Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

20 mile one way commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

20 mile one way commute

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 08:44 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
20 mile one way commute

Does any commute 20 miles one way consistently? What are your tips? How many times a week do you commute on your bicycle? I will be doing this once the office open's back up and wondering whether or not it's possible to commute consistently by bicycle. I have commuted 12 miles one way before up to four times a week. What are your thoughts? Suggestions? Thank You
Old 05-12-21, 09:06 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I did this commute for 7 yrs before Covid. You've got less rain so should be doable. I would usually average about 4 times a week during the year as I would need to drive for one reason or another. I also could take a bus partway home if it was a long week. I used a road bike with good tires and cycling clothes; tried not to waste any energy. Good luck! I hope to get back to commuting in the next few months.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 05-12-21, 10:56 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I did this commute for 7 yrs before Covid. You've got less rain so should be doable. I would usually average about 4 times a week during the year as I would need to drive for one reason or another. I also could take a bus partway home if it was a long week. I used a road bike with good tires and cycling clothes; tried not to waste any energy. Good luck! I hope to get back to commuting in the next few months.
I think it’s great to try the 20 everyday but do not feel badly if you combine motor vehicle assistance for part of your commute. A 5 or 10 mile commute is still significant.
Likes For debade:
Old 05-13-21, 06:22 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have a 35 mile round trip commute, and do it 3X times per week. It's really not a problem except that it is a time commitment.

I have the option fo riding the train if need be but rarely do.
Likes For timdow:
Old 05-13-21, 08:06 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I certainly think such a bicycle commute is doable, but you certainly have to consider the time commitment, the weather, the amount of daylight available, and your work hours. You might be able to make things a little easier by combining car, bus, or train with the biking.

Before COVID, I did a 34 mile round trip an average of 1.5 times a week (once or twice a week). My biggest problems were dealing with the almost daily Central Florida afternoon lightening storms during the summer and the shorter daylight hours during the winter. Sometimes I drove part way and biked the rest when the weather was not cooperative or when daylight was short. During COVID, I have been riding more often, but for shorter distances.
Likes For RonE:
Old 05-13-21, 09:49 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Ran into folks who did this for years. Yes, it is doable. At times it get to be a pain. (Weather.) The thing is, it puts a lot of wear and tear on your bike. Make sure you have a back-up bike ready and set to go when your other bike needs tires or something.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 05-17-21, 10:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I had a 13.4-mile (one-way) commute. It was too tiring to do every day. I did it two or three days a week. Some people are stronger or tougher or whatever, and yes, there are some who commute 20 miles each way every day. But they are rare. If you want to incorporate cycling into your commuting, there are various ways of doing it. My way is one way. Another is using the bike for part of the way and another mode for the other part. Or you can alternate if that works, such as driving in (with bike in car), cycling home, then doing the opposite on the next day.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-17-21, 10:24 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I had a 21 miles commute for 2 years until covid killed it. It is doable. I drove a car during bonafide rain days. It is totally doable. My commute was 2100 feet of elevation gain too. Actually, the time commitment is a wonderful choice to free yourself from any other chores or unnecessary car hours. I loved it.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 05-17-21, 11:08 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
All you can do is give it a try. My commute here in the states ranges from 16 to 18.5 (and on some occasions is 31.5) miles depending on which route I take. When I lived in the UK it was 21.5 miles. Most I've done is 3 days a week both here in the states and back in the UK. I usually have longer rides on the weekend and I'm not in shape enough to commute 5 days and still enjoy my long rides on the weekends. Plus I like to drive in and refresh my clothes, stock up the fridge with lunch fixings, etc. at least once a week. I don't carry anything on my commute other than my wallet, phone, keys, and tube/pump in my jersey pockets so would always drive in at least one day a week.

I'd say go for it and see how it goes!
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-17-21, 11:27 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I did 21 one way 2-3 times a week for a couple of years, until I decided the 'suicide' mile wasn't worth the risk. Never found a viable alternative to that one mile near the office. Land locked by airport and industrial parks.
Likes For gear64:
Old 05-17-21, 11:36 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I used to commute about 12-15 miles each way on a daily bases for a copula years. My biggest problem was not the time or distance. It was having a back up in case of inclement weather or mechanical failure.

One time popped a tire and ended up bending my wheel tipping over to the side of the road. A passer by, who had seen me riding regularly on the road, threw me and my bike into the back of his truck and drove us on to work. I still appreciate that ride for sure...
Old 05-17-21, 10:20 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Does any commute 20 miles one way consistently? What are your tips? How many times a week do you commute on your bicycle? I will be doing this once the office open's back up and wondering whether or not it's possible to commute consistently by bicycle. I have commuted 12 miles one way before up to four times a week. What are your thoughts? Suggestions? Thank You
My commute is just under 25 miles one way. 48.2 round trip, to be precise. I work 4 days a week (Mon-Thurs) and I ride 3 of them usually. If I'm feeling haggard, I'll drop a day and only do 2. I try to ride in all weather, save for lightning storms and winds over 20 mph.
I've been doing it for almost a year now. Covid is the reason I had time to ramp up my miles and get to this point.
A few things to know:

1- It's a time commitment. I'm on the bike appx. 3 hours a day. Leave at 8:30 am and return home around 7:30 pm. My significant other is lovely and very understanding that this is a good thing for me and it winds up being good for the relationship.

2- If you are not used to those sorts of miles, take it gradually and be nice to your body. I went a little gonzo at first and my quads, lower back and forearms told me to chill TF out. I made a couple small adjustments to my contact points (bike fit) and pay attention to my form when riding and all's been well.

3- Pay attention to your nutrition and sleep. If you want to maintain longer commutes regularly, fuel and rest as your body/mind requires.

4- Enjoy the time alone on the bike! Even though sometimes I hammer, I always feel good about riding and try to remember to count my blessings that I'm healthy enough to be doing it.

Hope any of this helps and that you create a situation that works for you!
Likes For bargo68:
Old 05-18-21, 12:12 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I had a 33 mile roundtrip commute with roughly 1700 ft elevation gain (more on the way in). Most I ever did was 4 days before I felt shattered, but that's because I have a habit of going hard whenever I ride outside and rolling in with as much drained from the tank as possible on the day.

People who do it everyday without breaks are wisely taking it a bit easier. I agree with what others already posted about considering other ways of commuting if you don't feel up for it on a particular day, and that rest does wonders.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-18-21, 06:02 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Yes, all the comments here are very helpful. Thank You. The time and distance commitment are daunting. I've even thought of getting a class 3 ebike, peddling of course, but I think being on the bike 1 hour each way is kind of a good my time limit. I am considering two to three times a week as suggested if we ever get back to working onsite. My other alternative is getting a motorscooter aka Vespa. I looked at a GTS 250ie this weekend, but decided against forking out the money for now. I don't own a car but I have commuted on bicycle for three years now and scooter for about 16 years. Thank You again for your insight. I don't consider myself a cyclist per se, more of a commuter/lifestyle bicyclist. Thank You again.
Old 06-02-21, 09:05 PM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
I was doing 19ish miles one way for a month and loved it. It takes time, but I just enjoyed it very much. On the way home I would crack open a beer midway to enjoy and I did enjoy it. Well sometimes 2 10% beers, but then I was buzz riding, but it was after midnight as I worked second shift, so I was alone for the most part.

If you have the time, no problem. I am riding over 20 miles on the way into work now and it is VERY hilly, and sometimes I do it on a fixie. I just love riding a bike, so for me it is great. Enjoy.
Likes For h_curtis:
Old 06-02-21, 10:14 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Yes, all the comments here are very helpful. Thank You. The time and distance commitment are daunting. I've even thought of getting a class 3 ebike, peddling of course, but I think being on the bike 1 hour each way is kind of a good my time limit. I am considering two to three times a week as suggested if we ever get back to working onsite. My other alternative is getting a motorscooter aka Vespa. I looked at a GTS 250ie this weekend, but decided against forking out the money for now. I don't own a car but I have commuted on bicycle for three years now and scooter for about 16 years. Thank You again for your insight. I don't consider myself a cyclist per se, more of a commuter/lifestyle bicyclist. Thank You again.
on a class 3 ebike you could possibly do that commute in an hour, but it’ll depend a lot on the roads.

weather would be the biggest factor for me. riding an hour on a lovely morning with just a bit of motor boost, absolutely. an hour in the pouring rain, swirling wind, 90 degree heat and humidity, etc… nope.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 06-03-21, 11:53 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
pre-covid I rode about 8 miles each way 3 days a week. Then covid hit, office shut down, and I moved. When office reopens my commute will be 21 miles each way but the route is more enjoyable... but 21 miles. I'll be only going in 1-2 days a week and that should be permanent, so I think for me it's going to be doable. I'm mostly scared of riding home for an hour and half when it's 115 in the height of summer, 30 minutes seemed just about right for that.
Likes For RoadKill:
Old 07-14-21, 03:28 PM
Saltuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you did 12 miles each way 4x week, you should be able to do 20. I used to ride 36 miles round trip every day year round ( except hard rain and snow). Averaged 4 days a week. I did this for years until a job change made it impossible. Most important is you have a safe route. Mine was neighborhood roads and bike path, then about 1mile in city. Pace yourself, don’t get in a race with other riders or you’ll be wiped out by Friday. Full fenders. Separate pair of shorts for the ride home. I loved it, will try to start again when I go back to the office.
Likes For Saltuscany:
Old 07-14-21, 03:45 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I did 18 miles each way for a couple years or at least when I wasn't out of the country.

If you are young, fit, and the job does not have stress, it is doable.

I was lucky, the CEO was a cyclist and he let me use his shower
Likes For GhostRider62: