Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Exercise bike

Old 07-14-21, 08:21 AM
Lisa B

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exercise bike

Hi I hope someone is able to help me with this very strange problem I have an exercise bike which works perfectly well until I put it up to level 13 when I put it up to level 13 and with just a few minutes left on the clock it stops recording speed and distance also calories everything else is ok I can't work it out because surely if something is wrong with the monitor with the distance and speed it would be wrong from the start not when it hits a certain level....I hope someone can help me with this please ...many thanks
Old 07-14-21, 01:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
can you tell us more about the bike?
Old 07-14-21, 03:42 PM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
can you tell us more about the bike?
yes it's an everlast and is about 4 years old other than that I don't really know what else to say about it..

Lisa
Old 07-14-21, 08:14 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
Lisa,
A specific model number might help.
How is the resistance set, mechanically or electronically from the display?
Is the bike powered from batteries?

Barry
Old 07-14-21, 10:54 PM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Lisa,
A specific model number might help.
How is the resistance set, mechanically or electronically from the display?
Is the bike powered from batteries?

Barry
Morning Barry..the only information I can find on is Everlast XV9...its powered from the mains so not battery.and display is electronic hope this helps
Old 07-15-21, 06:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
If you set it to 14 does it have the problem? I think there may be a problem with the electronics because it needs to get rid of excess power and above a certain resistance, you are exceeding the voltage it can handle in its current state. Is it possible to move the bike to a different electrical circuit?

Is it possible to get some help from the place you bought it or from the company? I think it might be a shock hazard.
Old 07-15-21, 07:04 AM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you set it to 14 does it have the problem? I think there may be a problem with the electronics because it needs to get rid of excess power and above a certain resistance, you are exceeding the voltage it can handle in its current state. Is it possible to move the bike to a different electrical circuit?

Is it possible to get some help from the place you bought it or from the company? I think it might be a shock hazard.
Ahh ok ..I will try these options Barry thank you.. I'm out at the moment so will get back to you, I have got 2 box freezers and also a radio ,on top of that ...so will look into get a decent extension lead cable thing...thank you
Old 07-15-21, 01:13 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 1,160 Times in 676 Posts

what makes you think this is a shock hazard? i see nothing in anything she wrote to indicate such. this could simply be a bug in the firmware (hard to admit because i am a firmware engineer).

rather than pushing the bike harder i'd actually reduce and see what happens. i'd set it to level 12 and do the normal ride.

also, what exactly does level 12, 13, 14 mean anyway? is this level just harder resistance, is it more time riding?

does this machine collect a lot of data for you to look at later? or is it only a simple display showing you what is happening in the hear and now?

-scott
Old 07-15-21, 06:23 PM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
what makes you think this is a shock hazard? i see nothing in anything she wrote to indicate such. this could simply be a bug in the firmware (hard to admit because i am a firmware engineer).

rather than pushing the bike harder i'd actually reduce and see what happens. i'd set it to level 12 and do the normal ride.

also, what exactly does level 12, 13, 14 mean anyway? is this level just harder resistance, is it more time riding?

does this machine collect a lot of data for you to look at later? or is it only a simple display showing you what is happening in the hear and now?

-scott
hi...when I use the bike I start of at level 9 for 1 km as a warm up then I put it up to level 10 for 2 kms then on the 3rd km I put it up to level 11until the 6th when I put it up to level 12...I stay on this level until I reach the time left of say 5 mins left of 45 minutes that's when it stops recording speed distance and calories...but if I leave it till around 2 minutes left then it's ok and doesn't stop recording...yes the resistance is harder the higher in levels you go and yes just in the hear and now recording, hope this makes sense I've kept it to the exact thing that I do ...
Old 07-15-21, 06:43 PM
spelger

i found this site with a bunch of Everlast users manuals:

https://www.manualslib.com/brand/everlast/

could not find one for XV9 but that might be due to region. you being in the UK (i assume by the use of the term "mains").

i assume if in UK you are on a 220V circuit? or are you using a transformer?

has it worked properly in the past?

or are you now getting more fit that you are now in a harder level and only now learning about this problem?

is it normal to change up the levels while riding?

how long is your typical ride?

sorry about the dumb questions, a users manual would tell me so much more which is why i looked for one.
Old 07-15-21, 07:52 PM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i found

could not find one for XV9 but that might be due to region. you being in the UK (i assume by the use of the term "mains").

i assume if in UK you are on a 220V circuit? or are you using a transformer?

has it worked properly in the past?

or are you now getting more fit that you are now in a harder level and only now learning about this problem?

is it normal to change up the levels while riding?

how long is your typical ride?

sorry about the dumb questions, a users manual would tell me so much more which is why i looked for one.

Yes I'm in the UK and on a 220 v..,and yh getting fitter and I change the levels up the longer I'm on it and never had a problem with it before and have previously gotten up to levels 15 and 16 with no issues, I've gone from 3 minutes up to 45 minutes
Old 07-15-21, 09:27 PM
spelger

Since i do not know exactly what type of method is used to create resistance because i don't know the exact model i am going to guess by an electromagnetic process. any time electricity is used to create resistance more power is needed when more resistance is desired. the additional power creates heat as a side effect. many electrical circuits employ the use of an over heat protection circuit (like an over current protection circuit). now that you are desiring more resistance and for longer periods of time it is possible that the trainer's protection circuit is kicking in to save itself.

the next time this happens you might try feeling around to see if the trainer feels hot near wherever the resistance unit may be. i have a kicker and after a long ride with lots of resistance i can feel a good amount of heat on the flywheel once it stops moving. if you do find that it is getting hot try aiming a fan on it to see if some additional cooling will let you ride longer.

this is not a solution, only a way to determine if it is overheating.

this of course is just a complete guess but an educated one from experience with some electronic devices.

-scott

ps. i used to live in Bury St. Edmunds. i miss it there sometimes.
Old 07-16-21, 12:16 AM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since i do not know exactly what type of method is used to create resistance because i don't know the exact model i am going to guess by an electromagnetic process. any time electricity is used to create resistance more power is needed when more resistance is desired. the additional power creates heat as a side effect. many electrical circuits employ the use of an over heat protection circuit (like an over current protection circuit). now that you are desiring more resistance and for longer periods of time it is possible that the trainer's protection circuit is kicking in to save itself.

the next time this happens you might try feeling around to see if the trainer feels hot near wherever the resistance unit may be. i have a kicker and after a long ride with lots of resistance i can feel a good amount of heat on the flywheel once it stops moving. if you do find that it is getting hot try aiming a fan on it to see if some additional cooling will let you ride longer.

this of course is just a complete guess but an educated one from experience with some electronic devices.

-scott

ok...so I've just been on the bike and skipped level 13 and went on to 14 instead ..I tried that on the countdown of 5 minutes and it was fine I will tomorrow try it on countdown of 15 minutes and see how it holds up.

Oh did you I'm from southend on sea Essex...how long have you been in the states
Old 07-16-21, 11:19 AM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-scott

Hi before I go on and write a long message back to you again I'm I'm sending a short one ,,to see if it will accept me writing another one.
Old 07-16-21, 12:39 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

OK I'll play...
Harlow Essex, left for the US in 1989.

Barry
Old 07-16-21, 12:58 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Lisa B
Hi before I go on and write a long message back to you again I'm I'm sending a short one ,,to see if it will accept me writing another one.
like a private message? i did not get one.
Old 07-16-21, 12:59 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

PM's not available to users with less than 10 posts.
Nearly there Lisa.

Barry
Old 07-16-21, 01:00 PM
spelger

OK I'll play...
Harlow Essex, left for the US in 1989.

Barry
I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath from '87 to '91. Loved nearly every minute of it. Would like to go back sometime. not too fond of the pubs closing at 11pm though.
Old 07-16-21, 01:04 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Went many times to the Mildenhall airshow. (They quit those in 2001)
SR71 leaving in the morning and returning in the afternoon was always the highlight for me.

Barry
Old 07-16-21, 10:00 PM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
like a private message? i did not get one.
With posts on here like we are doing just wouldn't let me post an answer to your last posts, but it has now lol
Old 07-16-21, 10:03 PM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath from '87 to '91. Loved nearly every minute of it. Would like to go back sometime. not too fond of the pubs closing at 11pm though.
ahh Lakenheath I know I've been there yes pubs do close early l
Old 07-17-21, 09:09 AM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Lisa B;22145172]ahh Lakenheath I know I've been there yes pubs do close early
Old 07-17-21, 10:09 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Went many times to the Mildenhall airshow. (They quit those in 2001)
SR71 leaving in the morning and returning in the afternoon was always the highlight for me.

Barry
I grew up near Beale AFB so the Blackbird was a common sight when I was a kid. Went to HS with kids whose dads flew or worked on them.
Old 07-18-21, 06:10 AM
Lisa B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I grew up near Beale AFB so the Blackbird was a common sight when I was a kid. Went to HS with kids whose dads flew or worked on them.
Sorry to change the subject Barry ,but went on bike this morning and I put time up by one minute to 46 minutes and this time it stopped recording at level 12 ...so I think I think I'm going to invest in another bike ,although this one is only 5 years old.

Lisa
Old 07-18-21, 05:49 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Lisa B
Sorry to change the subject Barry ,but went on bike this morning and I put time up by one minute to 46 minutes and this time it stopped recording at level 12 ...so I think I think I'm going to invest in another bike ,although this one is only 5 years old.

Lisa
Will keep this short becasue i had a nice pint of home brew and i have to eyhpe with one eey closed, seeing double now...anyway, seems you ride for about 45 minutes, how about thie fin experiment...try riding for 30 minutes only and then follow up wiht another 30 or 25 altelast. ahat will get you 45ish. if the bike craps out after that then i think it may be heat related.

you know, if the bike is still under warrently you might want to contact the seller or everlast about it. it may be a knwon issie wuth a soluriont.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.