Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rusty Pistons !

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rusty Pistons !

Old 07-17-21, 04:30 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts
Rusty Pistons !

The last week of June ended with mostly rain and July has been even worse. It's the 17th of July and we have had rain in 16 of those days. I really have to be in the mood to get wet and this year hasn't been a year I have been in that mood. Today I had a window open up before more rain moved in so it was off to knock off some rust. I'm hoping this trend breaks soon, or I'll have to drag out my old rain gear and put on my big boy pants and go get wet .
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 07-17-21, 05:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Go ahead and send us a good rain storm. But... NO THUNDER... PLEASE!!!

I think the last significant rain we've had was the end of May. Perhaps a couple of light mist days the first week of June.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-17-21, 05:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
What happens is that we forget that riding in the rain is actually just fine and a lot of fun. The fun part is imagining how all those onlookers are thinking you're some kind of crazy nut when actually you are doing the sane thing.

One needs a decent (can be old and used) alu bike with room for fenders and inexpensive rims. Ride the heck out of it. No need for rain gear, just a wind jacket, arm warmers, and lights or leg warmers in summer. I usually wear a poly undershirt, too. If I didn't ride in the rain in the winter, I wouldn't ride outside at all. I use thicker clothes and booties in winter but just the wind jacket on top.
Old 07-17-21, 05:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
I really don't mind riding in the rain. I just don't like having to clean the bike when I'm done.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-17-21, 05:59 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
I hate road riding in the rain. Lucky for me it doesn't rain here.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-17-21, 07:13 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What happens is that we forget that riding in the rain is actually just fine and a lot of fun. The fun part is imagining how all those onlookers are thinking you're some kind of crazy nut when actually you are doing the sane thing.

One needs a decent (can be old and used) alu bike with room for fenders and inexpensive rims. Ride the heck out of it. No need for rain gear, just a wind jacket, arm warmers, and lights or leg warmers in summer. I usually wear a poly undershirt, too. If I didn't ride in the rain in the winter, I wouldn't ride outside at all. I use thicker clothes and booties in winter but just the wind jacket on top.
The biggest problem most of the rain has been in the form of thunderstorms with heavy rain, not good for drivers to see you. I love riding in the winter and don't mind getting wet, just a different mindset when riding my trail bikes I guess.
Old 07-17-21, 07:14 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Go ahead and send us a good rain storm. But... NO THUNDER... PLEASE!!!

I think the last significant rain we've had was the end of May. Perhaps a couple of light mist days the first week of June.
Wish I could send it your way.
Old 07-17-21, 07:15 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I really don't mind riding in the rain. I just don't like having to clean the bike when I'm done.
That might be the main reason for not riding in the rain for me, although I'll do it in the winter with the trail bikes getting all wet.
Old 07-17-21, 08:39 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
What happens is that we forget that riding in the rain is actually just fine and a lot of fun.
Descending in the rain is not so fun. My two worst crashes were descents on wet roads.

Old 07-17-21, 09:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
The biggest problem most of the rain has been in the form of thunderstorms with heavy rain, not good for drivers to see you. I love riding in the winter and don't mind getting wet, just a different mindset when riding my trail bikes I guess.
The biggest problem here is dry thunder storms.

Well, we get the wet ones here, and just to the east of us, all they get is thunder and lightening, and no rain. Not a good thing to happen when there has been no rain since May.
Old 07-18-21, 11:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Descending in the rain is not so fun. My two worst crashes were descents on wet roads.
I've been riding in the winter rain here for 25 years. Never crashed, and we have a lot of steep hills here. One takes it easier in the rain, allows more room for everything. I use rim brakes and know to apply them early. To get how much rain riding I do, I go through at least 1 rim/year, worn to almost breakage from wet grit, even though I clean them with alcohol after every ride. Perhaps it's that riding consistently in the rain is a good teacher.
Old 07-18-21, 11:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Bright lights! Bright clothing alone doesn't do it. I run a 200 lumen white blinking light in front and a 300 lumen red blinking light in back. They can see that light for a mile in the rain. I run those lights on every daylight ride, no matter where, no matter the weather. I don't ride at night anymore. I've never had a closer pass in the rain than I would have had in the dry. In fact the opposite might be true. I think drivers can be bit overconfident in the dry.

The main thing is that they see you a mile away and are thus aware of your presence for some time before they reach you. That gives them time to plan their pass. They do think you're nuts, but that's OK.
Old 07-21-21, 05:35 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
The two things that bother me most riding in the rain is wet glasses and traffic. That and the occasional pot hole covered in pool of water.

I don't clean my bikes much, but do lube the drivetrain after a wet ride.
Old 07-21-21, 05:52 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I don't mind rain as such but mostly if it rains there is lighting and the deacon fears lighting. It is almost a phobia. I get really nervous just seeing it in the distance riding. Lot of folks get struck by lighting. Rain you just get wet and go slower.