Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 07-21-21, 07:25 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Been a while since I've posted. I've been riding, but not as much as normal. Took the Carrera out today and as the sun climbed in the sky realized that it's not morning haze but smoke, presumably from the Oregon fires on the other side of the continent. Even on the muggiest of days the Blue Ridge stands clear in the distance but barely visible today for most of my ride. This pic is about the only somewhat clear view as the mountain is only a couple of miles away.

Happy Belated Birthday to Drillum Dude and all you other July guys! 53 in one week for me but alas, I'm working that day so the birthday ride will be rain checked.
Miss you, dude

Simmons Gap Road, tho….yowza
Old 07-21-21, 08:01 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
It's been a while since I last posted in this thread, too. I've been riding a little, but not as much as I'd like. I have spent a lot of time wrenching, though (plus various other summer home projects). I went for an easy 20-miler- this afternoon--recovery ride from a hilly 40-miler the other day that destroyed me more than it should have. Today, I started off on the bay trail that runs along the waterfront with views of SF, then I made my way through parts of Oakland, Piedmont, and Montclair via a Moraga Road climb, before winding my way back home through the UC Berkeley campus. Just the one shot of the Campanile (Sather Tower).

Old 07-22-21, 06:28 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
I just wanted to turn the cranks a while for some good cardio and explore a bit. So I connected up to the trail system in Skippack, PA. They've done an impressive job with trails the connect all sorts of places and have this great expanse of open space and athletic fields. Not an epic ride but any ride involving winding trails for a couple of hours in cool morning air and no vehicles to watch for is fine with me. I know this Trek is not allowed in the C&V clubhouse but it was the one that came up in the rotation. A very satisfying ride.

Old 07-22-21, 07:22 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Similarly, spent a lovely two hours and seventeen minutes riding 30 miles on the Fairfax Cross County Trail.
Some concrete, some asphalt, some gravel, but all shady and womderful.
None of the pictures were worth posting, but the Pelizzoli and I enjoyed the morning.
Old 07-22-21, 10:43 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
JRA today, but still got 50+ in the process. First ride on the Casati in forever - enjoy!

Someone took a wrong turn!

New tunnel lights just installed thanks to the old ones being vandalized:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-22-21 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 09:15 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Hot and humid day, temps in the upper 80s. Did 60 miles after work, north.

Spied a Calvatia gigantea the size of a soccer ball growing by the tracks. Too big to carry or eat. Note discarded water bottle in upper right for scale.

North Branch of the Chicago River looking a bit green.

On the river bridge.

Sunset at the Baháʼí Temple. We're getting smoke from the west, which is giving the sky a hazy, red color.

Old 07-23-21, 11:21 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Out on one of my usual routes to Independence. Lot of cyclists out on the road today, many sporting aero setups, because Salem, Oregon is hosting Ironman 70.3 this Sunday. Rode along with the road reconnaissance crew for a while, which must have been a funny sight: 50-something guy on '80s Peugeot touring bike keeping pace with four 20-somethings on their carbon Canyons. One of them said to me "Man, that's a classical bike, you don't need no stinkin' carbon!"

Not many pics, but here's what our Riverfront Park is looking like:

Last edited by johnnyace; 07-23-21 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 07-23-21, 05:28 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
I live on the other side of the country but the last ride through Limburg I posted on here would probably have been impossible last weekend as we too had some major flooding in that area. Fortunately no deaths like in some of the surrounding countries, partially because the hills and mountains are not as tall, partially because the Netherlands has been working hard the past 25 years to give more (spillover) room to water in many areas. That's not to say the rest failed. We were lucky and were not prepared for intense rainfall either and it could have ended badly as well. Just goes to show we need to start doing something about our changing climate and our environment to adjust to the changes that are already here.

That being said, I took the K-M Graveller on a gravel ride by Bjornrides.cc between Breda and Tilburg.
Lots of forest paths, gravel roads, singletrack, some sand and a quick stop at a fake airport built by the Germans in WW2.

I crashed into a ditch near the beginning because I came in too hot on a much too narrow farmer's road and tumbled over at low speed. I hit the elevated middle section and couldn't steer over it. No real damage except for a bleeding spot on my knee but I could go on.
Halfway through after my lunch break I suddenly had a flat and just swapped with a spare inner tube I was carrying with me.

All in all a beautiful ride though but definitely not for anything much narrower than 38mm.

Forest roads. Nice and shady with the occasional pothole

Some actual gravel! Small rocks but still. Around Rotterdam where I live it's rare

Nice small lakes dot the area

Narrow roads, stinging-nettle and shorts are not the greatest combo

It's a fake plane! In WW2 the Germans had a fake airfield around here to confuse the Allied forces and prevent them from bombing the nearby military airfield. This up here is a modern day replica.

Swapping inner tubes to fix a flat and keep on going.

More narrow hard-packed sandy roads

Muddy forest roads are awesome but not great with tight fitting fenders.
Old 07-24-21, 10:37 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I finally found some Pasela skin-walls in stock so I can start taking this bike on longer rides. Now I need bottle cages so I can hydrate with something other than iced coffee.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-24-21, 12:06 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Short stage on the Tour de Shady Pines but took a fabulous and maybe rare machine to ride. The Speckled Trout Bertoni is a fabulous ride. I need to check out this Waffle Station.

Not my greatest ride but a bad ride is better than no ride eh?

Colorful background

I am not sure how fresh the food can be in a place not much larger than a Fotomat.

I won the Yellow Leader’s jersey today!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-24-21, 12:18 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I finally found some Pasela skin-walls in stock so I can start taking this bike on longer rides. Now I need bottle cages so I can hydrate with something other than iced coffee.

Do you have the receipt for those Pasela? I don’t see how this one passed quality control.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-24-21, 01:19 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Do you have the receipt for those Pasela? I don’t see how this one passed quality control.
That picture is of the Schwinn Records that are currently on the bike. The Paselas will be here Monday

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-24-21, 03:51 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Had a spoke failure at the nipple when about 5 miles into Friday's ride (Colnago). I bent it a little bit so as to trap it between a couple neighboring spokes. Got home safely at very low speed; this is a 32H wheelset and the lost spoke gave the rear wheel a good bend. Once home I switched out to the Davidson and got my 30 for the day. I figured I'd drop off the wheel today and get the spoke replaced/wheel trued.

I wish.

Goodbye, Campy Hi-Low

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-24-21, 04:00 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Had a spoke failure at the nipple when about 5 miles into Friday's ride (Colnago). I bent it a little bit so as to trap it between a couple neighboring spokes. Got home safely at very low speed; this is a 32H wheelset and the lost spoke gave the rear wheel a good bend. Once home I switched out to the Davidson and got my 30 for the day. I figured I'd drop off the wheel today and get the spoke replaced/wheel trued.

I wish.

Goodbye, Campy Hi-Low

DD
Ouch! What a bummer. Sorry to see it.
Likes For fender1:
Old 07-24-21, 04:02 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Got in 46 today. Great bike and great weather!

Old 07-24-21, 04:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I wish.

Goodbye, Campy Hi-Low

DD

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-24-21, 04:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

That picture is of the Schwinn Records that are currently on the bike. The Paselas will be here Monday
Wow! Did you discover that during the ride? They do appear past their prime, huh?

Call me crazy, but for sure I wouldn't roll out of the house on a tire which looked as if it were about to lose a sizeable chunk of its tread

DD
Old 07-24-21, 05:09 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 129 Posts
Checking my bluebird-box trail in a nearby county park, I found all 3 boxes empty, which means that maybe the wrens have given up filling the boxes with sticks to deter competition. The tree swallows fledged and moved out weeks ago. So, tho it is late in the season, I have hope that some bluebirds will nest in at least one of the boxes this year.
On the 1996 GT Outpost, again.

Likes For NJgreyhead:
Old 07-24-21, 05:16 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Call me crazy, but for sure I wouldn't roll out of the house on a tire which looked as if it were about to lose a sizeable chunk of its tread
You wouldn't be crazy but I may be for riding them.

I've actually only been riding them for spins around the neighborhood and gently down a local path for coffee. I did ride them 25 miles today but not more than about 5 miles from the house and again at a casual enough speed.

I bought the bike, a Takara bike boom survivor, back in February and at the time didn't prioritize getting tires for it and there seemed to be what I wanted in stock several places. When I decided to start an overhaul on it all the 1-1/8 skin-walls were gone. I finally found two of the Paselas last week. I don't like the looks of the tread on the Paselas and would have rather had a raised center like the bike was probably born with, but they seem to get good enough reviews and will let me safely take the bike out for longer rides on the back roads.

I'm sure the person that replaced the original tires with the Schwinns back in the middle to late 80s had no idea some maniac would still be riding them today.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-24-21, 05:24 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Oh I suspected as much, just thought I try and have a bit of a joke

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-24-21, 05:53 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 226 Posts
That so sucks. On a high flange no less. Dang....
Old 07-24-21, 09:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Rode downtown this afternoon to run an errand and rode on to Pioneer Square ... and there was a band playing in Occidental Park. Apparently this is a thing this month and next. Going to try to make this a weekend habit. Man, it's really good to see people enjoying live music together and dancing. Really put a smile on my face.

https://www.pioneersquare.org/experi...-square-sounds
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-25-21, 11:02 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 1,743 Posts
Finally got around to finishing the Daccordi today, and took it for a shakedown ride and some pictures. The sky looked ominous, so I made sure not to stray too far from home.

Old 07-25-21, 03:52 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 904 Posts
My birthday is coming up, but I’ll be working so decided to get the birthday miles in today. Set out on what I thought would be 50-55 miles (looking for 53} and it turned out to be a hard 66 miles. I rode from just outside the town of Crozet north along the shoulder of the Blue Ridge. I went up the climb on Simmons Gap road to Skyline drive, back south and descended through Rockfish Gap back to my start. Very muggy day , but cloudy and threatened rain, so temps weren’t too bad, especially up on the mountain. Thought for sure I’d get wet today, but only rain was about 2 minutes to cool me off at mile 53. Thanks for the birthday present weather gods! I thought the birthday trick today would be 5300 feet of climbing, but the last bit in the final picture below put me at 5400 for the day. My wife and youngest met me at the peach orchard at the finish for a peach milk shake.

My task for the day is to get up there

For those of you who know Simmons Gap Rd, I approached from the other direction, which meant a stiff paved climb followed by direct descent to the real climb.

Doc Cannondale Memeorial Rest Stop

Skyline Drive looking southwest

Home stretch I only had to climb a little bit of that before downhill rest of the way home
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Old 07-25-21, 04:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Happy birthday in advance, Hugh!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.