Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gianni Motta 1966? bike - identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-24-21, 06:09 PM
pzajaac0709

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am now a proud owner of bike like on attached photos. What i can see is :
- almost all drive set is Campagnolo Record or Campagnolo Nuovo Record,
- rims Mavic MODULE E2
- brakes Equipe Modolo
- brake levers Galli
- seat post SR Laprade
- handlebar + stem Cinelli with Giro d'Italia logos
- this 1966 sticker on seat tube

As far as i found some data, these rims are 1979+, no other parts i could place in timeline. Can someone help me to determine how old is bike, help me to found some datasheet, market folders etc connected with this bike?

What is not original now:
- inner tubes
- bar tape
- shifters' wires

Nothing more I have changed myself.

Is it worth to renovate this bike? Is this something common, or a little unique?

Thanks for any replies!

////// how to paste photos? i have fresh account, i cannot add any link or photo attachment ////
Old 07-24-21, 06:12 PM
pzajaac0709

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is one photo:
imgur .com/huuyQOZ

I will try to post 10 posts having sense and i will come back

PZ
Old 07-24-21, 06:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by pzajaac0709
Here is one photo:
imgur .com/huuyQOZ

I will try to post 10 posts having sense and i will come back

PZ
You can create an album on your profile and upload pics to it. One of the posters will then upload the pics to this thread. The site does not allow newbie to post pics until they hit 10 posts; it's an anti-spam measure.
Old 07-24-21, 06:20 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
Can do 5 total for 2 days, then you have hit 10 and your free to add many.

For today, add anything else you can think of about your new bike as 1 then just two quick ones under intro's or even post on other threads if you see a nice bike, add a post saying "Nice bike!". That'll take care of today. You can add more details about where you are under your profile as well, always useful.

Also you can add photos to an album at start (hopefully someone else posts to explain how that's done!). Once they're on someone will transfer.
Old 07-24-21, 10:58 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 180 Posts

Last edited by philpeugeot; 07-24-21 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-25-21, 05:30 AM
pzajaac0709

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here I have upoladed around 50 pics:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Jg1h8ZYXEE6u76WaxC3_AkZIvTW4TcQn?usp=sharing

I am looking forward for any info about this bike - can this be (mostly) original? What can be a real date of this bike?

Thanks

Last edited by pzajaac0709; 07-25-21 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-25-21, 05:56 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Welcome! And that is a nice bike.

1966 refers to Gianni Motta winning the Giro d'Italia. The bike itself is from the early eighties, by the looks of it.

There will be date codes on the parts that will help you narrow it down. Other members will surely be along who can tell you exactly where to find those codes and how to decipher them.

Old 07-25-21, 11:11 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
Fahrrad Haus Bachmaier Giesing? Well that's a new one, thought I had the usual suspects selling racing gear in Munich complete
I agree, early eighties. My dad had a similar Motta (from a dealer in Holzkirchen I think) of that vintage, his was in a gold color but, coincidentally, also had some funny fake leopard skin saddle, mußt have been hot stuff at the time .

Very likely OEM made (Billato), don't think Motta had his own fabrication apart maybe from some pantoed bling-bling brazed by his former team mechanic - usual modus operandi for retired pros of that Era, to source an income that way.

Nice enough bike though and looks in good condition to polish it up a bit and enjoy on the road.
Typical specimen of an early 80ies mid range bike.

You will find a date code stamped to the inside of the outer nuts of the rear hub (nut has to be removed to see it). This indicates the year of the hub, not necessarily of the bike itself. The cranks will have the year of production stamped on as well, a number inside a rhombus or square, (a web search will reveal how to decode). If both are close, it's an indication the parts are original equipment and the frames vintage will be in the same ballpark.

Last edited by martl; 07-25-21 at 11:17 AM.
Likes For martl:
Old 07-25-21, 10:48 PM
pzajaac0709

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
Fahrrad Haus Bachmaier Giesing? Well that's a new one, thought I had the usual suspects selling racing gear in Munich complete
I agree, early eighties. My dad had a similar Motta (from a dealer in Holzkirchen I think) of that vintage, his was in a gold color but, coincidentally, also had some funny fake leopard skin saddle, mußt have been hot stuff at the time .

You will find a date code stamped to the inside of the outer nuts of the rear hub (nut has to be removed to see it). This indicates the year of the hub, not necessarily of the bike itself. The cranks will have the year of production stamped on as well, a number inside a rhombus or square, (a web search will reveal how to decode). If both are close, it's an indication the parts are original equipment and the frames vintage will be in the same ballpark.
Thanks for many details,
regarding 1st, yes, it has been bought somewhere around Untergiesing in mid 90's. I will be able to look for these dates in at least 2 weeks i will post here if i can get any more info.

PZ