Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike shorts and hygiene

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike shorts and hygiene

Old 07-24-21, 04:23 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

I have baggies with a removable "liner" too. But that liner is pretty much a scant bicycle short, not much different than my old non-bib shorts. I can't see how that would reduce the issue in the OP- still requires the same maintenance / cleaning as any bike shorts. Just buy another pair of bike shorts and wear them under baggies - and that's any baggy shorts, not "bike" shorts - if you like wearing baggies.
I was thinking more of high quality mtb liners with a high quality pad and outer shell. Most of the higher end shorts are 2 piece like this now. The removable liners you are talking about are usually pretty low quality compared to road bib-short pads. The problem with wearing any old baggy shorts is the cut will likely showcase your butt-crack and will probably catch on the nose of your seat for good measure. Decent mtb shorts are cut to avoid both these potential issues and have pockets better positioned on your thighs. The devil is in the detail.

I was assuming the OP isn’t interested in road bib-shorts, which don’t require anything underneath.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-24-21, 04:58 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I'd recommend having at least two pairs, that would give you time to get yesterday's pair washed and dried before you wear them again.
Wild camping means you'll have to get creative to find places to wash your kit. When I do multi-day endurance events, I typically wear my kit right into the shower, hang it up to dry, and it's usually dry enough to wear ( or toss in my bag) by morning.

How much riding you're going to do each day will also make a difference; if you're doing 20-30 miles a day, with lots of stops for sightseeing, or whatever, then regular athletic clothes (including synthetic wicking underwear) would be sufficient. If your day calls for 50-100 miles of hard riding, you'll need proper cycling kit.

Either way, hygiene is key; you want to get out of your kit, and clean and dry as soon as possible. Absent a shower facility, there are washcloth size 'body wipes' usually used for invalid care, that work well if you have to take a 'Tijuana shower'
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 07-24-21, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Two pairs one to wash one to wear. Underwear under the shorts isn't good as it can create additional friction and if the underwear is cotton or non-moisture wicking it can make things a lot worse downstairs. I would also highly recommend baby wipes and keeping that area very clean and as dry as you can. I also recommend using a chamios creme of some sort, I like the Bike Glide from Body Glide as it is easy to use and works well for my taintal area.

If you really can't do a second set of cycling shorts then you really need to clean things often and maybe at the end of each day have fresh undies (ExOfficio Give and Go are really the best choice) and use an extra wipe or two to wipe out the chamois and maybe spray with some alcohol and let it dry. Won't be perfect but it may help kill some bacteria and clean out some sweat. I might also use something to prevent rash downstairs as well in that situation (and if you need it elsewhere) I wouldn't use any powders though especially if you have female genitalia as that can cause problems.

Ironfish653 had useful advice as well (sort of the same) and probably others did also but I kinda glanced through the comments as my neck is hurting and making this harder than normal.
Old 07-24-21, 08:45 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
When not riding a grand tour event, I wear underwear. I also have a kickstand on my bikes (most)
gm
Why would you? The whole idea of the chamois/pad is to not wear underwear. Are you that insecure? And what do you mean by 'grand tour event'? There are only 3 of those and I doubt you're riding them.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-24-21, 09:11 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I've ridden in a pair of bibs for 5 straight days... The jersey smelt much worse.
This. The pits of my jersey smell a lot worse than my shorts.

I'd have no problem wearing one pair of shorts for five days as long as I had something to wear when I'm not on the bike.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-24-21, 10:12 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
It's been universally accepted...forever...that you don't wear anything under cycling shorts with a chamois. Never.
After a half dozen centuries with zero issues I think I’ll stick with my approach. YMMV
Old 07-24-21, 11:19 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Just buy a stack of the cheapest Decathlon bike shorts, they are like 5 euro each and perfectly comfortable. Then carry multiple pairs.
​​​​​​
Trained in those, did 200k rides in them, no frills but perfectly functional stuff, shorts don't have to be 90 Euro to do their job.
Old 07-24-21, 11:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
cyclopath256 , check Amazon in your country to see if some very affordable padded cycling shorts and bibs are available from Przewalski and Cerotipolar. I've worn both, some pairs going on three years now, and they're outstanding values.

There's nothing wrong with wearing snug fitting wicking fabric underwear with cycling shorts. Under Armour, Russell, Ironman and others make excellent quality boxer/briefs from the same Spandex and Lycra fabric used to make cycling shorts and padding. They have no seams in the pressure areas, don't bunch up, no problems at all. These aren't loose fitting boxers but form fitting compression shorts. On the road they'd be easier to clean and quicker to dry, and less bulky, than multiple pairs of padded cycling shorts.

But if you read interviews with some long distance cyclists (including Lachlan Morton, who finished his alt-Tour de France a few days before the official TdF, and rode more distance and elevation), they'll often mention skipping personal hygiene for days at a time and getting pretty stinky. Some folks can get by doing that and not suffer saddle sores. Some can't. Only way to find out is to try it.

But for the price of a package of 3-5 pair of those underwear, you can buy another pair of decent padded cycling shorts or bibs.
Old 07-25-21, 04:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,281 Times in 7,225 Posts
Why would you? The whole idea of the chamois/pad is to not wear underwear. Are you that insecure? And what do you mean by 'grand tour event'? There are only 3 of those and I doubt you're riding them.
He tries to be funny. Emphasis on tries.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-26-21, 07:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
If I tried to ride three days without cleaning one pair of shorts, I'd have saddle sores popping up all under. I'd never make it to the fifth day. (Your bottom may vary.)

What has worked for me: Get at least one more pair of bike shorts, and take something to change into after each day's ride. Wash the shorts out, dry them as best you can (clothes hangers indoors, draped over a rope or tent outside, or bungeed to the top of your rack the next day). If it rains all that time, wring them out as best you can before putting the clean pair on -- if it's still raining, they'll be wet while you're riding!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-26-21, 08:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,281 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If I tried to ride three days without cleaning one pair of shorts, I'd have saddle sores popping up all under. I'd never make it to the fifth day. (Your bottom may vary.)

What has worked for me: Get at least one more pair of bike shorts, and take something to change into after each day's ride. Wash the shorts out, dry them as best you can (clothes hangers indoors, draped over a rope or tent outside, or bungeed to the top of your rack the next day). If it rains all that time, wring them out as best you can before putting the clean pair on -- if it's still raining, they'll be wet while you're riding!
That's what I try to accomplish each day if possible. For washing, I take them in the shower if one is available. Showering/washing the clothes is one of the first things I try to do when I hit camp so I can get the clothes drying as soon a possible, especially if I can take advantage of sun. Tree limbs often make good clothes hangers. Draped over picnic table is sometimes another way to spread them out and get them in the sun so they dry more quickly.
Old 07-26-21, 09:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
DO NOT wear underwear. Substitute several breathable pairs of compression shorts to wear beneath the riding shorts. These will serve dual purposes. First, to create a friction buffer between your skin and your shorts with the added benefit of cleanliness. Second, to provide support to the muscles. Athletes know this. The friction aspect will matter after several consecutive days on the saddle. Cleanliness will be supported as they can be rotated while you wash the day's worn pair. Even two pair of compression shorts would suffice if you could manage to wash them each night.

Underwear? No. Those are for walking around, not for riding.
Old 07-26-21, 03:04 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
DO NOT wear underwear... Those are for walking around, not for riding.
When I first started riding and wearing bike shorts I wore undies because I didn't know better. Eventually I got the memo, tried the new method, and after a short period of adjustment, grew to prefer going commando for comfort and convenience.

There are at least three other cyclists on this thread who seem to prefer wearing undepants underneath their cycling shorts. If their groin looks like uncooked schnitzel as a result, would they not have reported it? If their multitudes of saddle-sores are on the brink of gangrene, why would they keep schtum?

And what has insecurity got to do with it? A person who wears cycling shorts in public has already made the decision to not stress about his/her junk being on display. How does an extra flimsy layer of undergarment change that scenario one way or the other?
Likes For fredlord:
Old 07-26-21, 04:40 PM
PeteHski

I guess a lot depends on what people are calling “cycling shorts” here. If we’re talking fitted skin tight bibs with chamois then those are invariably designed to be worn without underwear. If we’re talking about more casual looser fitting shorts then I guess then there’s room for optional skin tight underwear. Then there are 2-piece MTB style shorts designed to be used with a chamois liner. Again with no additional underwear.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-26-21, 06:24 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
You can also bring a small bottle of Woolite and rinse them out in a sink between uses.
Anyone planning to use woolite should make sure they don't react to it

​​​Personally if I do more than a rare bit of hand washing items in woolite I get red scaly hands that can progress to cracking and bleeding. Not what I'd want in the saddle area. It happens I also react to "shout" - I use products like that but only at home where I can do a normal wash after.

​​​​​​Really I guess the point is to have used whatever you're going to use enough before the big ride to be sure your skin can handle it.

For better or worse I tend to use liquid hand soap (handy as I also often shower and wash my scalp fuzz with it) or my usual machine laundry detergent.

​​
Old 07-26-21, 06:39 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
There’s some nasty recommendation out there! Five or six days in the same clothes is an invitation to the emergency room for major infections and having the locals throw rocks in self defense, please don't listen to that dribble. Buy multiple pairs of jerseys, bibs/shorts and socks and change into clean street clothes as soon as the day ends. Bring a little soap and wash/sanitize your bike clothes before going to bed and hang them up.. Also consider wearing your helmet in the shower to keep it fresh. The trip and the people you meet will appreciate your hygiene. BTtW, save the underwear for the street clothes..

Best wishes
Likes For N2deep:
Old 07-26-21, 07:09 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I've ridden in a pair of bibs for 5 straight days. Probably not the best idea but I was ok with it. The jersey smelt much worse.

I don't really need padding and sometimes nowadays, I use black "crew" rowing shorts. They are tight and black but no pad. I think I paid $10 for two pair online.
disgusting
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-26-21, 08:17 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you buy more shorts, get a pair with a removable liner/chamois. So then you can use the same outer shell with several pairs of liners. A lot of shorts now come as a shell without a liner, which you then buy separately. So you could buy one shell and 2 or 3 liners to rotate.
Do you have a link to a source for such liners?

Thanks and cheers
Old 07-26-21, 09:57 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Thanks and cheers

https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Padded...%2C197&sr=1-10

Old 07-26-21, 10:00 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclopath256
Hi!

I am planning a 5 day bike tour, starting from my doorstep and wild camping on the way. I am using cycling shorts with padding, but only have one pair. Since they are quite expensive where I live (90 Euros in Germany), I hesitate buying another pair. I know that wearing underwear under the shorts is a big no-no in the cycling community, but I have even considered that to increase the level of hygiene on the trip.

Do you take multiple cycling shorts on multi-day bike tours? How do you care for hygiene down there?

Thanks!
Here are some reasonably priced shorts in your country
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/cycl...s?l=24&o=preis
Old 07-26-21, 10:00 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by fredlord
When I first started riding and wearing bike shorts I wore undies because I didn't know better. Eventually I got the memo, tried the new method, and after a short period of adjustment, grew to prefer going commando for comfort and convenience.

There are at least three other cyclists on this thread who seem to prefer wearing undepants underneath their cycling shorts. If their groin looks like uncooked schnitzel as a result, would they not have reported it? If their multitudes of saddle-sores are on the brink of gangrene, why would they keep schtum?

And what has insecurity got to do with it? A person who wears cycling shorts in public has already made the decision to not stress about his/her junk being on display. How does an extra flimsy layer of undergarment change that scenario one way or the other?
Years ago, did Ride Across Washington. It was a supported ride and we had shower trailers with about 5 or 6 stalls. I would wear my cycling shorts in as some have suggested and washed them while showering. But one day, one of the guys asked it we had abrasions and how we avoided them. We asked what he was wearing as he did have cycling shorts. He was wearing a good old fashion canvas jock strap under the shorts for, ahem, support. All of the guys in there groaned and cringed and grabbed their nether regions. Even now, thinking about it, I cringe.
Likes For kahn:
Old 07-26-21, 10:27 PM
dfad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclopath256
Since they are quite expensive where I live (90 Euros in Germany)
You might consider some shorts from Aliexpress (or eBay, they have a lot of Chinese models too). There are plenty below 20 euros. Delivery from China takes 2-5 weeks however.
Or look for Baleaf brand at local online shops as other people mentioned. One of mine is from Baleaf. Not 'haute couture' but very good for the price.
Old 07-26-21, 10:49 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
It's been universally accepted...forever...that you don't wear anything under cycling shorts with a chamois. Never.
Wow, universally?
Chaos ensues
Old 07-27-21, 04:07 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Miele Man

Thanks and cheers
These are among the very best liners:- EDIT (updated link)

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/7me...ion-Brief/U1JP

A more budget quality option:-

https://www.endurasport.com/engineer.../12927006.html

I have both these, but the 7mesh ones are easily the best. I find the Endura ones a bit short in the leg, making them prone to running up, but they do have other longer versions. The 7mesh liners are expensive, but on another level for comfort and cooling. They have a much thinner pad than most, but it is very effective and doesn’t turn into a wet sponge on a long hot ride.

You can wear these under any quality mtb/gravel shell shorts. Lighter the better.

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-27-21 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-27-21, 05:55 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
disgusting
I agree. Long distance self supported racing isn't for the meek.
Likes For GhostRider62:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.