Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gearing change for easier climbing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Gearing change for easier climbing

Old 07-18-21, 07:54 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
I've made a mistake.......

The chainline is so far off from where it was, that even with the FD Di2 adjustment at the end of it's outboard limit (+18) the chain still hits the FD cage on the outside edge.
As in, the chain is now too far outboard by about 2-3mm and is beyond the adjustment of Di2.

I'd have to move the crank/chainrings inboard towards the frame by 2-3mm and that's not going to happen.
I'd have to move the FD outboard, and that's not going to happen.
Plus even if I could move the chainline inboard, the 30t ring is already way close to the frame.

EXPERIMENT CANCELLED.
I shall have to return to the original Shimano 50/34 rings and suck it up!
Bikingreen 46/30 4 bolt (with Bikingreen and FSA Adapters) going cheap, PM me.

You win some you lose some !

Barry
Old 05-10-22, 04:19 AM
Sir5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I've made a mistake.......

The chainline is so far off from where it was, that even with the FD Di2 adjustment at the end of it's outboard limit (+18) the chain still hits the FD cage on the outside edge.
As in, the chain is now too far outboard by about 2-3mm and is beyond the adjustment of Di2.

I'd have to move the crank/chainrings inboard towards the frame by 2-3mm and that's not going to happen.
I'd have to move the FD outboard, and that's not going to happen.
Plus even if I could move the chainline inboard, the 30t ring is already way close to the frame.

EXPERIMENT CANCELLED.
I shall have to return to the original Shimano 50/34 rings and suck it up!
Bikingreen 46/30 4 bolt (with Bikingreen and FSA Adapters) going cheap, PM me.

You win some you lose some !

Barry
Hi Barry,
I am wondering whether you still have the FSA Adapter. I wanted to send a PM, but that feature is restricted to members with at least 10 posts (this is my first on this Forum) and I did not want to spam 10 post and then PM you.
Please contact me if you have the adapter !
With kind regards,
Sir5
Old 05-10-22, 09:49 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
Yes, I do still have the FSA adaptor?

Barry
Old 05-10-22, 10:03 AM
Sir5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply Barry2.
I would like to buy it from you and happy to pay everything needed to send it to me beforehand.
Because this is my second posting on the forum, I am still unable to PM you my email address.
Perhaps you can PM yours to me?
If you want me to provide you mine first, I will have to make a few unnecessary postings.
Thank you in advance!
Old 05-11-22, 03:43 AM
Sir5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Received your PM, Barry2, thank you, understood.

For the rest of the forum members (and you) a short explanation.

I am a hobby cyclist, really enjoy training and doing one or two grandfondo's per year (in Europe: Marmotte, Maratona, Oetztaler, Trois Ballons, Alpenbrevet).
I am over 55 years old and not competing in the higher end.
Since 3 years my wife (same age) has joined me and is riding the small versions of the grandfondos.
She is my age and trains only 1 time a week during 4 months a year, which is just enough to enjoy riding the smaller distances.
For her bike, I had to adjust gearing. Uphill 19% for 100 meter is no problem for her, but uphill 8,5% for 10 kilometers she needs to spin instead of grind.
Because she is not using derailleurs often, I have equipped her with Di2 and activated synchronized shifting (automatically switching front chainring). My own bike is still manual shift.
I have added a Wolftooth roadlink (DM) and fitted a SRAM 11-36 teeth cassette, but even with 34-36 she was grinding.
So I replaced her crankset with a FSA supercompact (30-46) and now with 30-36 she can ride uphill with convenient cadence.
Unfortunately, the braze-on front derailleur cannot be placed low enough and the chain is thrown off the front ring when she shifts from the small ring into the big ring.
When I myself test-ride her bike, I can shift into a large cog in the back, then shift front chainring without a problem, but synch-shifting does not do so.
Therefore I started looking for an adapter to lower the front derailleur.

The first adapter I found to exist was the FSA supercompact adapter. Being the same brand as the crankset I prefered this one. However, this item is nowhere on stock. Nowhere to be found. Trust me, I spent a lot of time searching, emailing and calling.
Not in Europe, not in US, not in Asia or Australia. Bummer.

The second adapter I found was the WickWerks Fit Link. This one is available and I ordered one on the website in the US. My payment however was refunded and they sent me an email that they suspended delivery to EU because of VAT issues.
I have emailed all dealers of WickWerks (from the list on the WickWerks website) whether they would sell one to me, but not even one of them responded to my email.
Recently I found a shop in Japan that has one on stock, but I when placing the order on the website I cannot select shipping to Europe. They have not responded to my emails either.

The third adapter I found was the bikinGreen one. My research for reviews brought me to this forum where I read that the adapter does not work with Shimano Di2 derailleurs.
Barry2 did seem to have the FSA adapter and I hoped that would be my (wife's) rescue.
Barry2 if you would consider selling me the set (including Bikingreen chainrings) than please contact me. In that case I would ask you to have the chainrings recycled (aluminium is perfectly recyclable) and just send me adapter.
Or you could order a Wickwerks fit link work with the bikingreens.

I will continue my search and perhaps some time I will succeed and make my wife's life on the bike better :-)
Thanks anyway for the quick replies, much appreciated.
Sir5