Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

own Jamis Coda Sport, but Do I need another bike for touring Europe for a month?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

own Jamis Coda Sport, but Do I need another bike for touring Europe for a month?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 08:27 AM
shimoyjk

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

Jamis Coda Sport 2012 owner here, and I've been riding a lot.

did short 2~ 3 day trip to Cape Cod, and was fun and fine. (wasn't bring many stuff, so my pannier was pretty empty.)

But one thing I don't like about it is it feels heavy when I ride this on normal road. I want little more speed, and better brake. (tune up serviced every year form lbs)

I'm planning to go to Europe (Netherlands, Swiss, and maybe 2~3 more country for a month). It's going to be pretty chill touring since me and my buddy we want to look around city, but at the same time we're willing to

ride 60~80km a day when we're passing less interesting part of the country

i'll bring tent and sleeping bag as well so I guess what I want to do is light~ medium weight touring.

other than that, I'll be riding this new bike a lot in the city, (brooklyn, queens or manhattan some times, but it gets nasty in the city, so I'd say mostly Brooklyn and Queens).

I'm thinking to upgrade my bike, but my budget is limited to $ 1000.

what options do I have?

currently I'm looking for a Bianchi Volpe (used or lbs carries them on sale now under $1000), Fuji Touring, Jamis Aurora.

what would you recommend?

Should I buy a new bike or keep mine and change brake and saddle and etc...?
Old 09-05-15, 11:07 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Coda Sport has wider gear range than both Volpe or Aurora, no? All 3 are cro-mo frames so I don't think one will be esp lighter to justify buying new bike. AFAIK your Coda is w/flat handlebar: many tourers like flat bars & if you're used to it, why change? Brake upgrade can be pretty cheap, & it's always worthwhile to hunt for the comfiest saddle.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 09-06-15, 01:02 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I snagged an older Coda.

I was impressed by the fairly light double butted chromoly tubing on it.

I'm not big into hybrids, so it will probably eventually get converted into a drop bar gravel/cyclocross bike. I think Jamis did go cheap on a couple of the components, so perhaps evaluate what is good, and what's not, and upgrade a few things like the rear derailleur if it is at all questionable.

I did see a nice Jamis Coda drop bar road bike conversion a week or so ago. There is a lot of flexibility with the frame.

You'll have to decide what kind of roads you'll be riding on. All of my riding in Italy was on old narrow wheel sewups. I'd probably stick with clinchers for now, but if the riding was roads (or even cobbles), I'd choose a fairly narrow, smooth tire.
Old 09-06-15, 02:05 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
It's touring. Going slow is a plus. So is an upright position so you can see around the place. 60-80km is a shortish day, even on a heavily loaded bike except maybe in the mountains.
Brakes: swap out the pads for something decent like Koolstop in a cartridge holder. Seat: Get yourself a sprung leather saddle and break it in or get a good seat and a sprung seatpost. Bars: grab a set of trekking butterfly bars and some padded gel bar tape, use your existing levers. Mudguards: Some Bluemels or similar. Tyres: Some marathon supremes. Job done...
Old 09-08-15, 05:54 PM
shimoyjk

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you who replied!

I guess I'll keep my bike, and change components little bit and go!

first thing I want to change is saddle, and it seems like everybody loves Brooks B-17 saddle. I'll go for it, and brake for 2nd, and others for 3rd...

Can't wait to go on road with this bike, i gotta just keep saving money for next spring either summer.

Thanks Again