:16 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Yup lol, they just started pooping over the nest. Luckily I have an old rug to catch the mess.
Yup, the chicks have definitely started to poop and poop they do going to clean off the rug today.

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-18-21, 09:56 AM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 71 Posts
Maybe put down newspaper or something? (unless, of course, you are okay with tossing the rug and doing some serious scrubbing of the concrete later.)
Old 07-18-21, 07:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

I will power wash the carpet that will do it lol.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-22-21, 02:58 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

The chicks are now in flight school it didn’t take them too long.

The two parents are to the right not in the picture.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-22-21, 03:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 380 Posts
Chicks (ducklings) with Mom and Dad observed on today's bike ride:

Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-26-21, 04:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

The cliff swallows have flown off and abandoned the nest. I was reading that they do that after the young can fly off. I will wait a few days then tear down the nest since it’s on a garage light and I didn’t want to cook them.