Riding the rockies and the desert

Old 02-12-21, 06:43 AM
D@vid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Riding the rockies and the desert

I live in London and am planning to ride from Quebec to San Diego when the pandemic allows. I have previously ridden the East Coast (from West Quoddy Lighthouse to Key West) and London to Istanbul so used to longish rides, although this one would be a bit longer. I ride around 100 miles per day and was wondering about seasonal timing. What would be the best time of year to combine riding over the Rockies from Denver (Independence Pass) and then dropping down to cross Arizona on to San Diego?

Last edited by D@vid; 02-14-21 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-21, 07:38 AM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Considering the temperature differential between Independence Pass and the Sonoran desert, sounds like an interesting ride. Spring, or Fall seasons would probably provide the most temperate weather.
Likes For reconnaissance:
Old 02-12-21, 08:45 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Less likely to see snow in July thru late August at 12,000 ft,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-13-21, 07:38 AM
D@vid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reconnaissance
Considering the temperature differential between Independence Pass and the Sonoran desert, sounds like an interesting ride. Spring, or Fall seasons would probably provide the most temperate weather.
OK, I'd probably start late summer/early Autumn then and ride down through the Great Lakes, aiming to hit Independence Pass in Autumn before it closes for the winter season.
Old 02-13-21, 07:41 AM
D@vid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Less likely to see snow in July thru late August at 12,000 ft,
That would be the peak of summer for crossing the desert though? How bad does the snow get in Autumn (I know the pass closes for the winter)? Would it be a case of picking up some warm gloves and an extra layer in Denver and giving them away after the descent down the other side or is it more serious than that?
Old 02-13-21, 09:25 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I would risk some snow in Colorado to have better weather in the desert. July and August are the hottest months, although you could start at 3am and ride until about 10am each day and that might be doable. But you don't want to be in +100' temperatures far from any towns or water. Desert heat can be relentless. April/May would be better.

Average temperatures in Goodyear
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 02-13-21, 10:08 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
It is more than just snow. In the Eastern Sierra I was caught in a monsoonal thunderstorm at 8,000 feet where the air temp went from 80F to 50F in about 30 minutes when the storm funneled into the mountain pass. Lightening strikes, hail, wind and hypothermia were an issue. Luckily I was only a few miles from my car and coasted back down and could not get the heater working soon enough. Prepare for the heavy showers as well.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-14-21, 10:29 AM
D@vid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
It is more than just snow. In the Eastern Sierra I was caught in a monsoonal thunderstorm at 8,000 feet where the air temp went from 80F to 50F in about 30 minutes when the storm funneled into the mountain pass. Lightening strikes, hail, wind and hypothermia were an issue. Luckily I was only a few miles from my car and coasted back down and could not get the heater working soon enough. Prepare for the heavy showers as well.
OK, that's good to know. So I should maybe plan for the possibility of holing up in Denver for a while checking the weather forecast for a good day to ride over rather than expecting to just ride it whenever I get there, maybe?
Old 02-14-21, 11:26 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by D@vid
OK, that's good to know. So I should maybe plan for the possibility of holing up in Denver for a while checking the weather forecast for a good day to ride over rather than expecting to just ride it whenever I get there, maybe?
Those storms form fast and caught me by surprise. You might want to look also on hiking and backpacking websites for ideas on coping with this possibility.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-15-21, 04:34 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I would watch some videos by Ryan Van Duzer on youtube as he has done the continental divide trail and they're other sources on youtube that do long distance bike packing. You might get some bike friendly routes. Reach out to him also he lives in boulder.
Likes For alloo: