Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A new addition to my Made In England fleet. 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-21, 02:03 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts

I drove 40 miles north yesterday to have a look at this old Lenton. The seller knew a little about the bike but the ad said it was from 1963. The pics were also unclear and kind far away. I knew I was looking the real deal but I couldn’t make out too many details. When I arrived and met the seller, he was very nice and as helpful as he could be. I looked the bike over and determined that it’s the last version of the Reynolds 531 frames. The Benelux cable operated front derailleur and the Chrome ornament atop the fork should place the date to 1960 or 61. As I looked the bike over I noticed a few things that are wrong with it but nothing that will affect my enjoyment. One of the pump pegs is broken off, one of the rear wingnuts is broken, there is a small police ID number etched into the head tube, and at some point somebody attached a kickstand. The kickstand damage isn’t too bad but it’s definitely noticeable. It’s also missing the beautiful seat tube transfer. On the plus side, the paint is in very good condition and most of the original/difficult to find pieces are still present. I was also assured by the seller that the bike has had a recent overhaul and that all of the bearings have fresh grease. I’m going to check the bearings anyway, but everything is smooth as can be and the cables are new. As it sits, it’s built as an upright rider, but on the ground in front of it, in the first photo, and buried beneath Shimano 105 and some bar tape, lay the original steel handlebars. I have no idea what they were most recently attached to but the seller included them, so hey, free brake levers for another project. I’ll need to find GB levers that match the Sport MK3 calipers if I decide to put everything back as nature intended. As for the build, I have no idea if the lamp works but I can shed pounds from the bike if I remove it. The MKS toe clips are a major toe overlap problem and will shred the fragile front fender, so they will be removed. With regards to the Bluemels themselves, due to their fragile and fidgety nature, I don’t really think ride-ability is their best quality. I like them more for their - spirit -, I suppose. I like being able to say “My Lenton has Bluemels” but I don’t think regular use is a good Idea. They’re not cracked anywhere yet and I’ll keep them, but I’m thinking a riding set of mud guards is in order. As for the handlebars that are currently on it, they too, are made of steel and heavy. The cork grips spin on the bar and cannot stay. The brake levers are Velo Orange and work well. First thing I did when I got it home was photograph it. Then I lowered the stem to a safe level and rode it for a few blocks I do like this bike as an upright rider but these not the components I would have chosen. The tires are new 27 x 1 3/8 Kenda cheapies. New and better rubber will happen, but I don’t like to throw away usable tires so they’re staying for awhile. I’ve got some decisions to make. All in all I like the feel of it. It’s not fast but it’s very comfortable.

More pics

Last edited by Pcampeau; 01-04-22 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-24-21, 02:06 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Also included were these chromed front and rear racks. I’m not sure if they’re original to the bike but I may put them back on, I love how they look!

And these are the other three Made in England bikes the Lenton will be joining, all still in the project queue, as well as a smattering of 70s and 80s era Raleigh’s. Some of you may recall seeing them in some of my other threads.

1953 Rotrax Super Course.

1960 Carlton Franco Suisse.

Mid 70s Falcon San Remo 76.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 07-24-21 at 03:17 PM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 07-24-21, 03:15 PM
Pcampeau

A few additional pics.

Both wheels are in wonderful condition! The original Dunlop Special rims run straight and are very shiny. Wheels have classic configuration of double butted spokes 32 up front and 40 in back laced to Racelite hubs.

Sometime between yesterday and 1960 the top tube acquired a pair of these University of Minnesota stickers. Really they are very thin and impressively stuck on decals. I love being from Minnesota but this isn’t how I want to represent. I prefer to let T-shirts and hoodies do the talking. I’ll have to find a gentle way to remove these, it’s difficult and my thumb isn’t up to the task.

Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 07-24-21, 03:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Beautiful bikes and nice pick up. To remove the MN sticker, try a heat gun.

I noticed how many British bikes you have in the build queue. I'm in the same boat so to speak. I have a 1971 Whitcomb, a 1950s Claud Butler Jubilee, and a 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport on the build queue.
Old 07-24-21, 04:51 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
That’s quite a wonderful machine!
Old 07-24-21, 08:40 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...that is really clean and complete. I thought the one I had here was pretty spiffy, but I think that one might be even cleaner.
If you're interested in adding it back, I think you can still get the seat tube transfer from H Lloyd in the UK.

I took off the fenders on mine, too, and added back some SKS that strike me as a little less likely to fold up and jam the wheel, which if you've ever done it, ruins your day.
I couldn't rationalize using the original stem and bar, because they weigh a ton, and I got tired of those Dunlop rims after two rides on them. I need better tyres at full inflation.

It's a surprisingly good riding bike with a few performance updates. they only came in two frame sizes, and the larger ones, like that one, are harder to find. Good score.

Old 07-24-21, 08:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
The cork grips spin on the bar and cannot stay.
...that's common with those. You have to fix them in place with contact cement if you want to use them. Unfortunately, this means you need to destroy them to remove them again.
Old 07-24-21, 09:28 PM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...that is really clean and complete. I thought the one I had here was pretty spiffy, but I think that one might be even cleaner.
If you're interested in adding it back, I think you can still get the seat tube transfer from H Lloyd in the UK.

I took off the fenders on mine, too, and added back some SKS that strike me as a little less likely to fold up and jam the wheel, which if you've ever done it, ruins your day.
I couldn't rationalize using the original stem and bar, because they weigh a ton, and I got tired of those Dunlop rims after two rides on them. I need better tyres at full inflation.

It's a surprisingly good riding bike with a few performance updates. they only came in two frame sizes, and the larger ones, like that one, are harder to find. Good score.

Thanks 3alarmer, I read the thread you posted a couple of years ago about your Lenton. I like how it turned out. I’m definitely looking around for the seat tube transfer as I think it’s absolutely classic. I appreciate the lead and I’ll check out H Lloyd.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 07-25-21, 07:37 PM
bluesteak 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 52 Posts
Mud guards

If you are seriously taking the fenders off and just have them sit around I could use them on my 61 Kenton.
Old 10-12-21, 12:28 PM
Pcampeau

Update

I’ve acquired a set of GB Arret brake levers to go with the GB Sport MK3 calipers that are on the bike. This allowed me to put the original heavy steel handlebars back in place and finish it with white cloth bar tape. Here it is as I ride it today.

I may still make some changes at a later date but for now, I want the full 1960 experience.
Likes For Pcampeau: