Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Used Fuji Feather or Shogun 400?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 04:13 PM
lcdel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Used Fuji Feather or Shogun 400?

Hi all! I'm trying to buy a used bike in Boston for general fitness on paths and commuting in the city, especially now that public transportation is a no-go. I'm really inexperienced with bikes and have only ever ridden a flat bar hybrid, and I'd like to dip my toes into a road bikes or single speed to see what I'd want to invest in for a nicer bike in the future. Used bikes are pretty expensive here, though, so I'm having trouble finding something light, my size (5'6 F), and around $250 but not rust-covered.

I found this Fuji Feather on Marketplace and it looks like it's in really nice condition--I could try to talk them down from $400.
There is also a Shogun 400 that looks older but is a lot cheaper, and the free delivery is really tempting with the COVID situation too (That might be too risky, though).

Is either of these a decent brand? Do the prices sound fair?
I can wait it out for a couple of weeks and stay on the lookout if these are both bad options. Thanks for any help!
Old 04-09-20, 07:40 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I thought that Feathers were lightweight single speed track bikes. So, you may have a problem going up any steep hills. (unless you're 16 years old & weigh 115lbs.) The Shogun 400 is near the other end of the bicycle spectrum. A sturdy heavier durable bike that would be well suited for loaded touring. Personally for me, I'd go for the Shogun. Just make sure the wheels & tires are in top notch shape.
Old 04-10-20, 08:25 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I like the Shogun, but it is 27" tires.
Old 04-10-20, 09:02 AM
lcdel

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I like the Shogun, but it is 27" tires.
Is that too big for me/the bike? I don’t know too much about tire size.
Old 04-10-20, 10:28 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I would go for the Shogun, having different gear selections is better than not having them. Yes it has 27" wheels but Panaracer still makes a good 27" tire.

They are both good brands and I think for Boston the price looks OK.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-10-20, 10:40 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by lcdel
Is that too big for me/the bike? I don’t know too much about tire size.
Looks like a good size.
Old 04-10-20, 08:14 PM
lcdel

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If I can throw one more in the ring, this Cannondale R600 just popped up on the market: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...105995974.html
Old 04-11-20, 04:09 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-11-20, 05:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I like the Shogun, but, I am partial to steel framed bikes. For you, with the lack of experience, the drawback to that bike is the downtube shifters and fewer gears. The above Cannondale is a good option, more modern components. It should be a good, smooth ride. Also, it looks like it has clearance for wider tires. 28mm width tires, at least 25mm, is a good target point. I think you would do better with a bike with gear choices, opposed to a single speed. In addition to height, your leg inseam length is a big factor in fit. You definitely want something that fits you correctly, Both bikes look to be a good price for what they are. Try not to be in a hurry and to not settle for something just because it is available or has a good price. Just my opinion
Old 04-11-20, 06:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Do any of them fit you? Remember, you don't need to be able to put your feet down while your behind is in the saddle (in fact, if you can, it's probably too small). Based on the stem, I'd guess the Cannondale was a bit small for it's previous owner. Unless that's a technomic stem, I'd be concerned it's out past it's insertion length.
Old 04-12-20, 04:40 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
The Shogun 400 must have been a very successful model. I've seen at least a dozen of these for sale over the last few years. Usually around $200 or higher. Shogun built good quality & value bicycles back then. (It's interesting that after all these years that the Shogun brand name still appears on brand new bicycles). Most or the older 80's model Shoguns were made in Japan. (But, it became too expensive to build them in Japan after around 1990 and, off to Taiwan. Giant factories & robots). The bike in the OP is a high quality item that would compare to some pretty expensive modern stuff.
Old 04-12-20, 09:21 PM
lcdel

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
The bike in the OP is a high quality item that would compare to some pretty expensive modern stuff.
So, unfortunately I only saw this after I pulled the trigger on a different bike that I tried which someone pointed out to me! It’s a 2012 Masi CX Uno that was $250 + a lot of extras thrown in (repair kits, bags, multitools, pump). I hope this was still a good buy! Here’s a photo, not my usual color but it’s really growing on me.

Likes For lcdel: