Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Locked out of Facebook

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Locked out of Facebook

Old 07-19-21, 09:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I too never did FB... But I also find it terribly annoying that some information is only available on FB... restaurant menus for instance, or local groups for various things like sailing or music. Often I can go view the FB page... and find what I want, but I am also nagged to join FB every damn time and may not scroll past some imaginary line "for further information."
Yeah, the main reason I've kept my FB account is for calendars of local events and to keep up with meatspace friends, mostly to organize bike rides and social events. And most of the FB contacts I've kept do the same.

I've muted or blocked most of the folks who relentlessly post every tiny bit of micro-outrage they've experienced today. Several times I've had to mute some folks I really do like in real life, because they seem to go on bipolar benders of posting dozens of times a day, every single tiny thing that annoyed them today. It's pointless because we all have access to all the news available in the world on these little portable surveillance machines we keep in our pockets... or glued to our hands and faces.

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Several years ago I tried to use Uber, could not do so as it (then) required a FB account. So I have never Ubered either.
Hey, Uber is great now... most of the time. I don't drive anymore -- a few years ago I gave my pickup to a family member who's stuck in a rural area without transportation after her ex- dumped her. She does home health care visits for elderly disabled folks and needed transportation. It was just sitting the parking lot outside my apartment, driven maybe a couple of times a year, started up once a month to keep the battery charged. So when I can't walk, bike or take the city bus somewhere, I use Uber. I used it a lot last year, all for medical appointments, to avoid the buses and concentrated Super Cooties -- it took three buses to get to most appointments, plus two trains if I was headed to the VA hospital.

Even at prices on the high side, sometimes $20 a ride, it was still cheaper than maintaining that truck. Most rides were under $10. The main aggravation is not knowing how much it will cost until I actually check for a ride.
Old 07-20-21, 08:03 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by George View Post
I thought the responses were funny, thanks. I think I’m going to lock them out, lol.
Trust me, you don't need FB. All they are doing is harvesting your info and selling it to anyone who wants it. There are a million other ways of communicating with your friends and family that don't expose every little thing about you to the world.
Old 07-20-21, 09:08 AM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 2,286 Times in 1,477 Posts
I use smoke signals.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-20-21, 09:46 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I use smoke signals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_drum
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-20-21, 10:28 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Trust me, you don't need FB. All they are doing is harvesting your info and selling it to anyone who wants it. There are a million other ways of communicating with your friends and family that don't expose every little thing about you to the world.
You do realize that Psaki mentioned the other day in a press conf that the administration is now monitoring text (sms) messaging also, so don't feel too confident in your privacy outside of FB.
Old 07-20-21, 10:28 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I use smoke signals.
They're being monitored....
Old 07-20-21, 10:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15265 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
You do realize that Psaki mentioned the other day in a press conf that the administration is now monitoring text (sms) messaging also, so don't feel too confident in your privacy outside of FB.
Are there ways to talk to a person without Facebook and also without text, or is that all? Like, what if you were face to face with them?
Old 07-20-21, 10:56 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Are there ways to talk to a person without Facebook and also without text, or is that all? Like, what if you were face to face with them?
It’s difficult to talk with a mask on.

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-20-21, 11:01 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yeah, the main reason I've kept my FB account is for calendars of local events and to keep up with meatspace friends, mostly to organize bike rides and social events. And most of the FB contacts I've kept do the same.

I've muted or blocked most of the folks who relentlessly post every tiny bit of micro-outrage they've experienced today. Several times I've had to mute some folks I really do like in real life, because they seem to go on bipolar benders of posting dozens of times a day, every single tiny thing that annoyed them today. It's pointless because we all have access to all the news available in the world on these little portable surveillance machines we keep in our pockets... or glued to our hands and faces.

Hey, Uber is great now... most of the time. I don't drive anymore -- a few years ago I gave my pickup to a family member who's stuck in a rural area without transportation after her ex- dumped her. She does home health care visits for elderly disabled folks and needed transportation. It was just sitting the parking lot outside my apartment, driven maybe a couple of times a year, started up once a month to keep the battery charged. So when I can't walk, bike or take the city bus somewhere, I use Uber. I used it a lot last year, all for medical appointments, to avoid the buses and concentrated Super Cooties -- it took three buses to get to most appointments, plus two trains if I was headed to the VA hospital.

Even at prices on the high side, sometimes $20 a ride, it was still cheaper than maintaining that truck. Most rides were under $10. The main aggravation is not knowing how much it will cost until I actually check for a ride.
This spurred a search. I did not realize that Uber drivers will haul items. Sure I could go with the usual methods which would be stupid expensive. But I've been pondering a cattle panel or two for garden purposes. The thing is, they're not realistic items to haul with one's car...unless you like scratching the hell out of your car, and/or risking the bulky payload coming loose and potentially causing an accident. FYI, cattle panels (aka livestock panels) are 4'x16' and are rather robust. So folding it over on itself and strapping to one's Camry or whatever is not a good option.
Let that Uber driver have a bit of my cash towards his $XX,XXX truck payment.

Oh, and FB is nice for hobby stuff like gardening or whatever. It's been my experience that worthwhile groups don't tolerate belligerent asshats who insist that you accept their [off-topic] ideals as gospel.
Old 07-20-21, 11:16 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 357 Posts
I have never labored under the assumption that anything that is sent by me either via email or SMS is secure. But with FB you're not making them work for it. Also, on FB I think most people are comfortable giving out information that they might not do otherwise. A lot of people just don't think before posting. I think a prime example is when people post about going on vacation and you're basically telling every criminal in your area that you're going to be in Hawaii for the next 2 weeks. I also talk to all my grand kids about posting things that might come back to them when they apply for a job. I just don't understand this new found need that everyone seems to have where they want to tell everyone about every little thing they do.
Old 07-20-21, 11:39 AM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 285 Posts
This is relevant to your concern. https://apnews.com/article/technolog...7f2e74ab2ae853
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 07-20-21, 12:58 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 155 Posts
I didn’t know who she was until your post.

Monitoring texts and a “supply chain disruption task force.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...disrupted/amp/

What’s the historical pattern? Price fix at the store and keep “fixing” backwards? Or is it price fix at the farm and “fix” forwards? How does it end again? I forgot.

Whoops! I forgot, we’re dealing with Ebola or Bubonic Plague so radical intervention necessary.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-20-21, 03:05 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 5090 Post(s)
Liked 1,800 Times in 1,074 Posts
I don't realize that. Someone is lying to you.
Old 07-20-21, 06:32 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I don't realize that. Someone is lying to you.
I saw the press conference myself.
Old 07-20-21, 06:36 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I'd be speechless.....
Old 07-20-21, 07:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
I just don't understand this new found need that everyone seems to have where they want to tell everyone about every little thing they do.
​​​​​​A lot of people are isolated. Especially the younger generations who don't have enough disposable funds to hang out in person in places like restaurants and movie theaters, or their own homes to have guests, and live in areas that for one reason or another aren't seen as great for young people to be spending time outside. (aka loitering in many places) They use Tik Twit Book to socialize and try to make up for the lack of real connection.

We all tell friends about random things that happened when we get together, just that saying something to a person doesn't last forever the way something posted to the internet can. The urge to share vignettes from your life isn't strange. It's sharing them with large corporations that feed those glimpses of life into a server farm and turn it into advertising mulch and sometimes use it to throw an election too that's weird.
Old 07-20-21, 09:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by skijor View Post
This spurred a search. I did not realize that Uber drivers will haul items.
Yeah, last year when I bought a new vacuum and a few other bulky household items I scheduled an Uber van. I expected to pay more but it was only $5 since it was within a couple of miles of my place. But it depends on many factors. I wouldn't be surprised if the same van would be $20 now.

Oh, and FB is nice for hobby stuff like gardening or whatever. It's been my experience that worthwhile groups don't tolerate belligerent asshats who insist that you accept their [off-topic] ideals as gospel.
Some groups I follow are pretty meticulous about weeding out nonsense posts and repeat offenders. Some don't care and either ignore or seem to enjoy the drama that provokes hundreds of bickering posts over local police activity. Some folks consider every report of a "suspicious character" to represent yet another indication of the end of the world as we have known it. And every fender bender generates dozens of offerings of virtual tots and pears. As opposed to, say, not driving like imbeciles.
Old 07-20-21, 09:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by skijor View Post
This spurred a search. I did not realize that Uber drivers will haul items. Sure I could go with the usual methods which would be stupid expensive. But I've been pondering a cattle panel or two for garden purposes. The thing is, they're not realistic items to haul with one's car...unless you like scratching the hell out of your car, and/or risking the bulky payload coming loose and potentially causing an accident. FYI, cattle panels (aka livestock panels) are 4'x16' and are rather robust. So folding it over on itself and strapping to one's Camry or whatever is not a good option.
Let that Uber driver have a bit of my cash towards his $XX,XXX truck payment.

For what it's worth. I got a mechanical on one of those 15F winter days we get once a year, 45F is normal for us so it felt blistering. I called an Uber XL to take me and the bike home so I come deal with it in the heat. The driver was very disappointed to see that I had a bike and didn't want any scratches or oil stains or anything. He did ultimately give me a lift. It's been years since I've taken a ride share, I think you can communicate before you get a ride, I would advise doing that before relying on them if possible.
Old 07-20-21, 11:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yeah, if I had to get a ride for my bike, whether with Uber or a friend, I'd try to find some newspaper, plastic bag, anything to cover the chain, chainring and derailleurs to reduce the risk of getting grime on their vehicles.
Old 07-21-21, 12:16 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 326 Posts
For what it's worth. I got a mechanical on one of those 15F winter days we get once a year, 45F is normal for us so it felt blistering. I called an Uber XL to take me and the bike home so I come deal with it in the heat. The driver was very disappointed to see that I had a bike and didn't want any scratches or oil stains or anything. He did ultimately give me a lift. It's been years since I've taken a ride share, I think you can communicate before you get a ride, I would advise doing that before relying on them if possible.
Good to know. Thankyou
Old 08-03-21, 10:52 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 1,037 Posts
Here's an option, buy an Oculus VR headset, and leverage their customer support:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/02/10238...e-weeks-or-299

Brandon Sherman of Nevada City, Calif., followed a tip he found on ****** to get his hacked account back.

"I ultimately broke down and bought a $300 Oculus Quest 2," he said. Oculus is a virtual reality company owned by Facebook but with its own customer support system.

Sherman contacted Oculus with his headset's serial number and heard back right away. He plans to return the unopened device, and while he's glad the strategy worked, he doesn't think it's fair.

"The only way you can get any customer service is if you prove that you've actually purchased something from them," he said.
Old 08-03-21, 12:28 PM
teejaywhy

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert; 2018 Breezer Thunder Expert

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Here's an option, buy an Oculus VR headset, and leverage their customer support:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/02/10238...e-weeks-or-299
You can't get customer service from Facebook because you are not a customer. You are in fact, the product.
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 08-03-21, 01:04 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 376 Posts
I saw the press conference myself.
It should be easy for you to link to it.
Old 08-03-21, 02:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I think I've mentioned before that some friends and I have been suspended from Farcebunk a few times for 24 hours to a month. We were reviewing our various infractions to compare the silliest reasons for being suspended. One friend is a friendly but persistent troll, so he's deliberately looking to get banned and has multiple accounts. But he never personally attacks anyone. He just posts crazy stuff to see how FB reacts.

Another friend is an artist, docent and art tour guide. His bans are usually for posting images of nude paintings or sculptures. Occasionally he's been banned for his posts, written summaries of challenging art exhibits, performance art, theater, etc. Because the material is potentially controversial, so are his written summaries.

But so far I think I've won the prize for silliest reason for being suspended by Fakebroke.

I posted a photo of a business that sells nude furniture, with a big sign reading "NUDE FURNITURE."

Yup, that got me suspended a few years ago.

And while I was suspended only once for posting animated gifs from Pulp Fiction, FB deleted all six times I posted the gif. There's no nudity in Pulp Fiction that I can recall. Plenty of violence, but FB doesn't mind that. Somehow their mod-bot interpreted the scene with Marsellus and Butch in Zed's pawn shop basement as sexual violence. But FB is okay with photos of Betty Page wearing the same outfit. TBH, she did wear it better than Marsellus.

Another friend recently received a warning for something he posted seven years ago. Yup, Fakebroke's mod-bots are sifting through everyone's posts, all of them, back to the beginning, and issuing retroactive warnings and suspensions.
Old 08-30-21, 10:40 AM
heatnikki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I was in the same boat, now I use Instagram instead. It's my favorite social media platform. I found cool app to track instagram users activity, can you see someone's comments on instagram? This app helps to stay informed on what your favorite celebrities and friends like on Instagram.

Last edited by heatnikki; 09-03-21 at 12:16 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.