Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How To Celebrate Turning 60

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How To Celebrate Turning 60

Old 07-21-21, 12:26 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayonnaise
Greetings everyone,

Been a long time since I've been here.

I come looking for ideas.

I've been a life-long cyclist and am turning 60 this Summer.

I'm looking for ideas to commemorate this birthday on the bicycle.

Looking for something challenging, Probably multi day. Some travel but not a whole lot.

Anyone here have a big birthday and did something creative on the bike to celebrate it?

Thank you
I was all set to buy a new bike for my 60th (~18 months from now) - had my eye on a Colnago Master, but a wise(r) friend made the point that new experiences are better than more stuff, and I have a great road bike now anyway. I'm considering some bike-orientated tourism - either out west of maybe in Italy or Mallorca
Old 07-21-21, 03:09 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Yea, I was wondering that myself. Everesting is not on my radar ... I think I could do all the climbing, but the mental aspect of repeating the same climb again and again ... oy!

I've never done the Everest Challenge. I always intended to but something got in the way every year. Just another reminder ... do things while you can because nothing lasts forever!

Maybe we should plan a trip and self-support it sometime. I'll bet we would talk at least a few fools into it.

BTW ... this is the Everest Challenge:

https://www.tourofcalifornia.org/200...challenge.html
I remember when the event was running, I never considered it, at least not the full route. I've done some of those climbs but not in the same day. Our club used to go up in summer and stay in Lone Pine or Bishop and climb and eat and sleep for 2 or 3 days. Those trips were a lot of fun and maybe we can do one again. Funny, I bumped into an old friend today and was telling him about the climb to Whitney Portal.
Old 07-21-21, 05:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I ride more than my birthday miles every year, just not on the day. I'm not a big celebrator, though we did ride my wife's age on her 70th. One thing is wanted to do and didn't get to do, is to ride a chunk of the Sierra Cascade bike route. Now that would be an adventure. Our best adventure was to ride our tandem for 2 weeks in the Czech Republic, by ourselves, on a route of our design. That was incredible fun. Numbered bike trails, no main roads, beer, warm people . . .

Adventures are things you come back from.

Old 07-21-21, 05:24 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I remember when the event was running, I never considered it, at least not the full route. I've done some of those climbs but not in the same day. Our club used to go up in summer and stay in Lone Pine or Bishop and climb and eat and sleep for 2 or 3 days. Those trips were a lot of fun and maybe we can do one again. Funny, I bumped into an old friend today and was telling him about the climb to Whitney Portal.
You would think that I would have done most of those claims, but I haven't!

I've done Horseshoe, Sabrina, and White Mountain, and that little spur off to Death Valley, but have not done Whitney Portal, Onion Valley or Big Pine (Glacier Lodge). I heard Whitney Portal and Onion Valley are tough. I think Whitney Portal was just recently resurfaced too.

Old 07-21-21, 05:41 PM
big john

You would think that I would have done most of those claims, but I haven't!

I've done Horseshoe, Sabrina, and White Mountain, and that little spur off to Death Valley, but have not done Whitney Portal, Onion Valley or Big Pine (Glacier Lodge). I heard Whitney Portal and Onion Valley are tough. I think Whitney Portal was just recently resurfaced too.
One day we went to Sabrina and South Lake and stopped at North Lake on the way back down. It was an epic day. It was a dry year and all the stores and cafes were happy to see us.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-14-23, 01:21 AM
ZeroG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this the Mayonnaise of old?! Dude, I used to read your writings back when you worked as a courier and that was some of the funniest and most authentic and original things I've read... I got your zine/booklet somewhere too... turning 60, we'll this post is a bit outdated, so you hopefully managed that well but I don't come on here too often (think it was like 5 years back) but still, I'm soon turning 50 and decided that I will be taking a more serious look into bikepacking and all it offers. I've done a ton of riding and touring, but bikepacking (basically offroad touring) seems to be something I have not done so much of if any. Well that's on the horizon for me. Others have chimed in already on new custom builds, and I've done that skit already when I turned 40, 45, etc., and it's great and there is always room for more but after awhile one turns into a "collector" with a bunch of expensive rides, and that's not anything that appeals too much to me. At any rate, keep rollin, doing you, and maybe just one day I'll be fortunate enough to cross paths with you IRL.
Old 10-15-23, 01:14 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts

Maybe travel with SWMBO to someplace different.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-15-23, 02:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
When I turned 60, I took a COVID test (first infection after dodging it for 3 years) and found out I had a Paxlovid rebound. Fortunately, it didn't last very long. I never got around to "celebrating" it.
Old 10-15-23, 02:14 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC

Maybe travel with SWMBO to someplace different.
I just noticed this is another necropost. The guy is 63 now.
Old 10-16-23, 06:04 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I just noticed this is another necropost. The guy is 63 now.
Oh fudge.
Old 12-11-23, 03:45 PM
Mike_Z

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SS, Bianchi Tangent, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn Super Le Tour, Schwinn Le Tour, IRO Fixie, Schwinn beach cruisers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 17 Posts
I hit 59 last month, hoping to train to the point I can do 100 miles by my 60th.
Old 12-12-23, 08:21 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Turn 60 in February and I scaled back to a more reasonable ride for me.
I have not been up to Mount Baldy Village and beyond in a few years so an out-and-back would be about 60+ miles and 6K+ feet of climb.
That is enough for me to handle. This is all weather permitting of course but it would be fantastic to take some snow pics.
Old 12-12-23, 12:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I have not been up to Mount Baldy Village and beyond in a few years so an out-and-back would be about 60+ miles and 6K+ feet of climb.
Be cautious, and use lights front and back. That tunnel scares me, in both directions. Those SoCal drivers drive quite fast.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-12-23, 12:36 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Be cautious, and use lights front and back. That tunnel scares me, in both directions. Those SoCal drivers drive quite fast.
I think with 60+ miles of distance, that would be taking GMR/GRR to Baldy Village and back, so the traffic shouldn't be too bad, and no tunnels.

I was in the same boat recently, but had a few miles more to go my age.

If you want to make about that distance without making that climb to the ski lifts, try starting at Encanto, take 39 the junction, then Camp Williams to the East Fork climb, to GRR and to the Village. Like so:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45150860

Likes For Biker395:
Old 12-13-23, 09:56 AM
big john

The tunnel is on Mt Baldy road which sucks going up or down. Taking GMR/GRR avoids the tunnel and is a much quieter route.
Old 12-13-23, 10:00 AM
big john

I think with 60+ miles of distance, that would be taking GMR/GRR to Baldy Village and back, so the traffic shouldn't be too bad, and no tunnels.

If you want to make about that distance without making that climb to the ski lifts, try starting at Encanto, take 39 the junction, then Camp Williams to the East Fork climb, to GRR and to the Village. Like so:

It's what we did in post #12 of this thread for my 60th. In a few months that will have been 10 years!
Likes For big john:
Old 12-13-23, 10:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

The tunnel is on Mt Baldy road which sucks going up or down. Taking GMR/GRR avoids the tunnel and is a much quieter route.
Thanks. I'm partial to the harder Mt. Baldy Road for the challenge (and the shorter distance makes hill repeats more practical), but the comments on pjammcycling say the road is in poor shape.

Old 12-13-23, 11:01 AM
big john

Thanks. I'm partial to the harder Mt. Baldy Road for the challenge (and the shorter distance makes hill repeats more practical), but the comments on pjammcycling say the road is in poor shape.
Check out hwy 39 some time.

Likes For big john:
Old 12-13-23, 11:16 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Check out hwy 39 some time.

Ooh, tempting!

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-13-23, 11:22 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
After riding down Mt Baldy Rd a few times, I would never attempt to ride up and much prefer the descent on GMR-GRR.
If I get lucky, GMR-GRR will be closed to vehicles but it is a slow descent in winter with rocks and ice along the way.
I had to turnaround once on GRR due to ice even though I was on my 29er. Had second and third thoughts that this would be a self-rescue if I went down hard and injured myself. Hypothermia would be a real concern.
Old 12-13-23, 08:09 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Turn 60 in February and I scaled back to a more reasonable ride for me.
That is enough for me to handle. This is all weather permitting of course but it would be fantastic to take some snow pics.

Why not Go EAST young man and enjoy wonderful weather, NO tunnels, great rest stops, SAG support riding Six Gap or Three Gap ---
p.s. - rode this 3 years straight with 1st time 8 years ago at 65yo and living in Flat Land SW FL where 100 miles has 80' elevation change.

https://6gap.com/the-rides/six-gap-century/
Old 12-13-23, 09:01 PM
big john

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Why not Go EAST young man and enjoy wonderful weather, NO tunnels, great rest stops, SAG support riding Six Gap or Three Gap ---
p.s. - rode this 3 years straight with 1st time 8 years ago at 65yo and living in Flat Land SW FL where 100 miles has 80' elevation change.

https://6gap.com/the-rides/six-gap-century/
Well, I can be at the bottom of the Mount Baldy climb in about 30 minutes driving time. It's free and the weather here is usually pretty good.

Likes For big john: