Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Very hard rear deraileur shifting

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 10-25-20, 12:41 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts

I just bought a very cheap folding bike for my wife to try as an experiment. It has two deraillers and two shifters (obv). The shifters are the motorcycle style index shifters. The rear derailler shifter is really, really hard to shift. I've never had one that hard. Where do I start looking for the problem? (Since it's a folder the shift cable is longer than most cables, so maybe that's it; but on my Bike Friday--a different bike--it's about that long but nowhere near the tension.) I'm just looking for hints on where to start looking. I just brought it home and haven't lifted a wrench yet.
Old 10-25-20, 01:31 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Possible drag on the cable somewhere in the housing? Disconnect the cable from the Dr and shift it again, see if it is easy or still hard.
Old 10-25-20, 03:52 PM
Elbeinlaw

3Speed

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Possible drag on the cable somewhere in the housing? Disconnect the cable from the Dr and shift it again, see if it is easy or still hard.
Great idea. I'll try it. If thats not it, what's next? I guess lube the shifter and the RD and after that see if there's a tension adjustment in the RD?
Old 10-25-20, 04:01 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Definitely move the dr over the cogs with your hand while pedaling the crank. See if it is hard to move. Lube the pin points on the dr too. Your shifter(thumb) I know some will be harder to move if they are tightened down to much. Suntour is that way.
Old 10-26-20, 10:40 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My Downtube's Shimano Revoshifter is three years old, and I've put 1500 miles on it this year. It got stuck. With no cable tension, it clicked freely, but I couldn't turn it past two gears under tension, even with a channel lock pliers. I injured my right thumb, probably carpal tunnel, in September trying to shift it. I replaced the cable first. Then I tried a different derailleur. It was the shifter in my case.

I tried a old indexed lever shifter and it worked fine, so I ordered a Altus trigger shifter. All is well now, except I have to press the lever with my palm to go to the bigger gears because of the thumb injury.
Old 11-01-20, 06:21 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
I just bought a very cheap folding bike for my wife to try as an experiment. It has two deraillers and two shifters (obv). The shifters are the motorcycle style index shifters. The rear derailler shifter is really, really hard to shift. I've never had one that hard. Where do I start looking for the problem? (Since it's a folder the shift cable is longer than most cables, so maybe that's it; but on my Bike Friday--a different bike--it's about that long but nowhere near the tension.) I'm just looking for hints on where to start looking. I just brought it home and haven't lifted a wrench yet.
Those cheap twist shifters don't last over time.
I just replaced my wife's Downtube with a cheap trigger shifter. Part was $13 from Treefort and came with cable.
Old 11-03-20, 05:40 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Yeah, I only got 12 years from mine
Old 11-04-20, 04:02 PM
Elbeinlaw

3speedslow: You got it! I tried moving it with my hand. Then I tried liberally applying WD40 to every available point on the whole drive train. IMMEASURABLY easier shifting. I'm going to replace the whole cable run and the housing this weekend. In the process, I disassemble the other pieces of the shifting system and clean and lube them.
Likes For Elbeinlaw: