Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Gosh Darn Wahoo!!!

Old 07-14-21, 05:22 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
Gosh Darn Wahoo!!!

Man how the mighty have fallen. Used to love my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, but it's just been getting more and more buggy over the years. I have an ongoing list of issues, but the latest one is the sudden stop of SMS messages showing up on screen. Nothing has changed in my settings, the app and firmware are up to date, so I can only assume that one of these updates screwed with my particular model of phone, and something isn't compatible, or some permission/setting changed. I have checked all of the settings on the phone and device, and everything seems to be in order. I've tried many of the suggested fixes I found by Googling it, nothing seems to work. It went from working on one ride, to not working at all the next, and nothing seems to fix it.

Anyone having the same issue with text messages not working on a Wahoo computer? I have no idea what else to try, I've tried practically everything, including deleting the app and reinstalling. The last resort is a factory reset, but I don't know if that'll fix it, and I really don't want to do that, I don't know what that's gonna screw up, including losing all of my data pages. Wahoo used to be the less ****ty version of Garmin, far less buggy, but they sure have caught up...

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-15-21 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to bypass forum censor
Old 07-15-21, 05:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,297 Times in 2,690 Posts
Bummer. Sounds like time for a factory reset or a new unit if that doesn't work. Good luck!
Old 07-15-21, 06:07 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I have *never* had a problem with my Roam - and I've even hacked it a bit by adding custom icons for when it is paired to a Garmin Varia radar tail light.

in fact it is the single most rock-solid electronic device I have ever owned.

Something has gone terribly wrong with yours - I hope it is an easy fix.
Old 07-15-21, 06:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
I have a feeling there is something going on with the phone. Is it an older phone? Wahoo gives up on older versions of phone OS very quickly in my estimation. They told me to buy a new phone when I had a problem with my kickr. But it may be something like a cache issue on the phone.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-15-21, 09:17 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
Which methods did you use attempting to fix it? I recently had to “forget” my Bolt on my iPhone12 when Strava routes wouldn’t sync. There had been recent updates to both devices, but I don’t know what caused the issue…it could have been on Strava’s end for all I know. Anyway, after reconnecting, it works as it’s supposed again.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-15-21, 11:05 AM
Ronkc45

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Messages not coming in on the Bolt almost always happens to me after an app update...
Forget phone on Bolt
Forget Bolt in app
Forget Bolt in bluetooth settings
Scan QR and add phone
Likes For Ronkc45:
Old 07-15-21, 09:00 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
IPhone

My Bolt and Roam are having a tough time with Bluetooth sensors lately and especially if my iPhone is anywhere near.
I just went and disabled background refresh on all iPhone apps in the hope it will help.

Barry
Old 07-25-21, 09:32 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 79 Posts
I got my Moto mechanic a T-shirt that says
"They All Do That"

I really think that all the devices need a Consumer Reports like chart of reliability.
Irate Folks seem to switch brands like my Grand Pa used to switch schuls.
1 in 5 rides buggy on my Karoo, but they (HH) are responsive and it has a great screen
Garmin 530+ vexes me in ways I cannot mention without apologizing to God.
"With Complexity Comes Great Responsibility"
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 07-25-21, 09:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Sometimes it amazes me that bluetooth is so ubiquitous because it works poorly much of the time. I have to forget my car from my phone once a week, for example. I had to spend 5 minutes getting music to play on my bluetooth headphones yesterday. I think my garmin watch and 830 gps work okay with bluetooth, but I had to disable notifications on the 830 because CVS had a bad habit of calling me for no reason when I was on early Sunday morning rides.
Old 07-25-21, 01:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Sometimes it amazes me that bluetooth is so ubiquitous because it works poorly much of the time. I have to forget my car from my phone once a week, for example. I had to spend 5 minutes getting music to play on my bluetooth headphones yesterday. I think my garmin watch and 830 gps work okay with bluetooth, but I had to disable notifications on the 830 because CVS had a bad habit of calling me for no reason when I was on early Sunday morning rides.
Maybe the reason Hammerhead has stayed away from BT for getting data to and off the device, prefering WiFi instead, to the extent of adding a SIM card slot for users to use cheap cell data. WiFi is seemingly far more reliable. HH does use BT to get call and text notifications from a phone, but that's it.
Old 07-25-21, 01:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

My 830 will use wifi, but I'm not sure I ever set it up. So far it just works to upload files to strava/garmin connect, so I'm not digging into it.
Old 07-29-21, 07:27 AM
DuraAcer

Bikes: 1979 Olmo SG Full Panto, 1986 DeRosa SLX, 1989 Eddy Merckx SLX Team-Stuttgart, 1994 Albuch Kotter Cromor, 2006 Campus/Rohloff

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
My Wahoo roam works since two years like an absolute charm and never let me down, would buy anytime again.
Likes For DuraAcer:
Old 07-29-21, 07:38 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
My Bolt and Roam are having a tough time with Bluetooth sensors lately and especially if my iPhone is anywhere near.
I just went and disabled background refresh on all iPhone apps in the hope it will help.

Barry
I’ve been having issues with BT sensors as well and it’s been going on for quite some time. Every time I get it working they come up with a new update that jacks it up again. Getting a bit annoying, to be perfectly honest
Old 08-23-21, 03:12 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
4 years with my bolt and no problems. IPhone X and all wahoo sensors.