Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about Leg Shaving

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Question about Leg Shaving

Old 07-16-21, 09:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Cycling is the only activity where a bunch of overweight dudes will argue endlessly the benefits of aerodynamics and bicycle weight reduction.
So ..... the paragon of wisdom you have hatched is "Cycling is the only sport where participants will discuss cycling."

Deep, man .........
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-16-21, 09:42 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
So ..... the paragon of wisdom you have hatched is "Cycling is the only sport where participants will discuss cycling."

Deep, man .........
No, but it is hilarious that guys who are likely 15+lbs overweigh will shave their legs because of the aerodynamic improvement.
Old 07-16-21, 09:48 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't care about shaving legs much one way or another, but boy did you lose me with this post. Sheesh, talk about selective reading....

If you ride several thousand miles a year, pretty good odds you'll get a spot of road rash once in a while.
Agreed. I rarely go down on the road/commuter/gravel bikes (looking back, maybe about once every 7,000 miles), but when I ride technical mtb, I come home bleeding just about every time, though the mtb falls are a lot slower, and therefore less damaging, as compared to my road crashes. So my leg shaving is mostly for the inevitable mtb falls.
Old 07-16-21, 09:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

No, but it is hilarious that guys who are likely 15+lbs overweigh will shave their legs because of the aerodynamic improvement.
By that logic, everyone who isn't anorexic-skinny should be riding Huffys.

I get the humor. But the aero benefit applies no matter what you weigh. In the same way, I ride a sub-17-pound CF bike with full Ultegra. I weight an eighth of a ton, and very little of it is muscle. One could laugh at all the money I wasted, building a lightweight bike for a fat rider.

On the other hand ..... no one has to go to driver's school before buying a Corvette. Fact is, a really good driver in an econobox could beat most unschooled drivers in Corvettes or Camaros .... but the thing is the fat guy Wants a Corvette .... even if he only uses it to get groceries. He can still do more, or at least has the Potential to do more, with the Corvette than with a lo-budget Hyundai. Driving the Corvette is more fun, even if he drives it at exactly the same speeds as he drives his wife's minivan.

I think the funniest part is that people can't make up their own minds, and once they do, still seem to need reinforcement form like-minded folks .... Dudes, shave or not, who freaking cares?

But ... people are people.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-16-21, 10:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
So at what point do people have your permission to seek optimizations to go as fast as their current fitness allows?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-16-21, 10:09 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
If I was actually any good, I'd shave just for the potential of saving some seconds in a triathlon or a TT, but I'd miss my hairy legs.

​​​​​​How much it would turn out to be in real world air conditions is anyone's guess (maybe do some laps around a circuit, shave, and repeat at the same power, hmm), but any free time would be welcome.

As for road rash, eh, when I scrape off bits of skin it scrapes off the hair, too, so 🤷‍♂️
Old 07-16-21, 10:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Leg shaving and hair removal is a feminine trait...There is really no good reason for a man to shave his legs
Trait?! You think this is genetic?

Oh, wait, you probably do.....
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-16-21, 10:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Cycling is the only activity where a bunch of overweight dudes will argue endlessly the benefits of,,, bicycle weight reduction.
I left out aerodynamic from your quote because that was rather silly--overweight dudes argue about aerodynamics in lots of activities.

What's left seems like a pretty low bar. Overweight dudes in activities other than bicycling don't argue about the benefits of bicycle weight reduction? Shocking.

You might want to give up on the smart-alec routine, it's not looking good on you.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-16-21, 10:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I thought the Pros shave so when they crash it's easier to clean the dirt and gravel out of the wound.

If you want to go faster... ride more.
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Shaving is for crashing, makes it easier when they're wire brushing the gravel rash and stops hairs being pulled out by the road surface.
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
After healing from a crash with a lot of road rash on my legs, I started shaving my legs, just in case it should happen again (it did.) Cleaning and bandage changing is a lot easier with smooth skin.

If you're not sure you want to, just shave one leg and do some rides for comparison purposes.
Originally Posted by Riveting
I shave for multiple reasons, and increased speed nor aesthetics are one of them.
- Proactive preparation for cleaning the rash after a crash, especially prior to riding mtb, where there's a lot more to clean out
- Easier to put on, and adjust leg warmers without hairs getting pulled, and the warmers seem to stay in place on bare skin better than hair
- Mounting Electrical Muscle Stimulator (EMS) electrodes above and below the knee for quad therapy
- Easier to apply sunscreen

I've never had a single ingrown hair, thankfully, since I shave 100% of the leg, from ankle to groin, and then some. When nude, I don't want to look like I'm wearing fur shorts. I also shave my sit spots to reduce the hair pull irritation down there. TMI?
Originally Posted by joeruge
I've heard of two reasons why pro's shave their legs and neither reason is because it makes them more aerodynamic. (There maybe some evidence that hairy legs actually increase aerodynamics; the hair my hold a boundary layer of air. Think of dimpled golf balls. Also several riders in this year's Tour are sporting beards. If hair really affected aero, those guys would probably shave. And there's Pocacar's hair sticking out of his helmet all over the place)

The first is to help with road rash and scabs. A second reason I've heard is to make it easier for the masseuse that travels with pro teams to give them their after ride rub down. Since few of us mortals have a masseuse on retainer, I think that excuse for shaving goes away.
I was told to shave for easy and less painful bandage removal. Discovered other post crash benefits as well.

1) less road rash. (The hairs near the actual wound aren't being ripped out as you slide over the pavement.)
2) no dirty hairs in the wound. And the nurse doesn't have to pick them out.
3) much nicer bandage removal (of tape on already raw skin)
4) faster healing, less scar tissue
5) more comfortable riding post crash (bike racers don't get to take weeks off the bike; tourists and commuters many not want to either)

And 6) The sweet words from the ER nurse. "Thank you for shaving so I don't have to." (That shave of very raw skin is a lot of fun. Not.)
Old 07-16-21, 11:04 AM
Maelochs

I understand that the pro racers crash a lot. They ride for reasons and in situations which sane riders would avoid. ..... I tend to not crash. I call it "Riding a bike," as opposed to "Falling off a bike," which is not my chosen sport.

Also, nurses don't have to pick hairs out of the wound ... they have to pick Everything out of the wound. This includes sand and gravel, which tend to embed in the flesh, whereas the hairs mostly come off with water (or betadine or whatever the staff uses.) The gravel is what's hard to get out, in my experience.

And "road rash" isn't hairs being ripped off, it is Skin being ripped off. I want to see scientific data proving that wounds are larger on unshaven flesh--and that hairs are being individually pulled out of the skin and tearing the skin with it. Every time I have ever crashed (and back in my crazy days that was way too often) I never had hairs pulled out .... the pavement just abraded away the skin, hairs and all. What, do some people ride where gravel has tiny hands which grab the individual hairs?

As for faster healing and less scar tissue ... explain that please. The damaged flesh is gone, whether or not it was hairy. The are where there si no flesh will heal over, and sometimes for m scar tissue---regardless of how hairy the flesh which is no longer there might have been. Do the new skin cells somehow learn whether the old skin cells were shaven or not, and regrow accordingly?
Also .... if the skin is ripped off, why would they skin need to be shaved? It has already been shaved by the pavement. The tape would go on the Unripped skin .... and a little alcohol will help dissolve the glue on the tape (apply that carefully, of course.) And if the skin is raw And the nurse is shaving it, she is just a sadist.

But again .... if you make a choice and feel a need to defend it ... go ahead. I personally think personal decisions are personal. Your mileage is sure to vary.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-16-21, 12:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

By that logic, everyone who isn't anorexic-skinny should be riding Huffys.

I get the humor. But the aero benefit applies no matter what you weigh. In the same way, I ride a sub-17-pound CF bike with full Ultegra. I weight an eighth of a ton, and very little of it is muscle. One could laugh at all the money I wasted, building a lightweight bike for a fat rider.

On the other hand ..... no one has to go to driver's school before buying a Corvette. Fact is, a really good driver in an econobox could beat most unschooled drivers in Corvettes or Camaros .... but the thing is the fat guy Wants a Corvette .... even if he only uses it to get groceries. He can still do more, or at least has the Potential to do more, with the Corvette than with a lo-budget Hyundai. Driving the Corvette is more fun, even if he drives it at exactly the same speeds as he drives his wife's minivan.

I think the funniest part is that people can't make up their own minds, and once they do, still seem to need reinforcement form like-minded folks .... Dudes, shave or not, who freaking cares?

But ... people are people.

My thinking is if getting the fancy racing bike motivates you to ride more or you just like having it for whatever reason, who the heck am I to find it funny?

I would be offended if an untalented amateur was playing bad music on a Stradivarius, but that's because each one of those is an irreplaceable treasure that should be in the hands of a master musician. There's lots of lightweight bikes, so if thee or me care to putter around on one, who bloody cares?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-16-21, 12:25 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,438 Times in 1,738 Posts
Also .... if the skin is ripped off, why would they skin need to be shaved? It has already been shaved by the pavement. The tape would go on the Unripped skin.
The best dressing for basic road rash is Tegaderm, a transparent film that acts as a sterile barrier with a moist environment, so skin heals quickly without scabbing.

Tegaderm adheres better and stays in place longer when applied over smooth, hairless skin.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-16-21, 12:34 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So at what point do people have your permission to seek optimizations to go as fast as their current fitness allows?
Nobody needs my permission. Do it or don't do it. I don't care, and my opinion doesn't matter unless you ask for it. I still think it's funny that fat guys are seriously more obsessed with every nit-noid aerodynamic detail and every gram of weight on their bike than they are about maybe getting in better shape and losing bodyweight. But then I have a twisted sense of humor that has been know to offend at times.
Old 07-16-21, 12:40 PM
pgjackson

My thinking is if getting the fancy racing bike motivates you to ride more or you just like having it for whatever reason, who the heck am I to find it funny?

I would be offended if an untalented amateur was playing bad music on a Stradivarius, but that's because each one of those is an irreplaceable treasure that should be in the hands of a master musician. There's lots of lightweight bikes, so if thee or me care to putter around on one, who bloody cares?
I agree. Whatever gets you out on the road works. If shaving your legs makes you want to ride more, then do it. One of the most humbling experiences I've had in cycling is hammering away on my 16lb CF bike wearing a sweet racing kit thinking I'm hot-s#it when some old dude on an old-school steel 10-speed with downtube shifters, rear-view mirrors and and a camera bag on the handlebars says "on your left" and passes me like I'm barely moving. That is the moment I realized it really has nothing to do with your gear.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 07-16-21, 12:40 PM
WhyFi

Nobody needs my permission. Do it or don't do it. I don't care, and my opinion doesn't matter unless you ask for it. I still think it's funny that fat guys are seriously more obsessed with every nit-noid aerodynamic detail and every gram of weight on their bike than they are about maybe getting in better shape and losing bodyweight. But then I have a twisted sense of humor that has been know to offend at times.
Optimizing doesn't preclude getting in to better shape; they're not mutually exclusive and many people with shaved legs and light bikes are putting in work that you wouldn't see from your vantage point.

Also, don't flatter yourself that people are objecting to your peculiar sense of humor - they're pointing out that you're not making any sense beyond vague male insecurities.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-16-21, 12:41 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by terrymorse
The best dressing for basic road rash is Tegaderm, a transparent film that acts as a sterile barrier with a moist environment, so skin heals quickly without scabbing.

Tegaderm adheres better and stays in place longer when applied over smooth, hairless skin.
Concur. That stuff is great. Used it on a leg tattoo recently. Really does keep everything dry and clean and does not fall off.
Old 07-16-21, 12:44 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Optimizing doesn't preclude getting in to better shape; they're not mutually exclusive and many people with shaved legs and light bikes are putting in work that you wouldn't see from your vantage point.

Also, don't flatter yourself that people are objecting to your peculiar sense of humor - they're pointing out that you're not making any sense beyond vague male insecurities.
I made plenty of sense, you just disagree with my opinion. Nothing wrong with that. There is room for all of us.
Old 07-16-21, 12:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

. But then I have a trite sense of humor that has been know to offend at times.
FIFY. There's nothing less original than fat jokes.

We get the joke, it's just a crappy one.

And to be honest, I think the main reason people argue about such things is that it's fun to argue about such things. It really doesn't matter whether you're fat or not.
Old 07-16-21, 12:54 PM
WhyFi

I made plenty of sense, you just disagree with my opinion. Nothing wrong with that. There is room for all of us.
You've made no sense (beyond the lens of insecurity) and you've spilled more digital ink within the thread than anyone else. "...doth protest too much," perhaps?
Old 07-16-21, 12:57 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I've been on Eliquis since last election day, and just resumed long distance riding a couple months ago. I'm probably on a lower dose than you, because my cuts do clot fairly normally, just take a little tiny it longer.

I didn't have the cancer, but I can tell you I'm not a fan of bilateral lung blood clots. They messed me up good.
I"m taking Eliquis (5 mg, morning and evening) after bilateral pulmonary embolisms. Gotta agree with you, the clots messed me up good too. I couldn't believe the discomfort. The Eliquis took the pain away after about 2 days, but still not sure that I don't have after-effects from them.
Old 07-16-21, 01:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Actually, no, you're getting crap because you told a bad insulting joke. I'm neither fat now that I put in an immense effort to lose 140+ pounds, nor am I bike-weight obsessed, but given you just wrote about old guys passing you on 10 speeds while riding your very light bike, why would you think it appropriate to imply that optimization measures are wasted because someone is a bit overweight? Talk about pot kettle black!
Old 07-16-21, 01:03 PM
pgjackson

FIFY. There's nothing less original than fat jokes.

We get the joke, it's just a crappy one.

And to be honest, I think the main reason people argue about such things is that it's fun to argue about such things. It really doesn't matter whether you're fat or not.
Then don't get offended about it. Sometimes it is fun to have a lively debate. This debate has been going on forever and really shouldn't be taken seriously. Honestly it would probably be better if the mods closed shave vs no shave threads immediately. They always turn out the same.

Last edited by pgjackson; 07-16-21 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-16-21, 01:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Altair 4
I"m taking Eliquis (5 mg, morning and evening) after bilateral pulmonary embolisms. Gotta agree with you, the clots messed me up good too. I couldn't believe the discomfort. The Eliquis took the pain away after about 2 days, but still not sure that I don't have after-effects from them.
The mild heart attack they induced was no fun. They had earlier been misdiagnosed as mild pneumonia. I literally went from being able to ride at 24 mph for 10 miles straight to getting winded going up a single flight of stairs in a matter of two days, and that was just the beginning.
Old 07-16-21, 01:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Now seven pages and OP has trolled on to starting two more shaving threads. I wonder if he's trying to work up the nerve to ask for pics?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-16-21, 01:22 PM
pgjackson

Actually, no, you're getting crap because you told a bad insulting joke. I'm neither fat now that I put in an immense effort to lose 140+ pounds, nor am I bike-weight obsessed, but given you just wrote about old guys passing you on 10 speeds while riding your very light bike, why would you think it appropriate to imply that optimization measures are wasted because someone is a bit overweight? Talk about pot kettle black!
If anyone is insulted they have incredibly thin skin. My point, if I have to break it down Barney-style, is that I think it's pointless to obsess over every gram of bike weight and aerodynamic effects of leg hair thinking those things are going to actually improve your abilities. You would be better off dropping 5lbs of body weight than spending a fortune on gear. Personally, I'm a bit of a weight-weenie about my bike...not because I think it makes me go faster, but because as an enthusiast I like to tinker with my stuff. But some people do think that dropping 50g of bike weight or getting aero bars or CF cages will actually make them go faster and then post all kinds of pseudo-scientific wind-tunnel experiments prove it. What it all boils down to is if you want to go faster, you have to get in better shape (and getting in shape typically results in lower bodyweight). Leg hair has nothing to do with it unless everything else is maxed out. Congrats on the weight loss! That is an amazing accomplishment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.