Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used bike value assessment?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Used bike value assessment?

Old 07-22-21, 10:20 AM
sayn3ver

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Used bike value assessment? 2015 emonda sl8

I've read a couple threads via search but would like some help.

There is a somewhat local listing for a trek emonda sl8 with upgraded wheels. It's listed as a 2018 but that model doesn't exist that year. By looking at the archived specs with the color and non direct mount brakes it looks like a 2015. Seller has it listed as new never ridden. But the seat, stem and bar tape are different.

I haven't went to look at the bike in person cause it's at the far end of acceptable driving distance for purchases which is an hour drive one way.

It's listed at $3500 which seems high for a $4300ish msrp of 2018. If it's a 2015 which I believe it is I think it's way overpriced despite being new or barely ridden but that's me.

I've been out of the hobby for ten years. I also am not sure if covid is playing havoc with used prices as it has with new prices.

It is my frame size and it's rim brakes which is a benefit for me and not a negative.

I''m looking to be fair and don't want to insult or low-ball anyone but also have no need or desire or desperation to over pay as if I'm patient I'm sure there will be plenty of used inventory in the next year or so as people get out of the sport post covid.

I'm currently riding a 1989 bianchi giro with campy Athena components and downtube shifters so I'm looking for something in the $800-$2000 range to upgrade to as I miss brifters and would like cleaner shifting.

I personally feel $1800 would be a generous offer and probably over paying to be honest but maybe I'm way out of touch as I never have purchased any modern carbon bikes before l, especially anything close to being equipped with dura ace.

Any thoughts? I looked at recent sold ebay listings and everything seems to be a bit newer but trimmed at sl6 levels meaning Ultegra going to $2500-3000 which seems crazy to me. Again, has covid affected the used bike market as hard as it has video cards?

Last edited by sayn3ver; 07-22-21 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added more information to title.
Old 07-22-21, 10:26 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Whether or not it's an accurate assessment of value, an offer of ~half listed price will almost always be seen as low balling and not be taken well. Covid does seem to have driven prices up, but 80% of new price for a 6 year old bike seems a stretch.
Old 07-22-21, 10:34 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
The seller is definitely starting high and expecting to haggle. Your offer of 1800 is not way out of line. Or maybe seller really believes that’s what it’s worth. In that case, you should keep looking—unless you just really love this particular bike for some reason.

Maybe the seller will get upset and say you’re coming with a low ball offer. It doesn’t hurt to try though. Both buying and selling through local online ads, I’ve almost always gone through a negotiation process, two or three offers and counter offers. Don’t feel bad; that’s just how it’s done.
Old 07-22-21, 11:49 AM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Whether or not it's an accurate assessment of value, an offer of ~half listed price will almost always be seen as low balling and not be taken well. Covid does seem to have driven prices up, but 80% of new price for a 6 year old bike seems a stretch.
Ive seen others suggest half of list for bikes older than 5+ year. I also think having it mis labeled year wise is inviting lower offers. One model year I get due to overlap of model year vs year purchased.

Three years mis labeled and the change of components like saddle, a short high rise stem and bar tape suggest that from a sight unseen perspective, means the item was indeed probably ridden. All of which make the listing curious at best.

This is why I am posted as I am not looking to be a low ******. I just don't genuinely know what's a fair offer especially in this current covid altered marketplace.

I'm just starting my search so I'm not particularly invested in any make model or trim.
Old 07-22-21, 12:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Prices for used bikes were stupid high 12 years ago too. For various reasons too. COVID certainly has not helped. If you are willing to pay 3500 bucks for a bike, you can get a decent new bike for that. Any old bike you pay that much for is already dated by more modern components that are on the new bikes.

The last used bike I bought was my Raleigh Comp and I paid less than half the asking price. If they won't come down, buy new.
Old 07-22-21, 12:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Hmmm...

Looking up Trek Emonda SLR, SL6, or SL8 on E-Bay, and they don't come cheap!!!

Of course the asking prices and selling prices may not always be the same, and on E-Bay, several were sold for "offer".

I very much doubt you'll get the bike for less than $2500, or even $3000, and if you offer $1800, you may get yourself blocked.
Old 07-22-21, 02:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Does the bike being sold look like this?
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...oduct/3075346/
Old 07-22-21, 03:09 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
When I see Specialzied Allezs being sold with 105 for $3500 used, nothing in the used bike market surprises me any more.
Old 07-22-21, 05:15 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Does the bike being sold look like this?
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...oduct/3075346/

Yes it's that that same color and group set. However the bike comes with the upgraded bontrager paradigm Wheels I believe vs the race.
The consensus however is that those blue book websites are not very accurate in obtaining real market value.

When you check treks website under the archives 2015 was the last year for that black color scheme for the sl8 that came with dura ace traditional mount rimbrakes
Old 07-22-21, 05:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
One thing in your favor is that I believe the bike market is seasonal.

So, we're already in late July. In a week it will be August, and I would presume sales would start dropping (in the North).

There may be a slight bump when colleges resume, but after that the bikes are dead stock for another year.

High end bikes just don't move as quickly as the low cost bikes.
Old 07-22-21, 05:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Consider a new groupset for current frame?
Old 07-22-21, 06:36 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I'd be looking for a high quality pic of the crankset, showing pristine teeth and a total lack of scuff marks on the crank arm. Never been ridden is an extraordinary claim.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-22-21, 06:52 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Don’t overthink it. Offer your $1800, so what if he doesn’t like it. What’s he going to do, block you? Oh my. You could wait some days, let him argue with some other folks first. After talking to various Nigerian Princes, guys sending a friend over with a check for the full amount, cat ladies wanting to trade a Turkish rug and a case of homemade jam, he may be receptive to your offer. Cash is always king.
Old 07-22-21, 07:16 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Consider a new groupset for current frame?
My current frame is a steel bianchi 7spd with downtube shifters. I'm looking for something newer with brifters and possibly something that takes a 28c tire.

If it was cost and time effective I would probably just get a shorter and less negative rise quill stem and put on a 10spd group set but then I'd need new wheels too and someone to spread the rear chain stays to accept the wider rear hub. If I go down that route I would want a better frame. Not that there is anything wrong per se with the older Reynolds tubed frame.

I don't have the time per se to hunt down budget components on ebay. I'd want to buy an entire group set and be done.

Last edited by sayn3ver; 07-22-21 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-22-21, 07:38 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Don’t overthink it. Offer your $1800, so what if he doesn’t like it. What’s he going to do, block you? Oh my. You could wait some days, let him argue with some other folks first. After talking to various Nigerian Princes, guys sending a friend over with a check for the full amount, cat ladies wanting to trade a Turkish rug and a case of homemade jam, he may be receptive to your offer. Cash is always king.
I spoke with the gentleman on the phone about availability before making my original post. He's an older gentleman as his sister actually was the one who has the listing posted. He's not fluent with technology. Not even sms. He did say price was negotiable but that's a generic sort of statement.

​​​​​​Again, being involved in other hobbies like photography, reef keeping, etc there is usually a certain level of respect when making offers. There's discounted used pricing and then there is craigslist low balls.

I've been on the selling end of listings many times, which was the driving force for me posting originally before I speak with the seller again.
Old 07-22-21, 08:31 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by sayn3ver
persay
It's Latin: per se.
Old 07-22-21, 08:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by sayn3ver
I spoke with the gentleman on the phone about availability before making my original post. He's an older gentleman as his sister actually was the one who has the listing posted. He's not fluent with technology. Not even sms. He did say price was negotiable but that's a generic sort of statement.

​​​​​​Again, being involved in other hobbies like photography, reef keeping, etc there is usually a certain level of respect when making offers. There's discounted used pricing and then there is craigslist low balls.

I've been on the selling end of listings many times, which was the driving force for me posting originally before I speak with the seller again.
The farther you travel to it the less he'll be willing to drop the price since you already invested time and gas money just to get there.

You might want to look at The Pros Closet for comparison.
Old 07-22-21, 08:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If they won't come down, buy new.
The second to last time I was in my local Trek-dealer LBS, the floor was almost empty. Last week there were more bikes, but few Trek roadbikes.

Supply is very limited at the moment.
Old 07-22-21, 09:22 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Halve the retain price and take another 10% off for every year.

This usually works well, but quadruple it in 2021 because covid.
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-22-21, 10:23 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
It's Latin: per se.
Fixed👍
Likes For sayn3ver:
Old 07-22-21, 10:48 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
The second to last time I was in my local Trek-dealer LBS, the floor was almost empty. Last week there were more bikes, but few Trek roadbikes.

Supply is very limited at the moment.
yep. Stopped in today and they had like 3 domane and 1 emonda in stock. 1 domane in my size but not my trim/price range. Roughly a 1.5-2 month wait for a demo bike in my size. Was told bikes are coming in but only for those who put deposits down. I asked dumbly how would I know what size to put a deposit on without having any inventory to sit on and get a rough fit.

Was told their 30 day return policy would cover any fit issues if a different size was needed. So wait 1-2 months for a bike to come in, if it's the wrong size refund and then I guess you wait another 1-2 months?

I don't think new will be in the cards anyway as I don't really think I want discs.
Old 07-22-21, 10:53 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
The farther you travel to it the less he'll be willing to drop the price since you already invested time and gas money just to get there.

Good point on distance.

I was planning on just asking on the phone before doing any driving. I know haggling on the phone isn't effective but if we are so far away on price I don't want to waste my time or his.

Luckily something else turned up locally today for sale that's 10min away. So now I'll just shoot my shot and see.
Old 07-23-21, 06:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

This isn't a bad idea, but what you'd probably want to do is find out how much higher in general TPC's prices are, vs. what was paid to the seller. IOW, think of the OP as competition with TPC for buying that same bike.
Old 07-23-21, 08:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
If you look on the manufacturer websites, many have a link on the detail page for each model that will show you what dealer has that model in inventory and the miles from you. Of course you need to call the dealer before heading that way and be certain the inventory isn't wrong.

If you are up for a drive, then might be an excuse to get out of town. Your local bike shop won't be too P.O.'d at you. They'll still work on your bike, provide warranty service if they are an authorized dealer of that brand, sell you tires and tubes and talk to you when you come in.
Old 07-23-21, 03:45 PM
sayn3ver

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This isn't a bad idea, but what you'd probably want to do is find out how much higher in general TPC's prices are, vs. what was paid to the seller. IOW, think of the OP as competition with TPC for buying that same bike.
​​​​​​
I find strange both trek and another local shop both directly ship trade in bikes to either tpc or bikebluebook. Trek actually had a trade in the day I went but wouldn't show me as they said they don't sell used bikes.

​​​​​​Meanwhile, since I am mechanically inclined the only advantage tpc could offer for their elevated used prices would be frame scans for fractures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.