Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano 600 Hubs vs Late 80s Sansin Hubs

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-09-21, 07:41 PM
runninupthathil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hey y'all

Just got a deal on two 80s aluminum treks. A 1000 and an 1100. The 1000 came with Shimano 600 hubs laced to Matrix Titan rims. The 1100 came with Sansin hubs laced to Matrix Titan II rims.

Obviously I'm guessing the 1100 is a little newer, with the Titan II. The bike is a little heavier and the tube width is a bit larger.

Wondering if this is just a tomāto vs tomato situation. But I'm wondering if one of these wheel sets is significantly superior to the other.

I was initially drawn to the 600 set, but then I read good things about old Sansin hubs. So now I'm kind of on the fence.

Any input would appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-09-21, 08:13 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I like them both. I can be of no further assistance though. :-)

Old 01-09-21, 08:31 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i have some wheels that are probably just like the sansin/matrix set you have. and, i have a friend with 600 hubs....though they're freehub. at any rate, i've not noticed any real difference in functionality. my sansin's spin quite nicely and remain well sealed after a lot of years
Old 01-09-21, 08:44 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Just bought a set of NOS sansin hubs, freewheel, to build a better set of wheels for my daughter's favorite bike. Although they're a little heavier then expected which shouldn't be surprising, the ones I bought are bolt-on, they are very smooth and with the cartridge bearings they should be easy to refresh for like new performance.
Old 01-09-21, 09:17 PM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
so basically tomāto/tomato im guessing
Old 01-09-21, 09:17 PM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I like them both. I can be of no further assistance though. :-)
lol thank you. kinda expected this
Old 01-09-21, 09:20 PM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Just bought a set of NOS sansin hubs, freewheel, to build a better set of wheels for my daughter's favorite bike. Although they're a little heavier then expected which shouldn't be surprising, the ones I bought are bolt-on, they are very smooth and with the cartridge bearings they should be easy to refresh for like new performance.
ahhh that might make sense as to why the 1100 is a bit heavier. couldn't really figure out why that would be. trying to decide which bike to keep at the moment and having a tough time choosing lol
Old 01-09-21, 09:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I have both. The Shimano 600 are better.

So far the only C&V hubs I've ridden that rival the Shimano 600 for both quality and value are the Mavic hubs on a wheelset I recently got from another BF member.

My Sansin hubs (not sure of the model) are comparable to the Suntour GPX hubs from my Ironman. They're good but not great. I wouldn't go out of my way to use either set of hubs to build new wheels around. I'll save 'em for indoor trainer sessions.

The Shimano 600 hubs that came with another model Ironman (Master or Carbon, not sure which) and Wolber Super Champion Alpine rims are a notch above in buttery smoothness and build quality. They're comparable to the more recent Ultegra hubs on a borrowed wheelset. The Mavic hubs appear to be equal to those 600 and Ultegra hubs, although the Mavic design is a bit quirky and I'm not sure about tools to disassemble and service it.

Last edited by canklecat; 01-09-21 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-09-21, 09:54 PM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
I have both. The Shimano 600 are better.
That's what i was leaning towards thinking. Maybe lace the 600s to the Matrix IIs? Those rims are in a bit better condition. Or maybe just leave the on the og Matrix that are a little beat? Thanks for the input
Old 01-09-21, 10:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I had a set of 600 hub laced to some Mavic box rims for many years. I just sold them about 4 months ago as I did not need them any longer as the rims brake surface was toast. They were built in the early 90's and came on a set of wheel I had purchased second hand, but they were still super smooth. They were great hubs, and I owned them for roughly 20 years.

Old 01-09-21, 10:27 PM
runninupthathil

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I had a set of 600 hub laced to some Mavic box rims for many years. I just sold them about 4 months ago as I did not need them any longer as the rims brake surface was toast. They were built in the early 90's and came on a set of wheel I had purchased second hand, but they were still super smooth. They were great hubs, and I owned them for roughly 20 years.
I actually have a pair of Mavic MA40s (laced to some 105s I think) that I've been saving for a rainy day. If I end up building this bike out to keep I think lacing the 600s to the MA40s might be the real move !
Old 01-09-21, 11:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by runninupthathil
I actually have a pair of Mavic MA40s (laced to some 105s I think) that I've been saving for a rainy day. If I end up building this bike out to keep I think lacing the 600s to the MA40s might be the real move !
Actually my 600 hubs were on Mavic MA-40's that were from ~1996\97 give or take a year. They were pretty bomb proof 32 spoke rims. I was a much heavier rider at the time and they rolled me along without any issues.

Old 01-10-21, 08:33 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
When you get your tires, see which rims they fit best. I had some Matrix rims that were a bear to put tires on but I don't know if they were Matrix II.
Old 01-10-21, 11:19 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by runninupthathil
Hey y'all

Just got a deal on two 80s aluminum treks. A 1000 and an 1100. The 1000 came with Shimano 600 hubs laced to Matrix Titan rims. The 1100 came with Sansin hubs laced to Matrix Titan II rims.

Obviously I'm guessing the 1100 is a little newer, with the Titan II. The bike is a little heavier and the tube width is a bit larger.

Wondering if this is just a tomāto vs tomato situation. But I'm wondering if one of these wheel sets is significantly superior to the other.

I was initially drawn to the 600 set, but then I read good things about old Sansin hubs. So now I'm kind of on the fence.

Any input would appreciated. Thanks!
​​​​​​Freehub or freewheel?
Freehub would swing it for me.
Old 01-11-21, 08:15 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
On a nice descent, you may notice that the Shimano hubs are a bit better, given that both are well-packed and adjusted.
They really were well-made, smooth, and just appeared to have a bit higher quality control. I like my Suzues and Shimanos.
I had some Mavics, but never really rode them. I'd put the Sansins behind them, but they are easily equal to my riding abilities.
I think any difference, in reality, for me, is more imagined than perceived.