Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Medium or Large helmet?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Medium or Large helmet?

Old 04-16-21, 06:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Medium or Large helmet?

I am thinking of getting a Wavecel road helmet. My head circumference is squarely in the middle of the overlap region between M and L. I have the L mountain bike version, and it fits fine, but if the medium version would also work, would I be better off with a lighter helmet, or am I simply getting less protection for the same-sized head with the M vs. the L?
Old 04-16-21, 07:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I am thinking of getting a Wavecel road helmet. My head circumference is squarely in the middle of the overlap region between M and L. I have the L mountain bike version, and it fits fine, but if the medium version would also work, would I be better off with a lighter helmet, or am I simply getting less protection for the same-sized head with the M vs. the L?
You'd certainly be getting less ability to wear a warm cap under your helmet, which may (or may not) matter to you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-16-21, 09:40 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
+1 if there is any chance of wearing something under for sweat, cold, get the large.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 04-17-21, 10:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Less protection? So you are saying all those in Small and Medium sized helmets are less protected?? <grin>

I'd just look at it that if the helmet is too loose on your head it might roll to expose your head before the maximum impact force is encountered. Or if too small and your head squeezed into it un-uniformly, you might be spreading the forces of impact unevenly and have parts of your head taking too much of the force.

But I'm really guessing. I've no idea.

Just get one that feels comfortable when you try it on. If you are going to wear a sweatVac or something under it, then make certain to account for that. If you ride in the drops, you need to lean forward and make sure the brim of the helmet isn't going to make you crane your neck too much trying to see down the road.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-18-21, 03:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I put on my sun "dew rag" today and the large helmet was almost too small.

Everyone made the right call on this. Thanks!
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-18-21, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would go for the large. I did the medium/large thing and my head did not quite work so well with the medium so the large was the better option.
Old 04-24-21, 02:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I got the large version and it was the right decision. My wife got a medium. It just arrived today. I tried it on, and even at the most extended setting, without any head covering, it was a tight fit for me. It would have been an unambiguously wrong choice.