Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

In Search Of: Cheap Hobbies

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

In Search Of: Cheap Hobbies

Old 07-15-21, 11:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15298 Post(s)
Liked 6,542 Times in 3,700 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
I tried balsa planes like I used too and I kept breaking stuff. man my hands suck for anything delicate. sometimes I have lego explode putting them together.
My cat loves balsa wood glider planes! ❤️
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-16-21, 01:16 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked 2,313 Times in 1,493 Posts
Bird watching. You get outdoors watch and identify birds. Recently in west Texas and had a blast watching birds. Fun got exercise hiking and it didn’t cost anything after buying the bird book lol.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-16-21, 02:17 AM
tharlandth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reading
Likes For tharlandth:
Old 07-16-21, 06:39 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain View Post
Have you thought of teaching in a community college or mentoring?
I have often thought about this. I would like to do just that, but I'm afraid. I got PTSD pretty bad, and I'm diagnosed ASD. Too much noise, too many kids, too much commotion, and too much stress, and I snap like a dry twig. I'm not so dysfunctional that I cant go out in public, or attend a function with a lot of people, but it truly sucks the wind out of my sails. So teaching a college class would certainly be doable - I have the credentials - it just wouldn't be anything sustainable for any length of time.

I've been tossing around the idea of mentoring a teenager in bike repair. I think I could handle a one-on-one tutoring sort of gig. I may explore this further. I suppose that a good place to start would be with the High School guidance counselors. I would tell them what I have to offer, and have them hook me up with a kid or two that are worthy. This might work.
Old 07-16-21, 06:42 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
Whistling?
You should hear all of the whistling I do after eating a bowl of my wife's chili! Wait... is that considered whistling?
Old 07-16-21, 06:51 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Do some volunteer work in a community non-profit! My limited, but important to me, volunteer work and support has allowed me to connect to my community in a positive way and make it a better place. Even helping out with the smallest tasks can make a difference in the lives of people and organizations in need and more importantly it can be a positive/fulfilling goal!
The only place to volunteer around here is the hospital my wife works, and I've often thought about it. Right now, there are no volunteer positions there at all due to covid. I'm sure I could find something else to volunteer (for). I live about 1000 feet from a rail trail, which does not seem to be maintained very well. Its great for ATVs and snowmobiles, but the surface sucks for bikes. I've written to the state of NH for info regarding maintenance of that trail, and volunteered my time to help maintain it, but I've encountered nothing but radio silence. Guess its time for another letter. Eventually they've got to answer me, right? Andy Dufrene in The Shawshank Redemption comes to mind. He wrote so many letters to the state they finally gave him what he asked for, and told him to stop writing letters!
Old 07-16-21, 06:59 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
The big issue most people have with cycling is they buy, buy, buy. Gotta have the latest and greatest. Anything touted as better, lighter, easier, etc. Keep it simple, stupid. Buy a bike and ride it for the joy of the experience. Just ride it.
I don't do group rides because talk always turns to parts, parts, parts. Such nonsense. Just ride it.
Guilty. You have no idea how many dollars I've spent on bikes, parts, and gear over the years. I think its finally caught up to me. All I crave now is the wind in my face, and I now realize that I dont need to spend thousands to make it happen. I've come to realize that spending - in any shape or form - is an addiction. My sister-in-law has got it bad. Really bad. I mock her for spending her money on what I consider stupid sh*t, and all the while I'm spending my money on stuff she would consider stupid. I guess its a matter of picking your own poison. I created this thread because I've realized how silly life is sometimes, and why we do what we do.
Old 07-16-21, 07:00 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 251 Posts
You could volunteer to do trail maintenance on the Appalachian Trail. It pretty much cuts right thru NH, not sure where you live up there

Yoga?

Archery?
Old 07-16-21, 07:07 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...buy yourself a sketchbook, and either start with graphite pencils and gradually progress to ink, or jump right in the deep end with some various width line points black ink pens of the sort that engineers and drafters use. The best ones come with replaceable ink cartridges, but there are some pretty nice disposable ones available now, too.

You can carry it around easily, the startup costs are negligible, and no matter what anyone else tells you, you can learn to draw. And you can spend a lifetime getting better at it.

The biggest advantage is that there is no real market for contemporary drawings any more. So you won't be tempted to try making money by selling your framed originals. I once spent two weeks in Tobago, and besides hiking and birdwatching, all I did was draw.
I envy anyone who can draw or paint. For some reason there is a disconnect for me concerning anything that is two-dimensional. I cant draw. It seems that my brain and my drawing hand dont seem to like each other. I can see things in my mind, but unless the project is in 3D, I cant seem to get it right.

Its not for the lack of trying, either. I've taken dozens of classes for drawing and painting, but after so many failures (at it) I had to just let it go. My Aspergers-infected brain wants everything to come out perfect, but it never does, and its torture. Gosh, I wish I could draw. It truly would make life a lot easier.
Old 07-16-21, 07:29 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Yes say more about why you can't enjoy the hobby of bicycle riding when N=1? Unless your hobby IS constantly spending money on additional bicycle stuff, endless cycle of "upgrades," and/or impressing yourself or fellow "enthusiasts" with the racing pedigree/provenance of your bicycle stuff/upgrades, I'd say you have been bamboozled.

I didn't say that I couldn't enjoy biking unless it was N+1, did I?

No, I'm looking for a way to enjoy everything in my life without needing to give someone else all my money to do it. I'm trying to find contentment and felicity in the little things - the simple things.

Not sure what you mean by "bamboozled". I've been working on bikes since the 1960's, so I've seen a lot of fads come and go. My most expensive bike is my Bilenky, and I doubt I'll ever go for anything better or more expensive. Acquiring the Bilenky was a windfall. The timing was right, and I had the right trade and the cash to go with it to appeal to the previous owner. Some guys now are talking about buying custom $9000 randonneur bikes and stuff like that. Not for me.

I can enjoy riding without spending. Its just been a bad habit that I have recently broken, hence the inception of this thread. The only fellow enthusiasts that I hang around with are my family and a few other bike shop owners, so I guess you could say that the only person that I have to impress with my N+1 antics is me. I'm looking for a new attitude. I'm seeking a way to enjoy my life without working so hard at it.
Old 07-16-21, 07:34 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
New hobby: reading everything on the Mr Money Mustache website? mrmoneymustache.com

Sounds like if you really want a hobby with (almost) no cost, and no accumulation of equipment, you're limited to intellectual pursuits. Have you ever studied computer programming? Website creation? Graphic design?

I don't suppose in the wilds of NH you are near a bike-coop where you could spent time volunteering (or in a population center that could support a co-op if you started one)?

If not, I'm sure you could find some kind of volunteering opportunity. Is there a retirement home nearby that would welcome a nice person dropping into the common room to chat or play cards with residents? Ask a school nearby, do they have a tutoring program where you can help kids with their homework?

Also learning music is a great idea. What instrument are you most interested in? Or would you rather sing? Or compose? If private lessons don't fit within your conception of 'cheap' hobbies, I bet you could find a decent start-from-scratch tutorial series on utub.

Those knives are really sweet-looking. Are there knife-adjacent things you'd be interested in making that wouldn't require too much equipment? My retired dad spent a few years making laminated recurve bows, and flemish bowstrings, and making/fletching arrows, but then got bored and moved on to constructing a guitar from a kit.
Thanks for the link to that website. I added it to my bookmarks bar, and I'll give it a shot. Looks like fun.

Intellectual pursuits. Yep. I think you are correct in that is where I'll wind up. I used to write articles for a couple New England outdoors magazines, and some other non-outdoors periodicals. Maybe I'll start writing again.
Old 07-16-21, 07:38 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by skijor View Post
Coffee roasting. Ten years in here. There's no point in going back.
I'm not sure coffee roasting is enough to make a whole hobby, but Cooking more generally...
Yeah, coffee roasting is something that I'd consider part of my culinary pursuits, which is an entertaining hobby in of itself.
Old 07-16-21, 07:42 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Bird watching. You get outdoors watch and identify birds. Recently in west Texas and had a blast watching birds. Fun got exercise hiking and it didnít cost anything after buying the bird book lol.
I've been thinking about this. We have a lot of raptors here now, and we get a lot of migratory songbirds and waterfowl.
Old 07-16-21, 07:46 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Originally Posted by tharlandth View Post
Reading
I love reading and studying. Its what I do with most of my time. So much so, that I lament over too much inactivity, and I have to get up and move. Its so much a part of my life, that I don't consider it a hobby, and I really don't think of it. Its just what I do... like breathing air. Maybe I should just be content with reading and do not pursue anything else? That might work!
Old 07-16-21, 08:14 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10717 Post(s)
Liked 2,738 Times in 1,880 Posts
Reading is a great hobby... and libraries stock plenty of resources to allow cheap access to this "hobby."

BTW "seeking a hobby" is a difficult thing to do... one should generally allow their interests to guide them to their "hobbies."

It is almost as if you are seeking a job, without experience. (hire me, then we can figure out what I can do... )

But here, here is another hobby idea... learn to play a musical instrument... (avoid the N+1 by first mastering just one instrument... that alone will take you years).

And again, the reward is in what you produce.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-16-21, 08:38 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...until you wake up one morning and find out you bought a $2,000 Pentax spotting scope.

Friends don't let friends drink and shop on Amazon!
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 07-16-21, 08:41 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
Whistling?
When I think of all the money I spent on lip balm over the years, I wonder if it's been worth it...
Old 07-16-21, 09:07 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
You should hear all of the whistling I do after eating a bowl of my wife's chili! Wait... is that considered whistling?
Whistling bass
Old 07-16-21, 09:10 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
The only place to volunteer around here is the hospital my wife works, and I've often thought about it. Right now, there are no volunteer positions there at all due to covid. I'm sure I could find something else to volunteer (for). I live about 1000 feet from a rail trail, which does not seem to be maintained very well. Its great for ATVs and snowmobiles, but the surface sucks for bikes. I've written to the state of NH for info regarding maintenance of that trail, and volunteered my time to help maintain it, but I've encountered nothing but radio silence. Guess its time for another letter. Eventually they've got to answer me, right? Andy Dufrene in The Shawshank Redemption comes to mind. He wrote so many letters to the state they finally gave him what he asked for, and told him to stop writing letters!
https://www.imba.com/explore-imba/tr...nd-enhancement

If you contact the IMBA they might be able to point you to an organization local to you that does volunteer trail maintenance
Old 07-16-21, 11:54 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 328 Posts
I'm not sure coffee roasting is enough to make a whole hobby, but Cooking more generally...
You have no idea how deep that rabbit hole is.
Old 07-16-21, 01:33 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I have an idea, and I think part of OP's point is he wants to avoid falling into rabbit holes, as they too often end up being pits of consumerist addiction
Old 07-16-21, 01:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 792 Posts
Bike Forumsing is a pretty cheap hobby and time consuming as you like
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-16-21, 01:57 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked 2,313 Times in 1,493 Posts
Collecting squashed frogs and toads on the road after the sun has baked them to a crisp.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-16-21, 02:01 PM
BenzFanatic

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 44 Posts
You mentioned cooking, which, of course, is a very filling hobby, and one of my favorites.

I discovered an interesting one a couple of years back: magnet fishing. You buy a big ole magnet, some strong rope, and go fishing. It's just like regular fishing. Most of the time you're not getting anything special, but it's about the chase, and sometimes you find something cool.

Getting into kayaking is fun and relatively cheap, if you've got a 'yakkable waterway nearby. But, it's definitely a potential money sink and takes up a bit of space.
Old 07-16-21, 02:15 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Collecting squashed frogs and toads on the road after the sun has baked them to a crisp.
frog roll ups? toad leathers? amphiberoni?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.