Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot bike identification and rebuild

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 01:19 PM
yomandude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

I was given an old peugeot bike (could be 80's or 90's, maybe older) and it is missing the rear derailleur and some other parts before I get it working.

Could you help me identify my bike so I can find the correct parts for it?

The Serial number on the rear stays that I found is Y702 15688, it doesn't seem to match any peugeot serials I have found on the internets.

I would like to post some pictures, but the forum won't let me since I'm new.
Old 05-15-20, 01:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

you shall be able to determine the model and year of your example by browsing the catalogues posted here -

bikeboompeugeot.com

-----
Old 05-15-20, 01:52 PM
yomandude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info, but there are A LOT of brochures on there... any tricks into narrowin it down?

It has some Mafac brakes... but other than that I cannot find any other names or clues on the bike.
Old 05-15-20, 02:02 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
The last three paragraphs of this page should have a clue: https://mrvelo.weebly.com/peugeot.html

I would start with the 1987 catalog and see if your bike matches any pictures.
Old 05-15-20, 02:07 PM
yomandude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How accurate can the decals be?

based on them, it would be a late 70s AO8 (on bikedecals .net) White lettering with red white blue accents on each side, gold/black on the fork and top tube. The tube decal is also the same.

it looks very much like the USA 1977 AO8 brochure from bikeboompeugeot but blue
Old 05-15-20, 02:19 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by yomandude
How accurate can the decals be?

based on them, it would be a late 70s AO8 (on bikedecals .net) White lettering with red white blue accents on each side, gold/black on the fork and top tube. The tube decal is also the same.

it looks very much like the USA 1977 AO8 brochure from bikeboompeugeot but blue
The easiest way to ID is through pics, though it sounds like you have a pretty good match. Once you post ten times (7 more to go!), you can post pictures. Just go to some other threads to introduce yourself or comment on others' bikes and you'll meet that in no time.
Old 05-15-20, 04:32 PM
yomandude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And how would I go about and find a rear derailleur for this bike? I have no idea how the compatibility goes on those things...
Old 05-15-20, 04:43 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Why do you need a new derailleur?
Old 05-15-20, 05:06 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
If the bike is a UO8, you might want to check the front derailleur also. If it is Simplex, there is a better than fifty-fifty chance that it is cracked and/or broken, as is the case on this recently acquired Carlton...
Old 05-15-20, 08:03 PM
agnewton

Bikes: Peugeot UO-10, '78; Fuji Sp.RR, '73, mixte '75

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by yomandude
And how would I go about and find a rear derailleur for this bike? I have no idea how the compatibility goes on those things...
If you've got a late '70s Peugeot UO8, then you probably have pressed rear dropouts with no integrated derailleur hanger. You'll need to buy a rear derailleur and a hanger. You can buy a hanger cheap (SunRace Hanger Plate) and an appropriate rear derailleur of your choice. Not all old derailleurs are compatible with the hanger in the link (there were some French ones that had proprietary hangers and maybe others manufacturers). If you still have the stem shifters and want to use them, then friction shifting is what you'll have. There are plenty of 70's Suntour rear derailleurs that will work with the hanger in the link as well as some modern rear derailleurs (though modern derailleurs will only work as friction derailleurs with the original, non-indexed shifters). eBay is a source for vintage derailleurs. Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-20, 08:21 PM
agnewton

Bikes: Peugeot UO-10, '78; Fuji Sp.RR, '73, mixte '75

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
One last thing and I may be stating the obvious. But your new bike is French. Everything about it is a little different. Seat tube diameter, threading, bottom brackets, headsets, etc. That's not going to effect the rear derailleur too much, but it will impact the front derailleur if you need to replace it. The idiosyncrasies of french bikes are described very well here: Sheldon Brown's French Bikes. Proceed cautiously and don't strip any of the french threaded nuts and bolts.
Old 05-15-20, 09:04 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
The easiest way to ID is through pics, though it sounds like you have a pretty good match. Once you post ten times (7 more to go!), you can post pictures. Just go to some other threads to introduce yourself or comment on others' bikes and you'll meet that in no time.
The largest "field mark" (a term from birdwatching for quick identification) of an AO-8 vs. a UO-8 is the front fork blades. It the front fork ends are chrome it is a UO-8, if painted, it is an AO-8 (or other less common variant)

For a modern, but vintage looking rear derailleur, try this: A Sunrace RD-M10 https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...r-rear-kls-lkn. It is currently out of stock at Rivendell. They have them on AMazon, but make sure if buying online that it includes the rear deraiilleur hanger, but it should work with an older Japanese hanger...

My UO-8 came with a Simplex Prestige RD which was upgraded by the bike shop at purchase to a Suntour GT (steel) and later to a Suntour V (alloy) as they shifted far, far better than a Simplex.

French bikes are fun, but French stems and seatposts are not common if you decide to change bars I still ride my blue UO-8 when I want a retro-back to the roots day.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 05-15-20 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-16-20, 05:26 AM
yomandude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Why do you need a new derailleur?
there is none on the bike right now, the cassette is also a bit rusty, but probably salvageable.
Old 05-16-20, 06:32 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a 1977 Peugeot A08, with modifications. Based on the minor frame variations, it appears to be a foreign market model, possibly Canadian.
Old 05-16-20, 01:43 PM
yomandude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is a 1977 Peugeot A08, with modifications. Based on the minor frame variations, it appears to be a foreign market model, possibly Canadian.
Fid you find this with the serial number? It sounds bang on! I am in Canada too!
Old 05-16-20, 02:14 PM
yomandude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
The largest "field mark" (a term from birdwatching for quick identification) of an AO-8 vs. a UO-8 is the front fork blades. It the front fork ends are chrome it is a UO-8, if painted, it is an AO-8 (or other less common variant)

For a modern, but vintage looking rear derailleur, try It is currently out of stock at Rivendell. They have them on AMazon, but make sure if buying online that it includes the rear deraiilleur hanger, but it should work with an older Japanese hanger...

My UO-8 came with a Simplex Prestige RD which was upgraded by the bike shop at purchase to a Suntour GT (steel) and later to a Suntour V (alloy) as they shifted far, far better than a Simplex.

French bikes are fun, but French stems and seatposts are not common if you decide to change bars I still ride my blue UO-8 when I want a retro-back to the roots day.

Thank you so much for all the info! I don't mind the old school or modern look, it is mostly a budget driven rebuild. I like the downtube friction shifter, I like the low maintenance factor. Looks like I have a Simplex front derailleur and it's probably the original one so I will replace that too!

The wheels on them are probably not original. They seem to be aluminium alloy. They are in good shape.