Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 Bluetooth question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Di2 Bluetooth question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 10:30 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Di2 Bluetooth question

I've got a basic Di2 Ultegra set up that's working quite nicely, but I'd like to add BT connectivity so it can be paired with my phone and Edge 1030. I've got the required EW-WU111 module, but I'm not sure about where it can be placed in the wiring. Would it work properly connected to the wire that goes from my "B" junction box to the to the battery mounted in my seat mast? Thanks.
Old 10-29-20, 10:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
https://bettershifting.com/wireless-...uide-ew-wu111/

Will that do?
Old 10-29-20, 10:35 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
It will work anywhere you can put it inline. I have mine right under my stem.
Old 10-29-20, 01:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3232 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
I've got a basic Di2 Ultegra set up that's working quite nicely, but I'd like to add BT connectivity so it can be paired with my phone and Edge 1030. I've got the required EW-WU111 module, but I'm not sure about where it can be placed in the wiring. Would it work properly connected to the wire that goes from my "B" junction box to the to the battery mounted in my seat mast? Thanks.
Yes and that's a good spot for it, keeps it out of the way. You'll need a short 15mm E-Tube cable, break the connection to the battery, put that wire into the WU111, then the short wire from the BT unit to the battery. Maybe wrap a bit of foam around the BT unit to keep it from rattling.
Old 10-29-20, 01:44 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes and that's a good spot for it, keeps it out of the way. You'll need a short 15mm E-Tube cable, break the connection to the battery, put that wire into the WU111, then the short wire from the BT unit to the battery. Maybe wrap a bit of foam around the BT unit to keep it from rattling.
Thanks! I've got the WU111 in hand and the 150mm cable is due to show up today. If I understand the manual correctly, when the mobile E-Tube app first connects to the system, it'll try to update the firmware before doing anything else. I've also heard reports of the update breaking the system. So I'm a bit worried about adding this piece of functionality.
Old 10-29-20, 04:45 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3232 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Thanks! I've got the WU111 in hand and the 150mm cable is due to show up today. If I understand the manual correctly, when the mobile E-Tube app first connects to the system, it'll try to update the firmware before doing anything else. I've also heard reports of the update breaking the system. So I'm a bit worried about adding this piece of functionality.
It will only update from a mobile or PC connection to E-Tube software. It might work out of the box, so I’d try to pair it with the Garmin first. There had been issues with the mobile E-Tube app updating the WU111 unit, which then and in the process of being updated, would subsequently dump the BT connection to the app, and brick the system. I think Shimano fixed this as they’ve been pushing the use of the mobile app. There are as well reports of issues using the latest E-Tube version 4.0.2 with a USB connection to a PC. I think I’d trust the mobile app currently.

EDIT: My notes from last April installing an XT Di2 system was that the BT unit on that system, which is the h-bar mounted gear indicator/charging port/BT connection/A Junction, is that the BT would not update via a PC connection, it would only update via the app on my tablet. I expected a bricked system, but it worked.

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-29-20 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-29-20, 05:05 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by Steve B.
It will only update from a mobile or PC connection to E-Tube software. It might work out of the box, so I’d try to pair it with the Garmin first. There had been issues with the mobile E-Tube app updating the WU111 unit, which then and in the process of being updated, would subsequently dump the BT connection to the app, and brick the system. I think Shimano fixed this as they’ve been pushing the use of the mobile app. There are as well reports of issues using the latest E-Tube version 4.0.2 with a USB connection to a PC. I think I’d trust the mobile app currently.
Thanks for all the info. I have successfully connected to the Di2 firmware using the E-Tube app , V 3.4.5 for windows via a USB port. I believe it did some sort of update to the system the first time I did so. Not sure exactly what got updated, but it correctly identifies the system components. I did try a "check for updates' which came back with an all up to date response. Oh, and I did get the latest E-Tube Project s/w for my phone. So... I'm still waiting for the big brown truck to drop off my cable. Once that happens, I'll get the WU111 installed, and try my luck with the mobile app. I'll see how it goes and report back. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-29-20, 06:31 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Stick with V 3.4.5 Windows until they get the bugs worked out of 4.x.
Likes For August West:
Old 10-30-20, 10:08 AM
bmcer

I finally received the short Di2 cable I needed to install the WU111 yesterday afternoon, and the installation itself was a piece of cake. Put it inline between the B junction and the battery. Loaded the E-Tube mobile app on my phone and went thru the initial registration. It connected to my Di2 system without issue. It reported that all firmware was up to date. All the configuration screens worked as advertised, but I chose to leave well enough alone for now. My Garmin Edge 1030 recognized the Di2 system immediately so I added it to my sensors and set up the screens to display drive train data.

Long story short, everything worked without issue and the whole process was straight forward and easier than anticipated.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 10-30-20, 01:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I finally received the short Di2 cable I needed to install the WU111 yesterday afternoon, and the installation itself was a piece of cake. Put it inline between the B junction and the battery. Loaded the E-Tube mobile app on my phone and went thru the initial registration. It connected to my Di2 system without issue. It reported that all firmware was up to date. All the configuration screens worked as advertised, but I chose to leave well enough alone for now. My Garmin Edge 1030 recognized the Di2 system immediately so I added it to my sensors and set up the screens to display drive train data.

Long story short, everything worked without issue and the whole process was straight forward and easier than anticipated.
Great! I think the BT feature is a "must have" if you are running Di2. Costs so little, weighs nothing, and gives some nice functionality.
Old 10-30-20, 02:48 PM
bmcer

Originally Posted by Koyote
Great! I think the BT feature is a "must have" if you are running Di2. Costs so little, weighs nothing, and gives some nice functionality.
I agree but since I have a Campy EPS system (V3) on my other road bike, I can't help but make some comparisons. The first difference I noted was the Di2 hardware shifts faster and quieter than it's EPS equivalent. The tactile feedback from the EPS shifers feels better to me, but it's not all that noticeable. The Ultegra gear seems also to run quieter too, but that atributed to it's realtively low mileage. I was somewhat dissappointed that the Di2 stuff needed extra hardware and a "fiddley" software set up to allow BT connectivity. The EPS V3 has that capability straight out of the box, and it's pretty tranparent to the user.

Now that I have it all together, I'd have to say I like the Di2 set up just a bit better than EPS. Clearly that's a subjective judgement, but it is based on first hand experience with both systems side by side. As always YMMV.
Old 10-30-20, 02:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I agree but since I have a Campy EPS system (V3) on my other road bike, I can't help but make some comparisons. The first difference I noted was the Di2 hardware shifts faster and quieter than it's EPS equivalent. The tactile feedback from the EPS shifers feels better to me, but it's not all that noticeable. The Ultegra gear seems also to run quieter too, but that atributed to it's realtively low mileage. I was somewhat dissappointed that the Di2 stuff needed extra hardware and a "fiddley" software set up to allow BT connectivity. The EPS V3 has that capability straight out of the box, and it's pretty tranparent to the user.

Now that I have it all together, I'd have to say I like the Di2 set up just a bit better than EPS. Clearly that's a subjective judgement, but it is based on first hand experience with both systems side by side. As always YMMV.
As a Di2 user, I am heartened by your opinion!
Old 10-30-20, 03:04 PM
bmcer

Well, it is just an opinion, after all. An informed one, I think, but without empiric data. The main reason I jumped ship was to take advantage of Shimano's lower gearing possibilities. There's no path to anything lower than a 34-29 in the Campy Record line, and my knees aren't getting any younger, and the stock 34-32 combo available in the Ultegra line is much more appropriate for geriatric knees in the narrow end of the Rogue River valley where going in almost any direction means some significant climbing. The electronics are really just the frosting on the cake.