Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Quick release recommendations...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Quick release recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-21, 10:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Ti skewers fail. Seen way too many.

To echo everyone else - sorry but Shimano internal cam skewers are the only correct option. I even stopped providing skewers for our wheels we sold.

As for Shimano on SRAM - who cares. Last SRAM skewer I saw was the same skewer we were branding for ourselves just with the SRAM logo on it. I still recommend a Shimano skewer.
There's another issue with ti skewers also. You simply cannot get them as tight. The material of the skewer stretches twice as much for a given tension. (Modulus of elasticity - the force required to force a given cross section of material a given amount. Here steel rules. Ti stretches twice as much, aluminum three times. Anywhere else, you compensate by going thicker with lighter materials but here you cannot because the skewer must fit inside the axle.

With well aligned vertical dropouts, a poor QR skewer works just fine. If you are comfortable with a lesser skewer in the front hub, where failure will lead to a bad crash, near guaranteed, go for the light stuff. If you want a QR that really is secure, don't settle for less than a steel skewer.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-13-21, 10:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Sure. And if there were internal thread in the ends of a TA hub, you'd be able to get away with two short bolts rather than one 150mm bolt. I usually don't carry tools tho.
This is an option for Phil Wood hubs. I use them on one front wheel I have on my city bike that has a very stiff Jandd (sp) lowrider stye rack. Those bolts are shorter and sleeker than any QR and far easier to get through the rack. (Phil uses a 6mm allen which is interchangeable with a common English allen.)
Old 07-14-21, 04:52 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Shimano skewers here as well. I've used the DT Swiss RWS skewers for awhile, but got tired of ratcheting it around the fork's dropout (took longer). I didn't notice a difference in feel.