Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50 Fixed Gear Riders

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Over 50 Fixed Gear Riders

Old 07-18-19, 04:48 PM
  #1  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Over 50 Fixed Gear Riders

Hello to all fellow cyclists! Are there any other fixed gear street riders out there? I started riding fixed gear bikes for fun at 56, and now at 59 still riding pure adrenaline pumping fun.
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-18-19, 05:17 PM
  #2  
Bandera
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,932
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 112 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
This is my 51st season riding fixed gear on the road, a traditional activity for club cyclists for the last century or so.
The SS/FG, C&V and Long Distance BF sub-forums have active FG riders of the >50 age cadre as well.

-Bandera
Bandera is offline  
Old 07-18-19, 06:16 PM
  #3  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 22,865

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 873 Posts
I'm 64 and still ride fixed gear on the road frequently. Here I am a couple years ago finished a century ride on my fixed gear bike:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ride4nature.jpg (73.0 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 04-23-21 at 06:43 AM.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-19-19, 07:32 AM
  #4  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 793 Posts
54 years old here. I recently picked up this pre-owned Schwinn. It's a cruiser type single speed in great condition and will be modded soon to suit me better.

FiftySix is offline  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-19-19, 07:53 AM
  #5  
BigAura
 
BigAura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chapin, SC
Posts: 3,423

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Twelve years ago I converted my ParisSport 10-speed, that I originally purchased in 1970, to a fixed year. I'm 66 now and it's still my go-to bike for pure riding enjoyment.


Last edited by BigAura; 07-19-19 at 07:57 AM.
BigAura is offline  
Likes For BigAura:
Old 07-19-19, 09:12 AM
  #6  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6837 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 447 Posts
Hello @1AvidCyclistCat.

I ride a Rodriguez custom on the road and have done centuries on it. I started at 51 with a Bianchi Pista and I'm now 55.

TimothyH is offline  
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-19-19, 10:04 AM
  #7  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 7,397

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 496 Posts
I started riding fixed about 4 years ago. Now at 58, I enjoy it enough that I have 3 FG bikes.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 10:10 AM
  #8  
davester
Senior Member
 
davester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 2,046

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 201 Posts
Hmmm. One end of my street has an 18% grade and the other end has about a 15% grade. Most any ride I take will also have mile long stretches of around 6% to 8%. This and my 65 years sort of rules out the concept of fixed gear for me.
davester is offline  
Likes For davester:
Old 07-19-19, 10:57 AM
  #9  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,672

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 1,589 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Welcome to the forum.
This is my 51st season riding fixed gear on the road, a traditional activity for club cyclists for the last century or so.
The SS/FG, C&V and Long Distance BF sub-forums have active FG riders of the >50 age cadre as well.

-Bandera
Humbling. I'm just a newcomer. Didn't ride my first one until 1976. But I was sold that first ride, have had one ever since and done more than half my lifetime miles fixed. And yeah, I started my first season of racing when the club vets told me i needed to set my second bike up fixed to learn to pedal smoothly. Thank you! my Mooney is a (rather differently geared) very traditional English road fix gear and wonderful! My TiCycles is what we might have raced in the '80s as a top of the line road bike in a fictional world where gears never happened. If I were to put light sewups on, that bike would be pure race.


Fix gear bikes:

~1983 Trek 400 set up with an enormous stem, centerpull brakes, fenders, LowRider rack and a U-lock mount. Winter/rain/city bike. The bike I will always have. All parts, including frame, subject to wear, crashes and replacement. 28c Paselas. The Trek is about to roll 20,000 miles, all fixed. ~75,000 with all five frames it's been through.

2011 TiCycles ti fix gear with custom super long dropout (yes, not track ends), fenders as appropriate and two brake/"cockpit"s. Dual pivots, deep, wide pista bars and V-brake levers for the climbing setup and traditional Nitto road bars with regular levers and Superbe sidepulls for flat rides. 5 minutes to swap. Tires to 25c. Bigger at the expense of the biggest (23 and 24 tooth) cogs. Can run all cogs, 12 to 24 on one length chain. 17,000 miles. Never seen a freewheel.

And in part time fix gear use, my Mooney running a triple in front with super low Q-factor and 1/8" rings. In back a single or double cog on one side, a single on the other so I can run either a true mountain fix gear (95", 70" and 46" with the option of going to a 41" if I carry a chainwhip) or simple fix-fix two speed for the flat, say 72" and 67". Brakes of course and fenders as appropriate. Tires to 35c. Part time fix gear use because this bike is also the one I will take for serious gravel or touring. A newbie. Only 3200 miles fixed.

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 11:04 AM
  #10  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,672

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 1,589 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 1AvidCyclistCat View Post
Hello to all fellow cyclists! Are there any other fixed gear street riders out there? I started riding fixed gear bikes for fun at 56, and now at 59 still riding pure adrenaline pumping fun.
At 59 I rode my brand new TiCycles fix gear at Cycle Oregon to, around Crater Lake and down. And the wonderful descent down Dead Indian Memorial Highway into Ashland. 42-12 for 16 miles!

I might ride CO this year on the same bike. We'll see, I am now 66, I do have a bigger cog, a 24 instead of a 23 but is that difference enough? I could ride it on the Mooney and drop that low gear a bunch. (My knees get the final word.)

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 12:26 PM
  #11  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,333

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,132 Posts
I have had fixed gears off and on for many years. I built this one up from a Nashbar frame, a Bianchi fork I found on eBay, and some spare parts from the bin.

Great for commuting, LSD training, and just riding around.

caloso is offline  
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-19-19, 07:39 PM
  #12  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Riding Fixies after 50

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
At 59 I rode my brand new TiCycles fix gear at Cycle Oregon to, around Crater Lake and down. And the wonderful descent down Dead Indian Memorial Highway into Ashland. 42-12 for 16 miles!

I might ride CO this year on the same bike. We'll see, I am now 66, I do have a bigger cog, a 24 instead of a 23 but is that difference enough? I could ride it on the Mooney and drop that low gear a bunch. (My knees get the final word.)

Ben
Thatís very impressive, dear Ben. Wow. I wish for building more velodromes, and riding the pista bike unrestrained by no cars. I ride 42-16 with Vuelta alloy wheels from BikeNashbar. For the regular streets I use my 1980 Gios Torino Super Record transformed into a fixie but keeping the Campagnolo Nuovo Record front rear caliper brakes. I will post pictures once I am allowed...

Last edited by 1AvidCyclistCat; 07-19-19 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Error in grammar.
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 07:48 PM
  #13  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Wow cool

Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Welcome to the forum.
This is my 51st season riding fixed gear on the road, a traditional activity for club cyclists for the last century or so.
The SS/FG, C&V and Long Distance BF sub-forums have active FG riders of the >50 age cadre as well.

-Bandera
Impressive indeed, Bandera. Inspiring! My older neighbors over 60 think Iím a nut...I agree, Iím a happy VELONAUT😇
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 07:52 PM
  #14  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thank you kindly!

Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Welcome to the forum.
This is my 51st season riding fixed gear on the road, a traditional activity for club cyclists for the last century or so.
The SS/FG, C&V and Long Distance BF sub-forums have active FG riders of the >50 age cadre as well.

-Bandera
Impressive inspiring Bandera!
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 07:58 PM
  #15  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Nice obsession.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
I started riding fixed about 4 years ago. Now at 58, I enjoy it enough that I have 3 FG bikes.
I have x2 FGB, itís so wonderfully addicting...he he. Itís the most pure form of riding a bike and always peddling without coasting breaks like regular bikes.
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 08:00 PM
  #16  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by davester View Post
Hmmm. One end of my street has an 18% grade and the other end has about a 15% grade. Most any ride I take will also have mile long stretches of around 6% to 8%. This and my 65 years sort of rules out the concept of fixed gear for me.
I feel your pain...With the right gear ratio you may be able to do it.
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 08:02 PM
  #17  
Bandera
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,932
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 1AvidCyclistCat View Post
Impressive inspiring Bandera!
Thanks, but not really it was just SOP for club riders to strip off the derail drive train and convert to FG for winter base miles "back when".
My 1st coach who had raced on the board tracks pre-(edit) WWII continued to ride FG into his '80's with style, that was impressive and he was inspiring.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 07-21-19 at 11:05 AM.
Bandera is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 11:53 PM
  #18  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,672

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 1,589 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Thanks, but not really it was just SOP for club riders to strip off the derail drive train and convert to FG for winter base miles "back when".
My 1st coach who had raced on the board tracks pre-WWI continued to ride FG into his '80's with style, that was impressive and he was inspiring.

-Bandera
Do you remember/ever have contact with John Allis? (1968 Olympic Pursuit team at Mexico City and raced road in Europe ~1970.) He was the guru of bike racing around Boston in the '70s. Huge proponent and example of winter fix gear riding. Might still be doing it.

Bandera, I met the first woman National Champion (1937) at a bike show in Seattle in the '90s. She had a booth with photos and her bike, custom built by her dad, a retired pro. She gave me a postcard of her on her bike between the two men's champions, all balancing, her arms on their shoulders. That bike fit her! Obvious in the photo, obvious seeing her next to it.

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 07-20-19, 05:06 AM
  #19  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,502

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 170 Posts
thehammerdog is offline  
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 07-20-19, 06:30 AM
  #20  
Bandera
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,932
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Do you remember/ever have contact with John Allis?
Sure, the CRC of A aka "The Raleigh Boys" won multiple US road championships by John Allis ('74), John Howard ('68,'72,'73,'75). They were is a class by themselves at the time w/ only the Stetina brothers able to challenge and beat them with Wayne ('76, '77) and Dale ('78,'80) winning Nat'ls. I have lined up behind them, but it was as usual two different races taking place at the same time on the same course: Them, and then a long way back Us.

When I started racing my coach was dismissive of road events as a boring defensive parade settled as always by the sprint.
To him Real racing was on the track, fast technical and exciting.
When Eddie B was appointed US Nat'l coach in '77 supported by Dr. Ed Burke the insular post war US racing scene was shaken awake, but one thing didn't change.

"A fixed gear helps develop a nice 360 degree pedal stroke.....this means you can get the same benefit for less time in miserable conditions."

-Bicycle Road Racing by Edward Borysewicz

Last edited by Bandera; 07-20-19 at 09:15 AM.
Bandera is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 09:03 AM
  #21  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Priceless memory

Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Thanks, but not really it was just SOP for club riders to strip off the derail drive train and convert to FG for winter base miles "back when".
My 1st coach who had raced on the board tracks pre-WWI continued to ride FG into his '80's with style, that was impressive and he was inspiring.

-Bandera
Oh man, thatís so wonderful, to speak and getting advice from a track FG pre WW1: epic 🏆
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 09:04 AM
  #22  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Wow

Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Do you remember/ever have contact with John Allis? (1968 Olympic Pursuit team at Mexico City and raced road in Europe ~1970.) He was the guru of bike racing around Boston in the '70s. Huge proponent and example of winter fix gear riding. Might still be doing it.

Bandera, I met the first woman National Champion (1937) at a bike show in Seattle in the '90s. She had a booth with photos and her bike, custom built by her dad, a retired pro. She gave me a postcard of her on her bike between the two men's champions, all balancing, her arms on their shoulders. That bike fit her! Obvious in the photo, obvious seeing her next to it.

Ben
Man...living the dream.
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 09:08 AM
  #23  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Sweet ride Bianchi Nashbar hybrid build

Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I have had fixed gears off and on for many years. I built this one up from a Nashbar frame, a Bianchi fork I found on eBay, and some spare parts from the bin.
Congrats.
Great for commuting, LSD training, and just riding around.
I most certainly agree. The FGB ride transforms any bike up to another level rewarding experience.
I like this fixie.
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Likes For 1AvidCyclistCat:
Old 07-21-19, 09:15 AM
  #24  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Touchť true

Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Sure, the CRC of A aka "The Raleigh Boys" won multiple US road championships by John Allis ('74), John Howard ('68,'72,'73,'75). They were is a class by themselves at the time w/ only the Stetina brothers able to challenge and beat them with Wayne ('76, '77) and Dale ('78,'80) winning Nat'ls. I have lined up behind them, but it was as usual two different races taking place at the same time on the same course: Them, and then a long way back Us.

When I started racing my coach was dismissive of road events as a boring defensive parade settled as always by the sprint.
To him Real racing was on the track, fast technical and exciting.
When Eddie B was appointed US Nat'l coach in '77 supported by Dr. Ed Burke the insular post war US racing scene was shaken awake, but one thing didn't change.

"A fixed gear helps develop a nice 360 degree pedal stroke.....this means you can get the same benefit for less time in miserable conditions."

-Bicycle Road Racing by Edward Borysewicz
I am a witness of this true fact.
1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 09:28 AM
  #25  
1AvidCyclistCat
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Gios Torino Super Record circa 1980

Originally Posted by 1AvidCyclistCat View Post
Hello to all fellow cyclists! Are there any other fixed gear street riders out there? I started riding fixed gear bikes for fun at 56, and now at 59 still riding pure adrenaline pumping fun.


1AvidCyclistCat is offline  
Likes For 1AvidCyclistCat:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.