Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

In Search Of: Cheap Hobbies

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

In Search Of: Cheap Hobbies

Old 07-16-21, 02:35 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,408 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Thanks for the link to that website. I added it to my bookmarks bar, and I'll give it a shot. Looks like fun.
He doesn't write as much new content as he used to, but there's a lot of great stuff in there. The 'MMM Classics' link in the header is a good place to start.

Looks like his Forum has grown into a huge, active community. I've never dabbled there, but I bet MMM spends more time posting in there nowadays, or even letting the hive mind move the world towards the goals he originally set out for.
Old 07-16-21, 03:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13764 Post(s)
Liked 6,710 Times in 3,381 Posts
Model rocketry.

Geocaching.
Old 07-16-21, 03:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Model rocketry.

Geocaching.
When I was a kid model rocket engines were a buck apiece which seemed like a lot. They're probably more now. About 14 years ago when I moved here I noticed the hobby store did not have rocket motors. This county requires you to file a flight plan with the fire department! We allow "safe and sane" fireworks for sale about a week before july 4 and use on the day of. Lots of fountains and snaps, no crackers and no rockets. The next county over has an outright ban on both.

I did geocaching when I lived in the desert and it was pretty cool, but here there's a tupperware full of happy meal toys on every street corner and it's just not that fun.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-16-21, 03:41 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 379 Posts
geocaching...it's like the movie "the planters"...lol. good indy movie. wes anderson'ish
Old 07-16-21, 03:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I have an idea, and I think part of OP's point is he wants to avoid falling into rabbit holes, as they too often end up being pits of consumerist addiction
I think the OP's posts indicate that he already fell deep into that rabbit hole, and is now working on climbing out of that rabbit hole by trying to find enjoyment with his pastimes without compulsively assigning and/or wasting a heavy materialistic price on them.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-16-21, 07:57 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
New hobby: reading everything on the Mr Money Mustache website? mrmoneymustache.com

Sounds like if you really want a hobby with (almost) no cost, and no accumulation of equipment, you're limited to intellectual pursuits. Have you ever studied computer programming? Website creation? Graphic design?

I don't suppose in the wilds of NH you are near a bike-coop where you could spent time volunteering (or in a population center that could support a co-op if you started one)?

If not, I'm sure you could find some kind of volunteering opportunity. Is there a retirement home nearby that would welcome a nice person dropping into the common room to chat or play cards with residents? Ask a school nearby, do they have a tutoring program where you can help kids with their homework?

Also learning music is a great idea. What instrument are you most interested in? Or would you rather sing? Or compose? If private lessons don't fit within your conception of 'cheap' hobbies, I bet you could find a decent start-from-scratch tutorial series on utub.

Those knives are really sweet-looking. Are there knife-adjacent things you'd be interested in making that wouldn't require too much equipment? My retired dad spent a few years making laminated recurve bows, and flemish bowstrings, and making/fletching arrows, but then got bored and moved on to constructing a guitar from a kit.
You can take up trying out everything Jacob Lund Fisker wrote about.

Summary, you could examine your whole life and ways to save money as your new hobby.

That would be cheap.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-16-21, 08:59 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 166 Posts
Model Rockets!

Old 07-16-21, 09:06 PM
zandoval 

Astronomy Observations with binoculars...

https://www.skymaps.com/skymaps/tesmn2107.pdf
Old 07-16-21, 09:10 PM
zandoval 

Build a small boat...

https://www.unclejohns.com/boat/plans/p12build.pdf
Old 07-16-21, 09:16 PM
zandoval 

Go for it in Ham Radio...

Get your license then get a radio all for less than 80 USD...

https://hamradioprep.com/free-lesson/

And of course...

Old 07-16-21, 09:35 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

open a hot dog stand. grass fed franks and homemade ketchup and kraut
Likes For thook:
Old 07-16-21, 09:46 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval View Post
SUGAR ROCKETS comes to mind....
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 07-16-21, 09:47 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by thook View Post
geocaching...it's like the movie "the planters"...lol. good indy movie. wes anderson'ish
I like riding the bike to find new caches or hiding them. Used to do a lot of that on the MTB. I have over 100 hides out there.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 07-16-21, 10:24 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
I like riding the bike to find new caches or hiding them. Used to do a lot of that on the MTB. I have over 100 hides out there.
seems like it could be some fun if all participants were enthusiastic and creative about it
Old 07-16-21, 10:26 PM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
There are lots of small drums and percussion instruments from around the world that singly aren't very expensive, $20-150 that aren't that hard to learn the basics of and at least entertain yourself. They can all be played quietly so you don't necessarily have to annoy people too much. I teach that you don't hit a drum, you touch a drum. All of these have more YT instructional videos than you can stand, rabbit holes for hours. The bodhran (say bod run or bow ron) is an Irish drum. The doumbek (doom beck) is a middle eastern drum going back thousands of years. One of the stories is that it was used for communication with a sophisticated language. Drummers would be positioned almost out of earshot of the next drummer down the road and news could travel faster than a runner or someone on horseback carrying a message. There are frame drums of all sizes that are a wooden hoop with a skin or synthetic head stretched across it. The Brazilian pandeiro (pan dare oh) is like a tambourine that's more drum than tambourine with quieter jingles. There's the cahon (kuh hone) the wooden box you sit on and play. All of these are great for finger, wrist and hand strength and flexibility, lightweight, easy to carry and fun for informal jams. Of course GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) can easily take over but that's your problem
Old 07-17-21, 01:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,444 Posts
I'm considering re-learning wild plant identification. My grandparents had an extensive library including illustrated books on Texas native prairie plants, flowers, trees, etc. I used to spend time prowling the fields and woods around their rural home, with one of those guidebooks in hand. Now I've forgotten most of it.

But since I resumed walking and jogging a few months ago I could combine the two on days when I'm just putting in time and distance, not worrying about speed.

There's probably an app for that... combined with the phone's camera.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-17-21, 10:51 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Tracking. This is a hobby that can be real interesting, depending on the prey.
Old 07-17-21, 10:52 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

seems like it could be some fun if all participants were enthusiastic and creative about it
That's the thing about Geocaching, you have no idea who you're playing with. But some of the comments left on the log are hilarious.
Old 07-17-21, 01:20 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 1,862 Times in 593 Posts
I got PTSD pretty bad, and I'm diagnosed ASD.
….perhaps find a volunteer position at an ASD supportive community non-profit or school program for children/high schoolers and/or a veterans and others group working on PTSD issues….may be good for both them and you!!
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 07-17-21, 01:39 PM
BenzFanatic

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I'm considering re-learning wild plant identification. My grandparents had an extensive library including illustrated books on Texas native prairie plants, flowers, trees, etc. I used to spend time prowling the fields and woods around their rural home, with one of those guidebooks in hand. Now I've forgotten most of it.

But since I resumed walking and jogging a few months ago I could combine the two on days when I'm just putting in time and distance, not worrying about speed.

There's probably an app for that... combined with the phone's camera.
I have an Associates in horticulture, and I'm probably better than most with my ID skills, but holy cow is there a lot to learn. I take a walk in a native prairie and I can't identify almost anything except common ornamental native perennials, and common nuisance plants. I know maybe 6 trees by seeing them. Put me in front of annuals or houseplants though, and I can tell you pretty much any of them, botanical names and all . I once told a professor that I'd like to be able to ID pretty much anything I'll see taking a walk through the woods in Illinois, and she laughed and said "good luck."

I will say, the apps have gotten pretty good though. Much less gratifying, of course.

There is a relatively small and inexpensive book called Plant Identification Terminology that is immensely helpful if you have one of those big plant encyclopedias where you have to "key out" an unknown plant. The one just for the Chicagoland region is about 4 inches thick.
Old 07-17-21, 03:02 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by zandoval View Post
Astronomy Observations with binoculars...

https://www.skymaps.com/skymaps/tesmn2107.pdf
I dunno, that sounds like that would be at serious gateway risk of buying telescopes...
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-17-21, 03:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I didn't know hot dogs ate grass!

Old 07-17-21, 03:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
….perhaps find a volunteer position at an ASD supportive community non-profit or school program for children/high schoolers and/or a veterans and others group working on PTSD issues….may be good for both them and you!!
That's a really interesting idea.

I was at my local library once, and at the next table there was a mother with an autistic child and an autism counselor or 'coach' or I don't know what would be the right term. They were interacting with the child and working on mitigating negative behaviors. I was very impressed.

Come to think of it, maybe it wasn't autism. The child had angry outbursts, which I don't think are an autism thing (please help fill in my ignorance!). Regardless I was impressed with the good work this person was doing to help this family.
Old 07-17-21, 06:55 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 140 Posts
We grow all of our own herbs, and we have berry bushes on the property. Other wise, I really do not have a suitable area for any sort of tilled garden. We've been discussing the removal of some trees to make room for a garden. Again, what to do in the winter? Build a greenhouse? Love to, but again, we're looking at some significant investment.

No, I'm looking for a hobby that is relatively free and portable. This hobby should have some sort of natural progression to it, but not to the point that I'd need savant-level skills to do it. My son's mother-in-law makes clay miniatures of people, pets, animals, and buildings. She's very talented. I'd never be able to do that.

I also want to do something that is well beyond my capacity for boredom. I have a history of doing something until I master it, then move on to something different. Take custom knives for instance. I used to make a lot of knives when I had a full machine shop at home. I got pretty good at it, but I got bored with it.

Some of you have seen this pic before, but I have more if anyone is interested.

My compliments to you for this quality looking work. I'm assessing you as a perfectionist at whatever craft hobby you might take on.
Likes For Zinger:
Old 07-17-21, 07:24 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 140 Posts

This late Palestinian immigrant parlayed a hot dog stand into a Los Angeles nightclub and that into another before becoming the biggest nightclubempresario in LA. He's better known as the suspected, but never specifically convicted, perpetrator of the 1981 Wonderland Ave. murders aka the "Flour on the Floor murders".

So hot dog stands can get you into trouble, even if you're not convicted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.