Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tired of thinking about Tires!!!

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tired of thinking about Tires!!!

Old 04-27-21, 12:23 PM
  #1  
dvdslw
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apopka, Florida
Posts: 1,469

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Tired of thinking about Tires!!!

Recently purchased a 2020 Salsa Warbird and love the bike, its light, fast, and looks good too. Deciding on which bike to buy was a painful process with so many choices it was crazy, but not as crazy as which tire to purchase. First there's 700c or 650b, then there's lets say 35mm all the way to in my case a 700x48mm tire on a 700c rim or up to a 2.1 on a 650b rim that will fit my Warbird. Oh, and don't forget black, tan, grey, limited edition colors, light & supple, standard, durable, knobby, semi-slick, slick, did I forget something??? I mean come on!

My bike came with a set of Teravail Cannonball 42mm gravel tires that have been great, nothing complain about other than wanting to try something different. I also bought a set of Zipps new 303s wheels so I figured why not try their new Tangente G40 tires, they are 2mm narrower and 100 grams lighter so they should speed things up a bit, right? Wrong! They felt like riding through mud on the pavement but off road they felt great other than a slightly harsher ride. Now I'm thinking about going in the other direction and maxing out the volume with some Rene Herse 48mm Oracle Ridge tires that they claim are just as fast as most 42mm tires on the market. Or their 44mm Snoqualmie Pass semi slicks that are 375 grams and again they claim to have better grip on gravel than knobby and are super fast rolling like a 28mm slick. Teravail also has a 47mm light and supple Cannonball that is intriguing as well.

Sorry if none of that made any sense, just rambling on, but I want a do it all and do it all well tire that rolls fast on pavement and is comfy as can be on gravel in the 700c variety using my current 23mm internal width rims. Anyone have experience with the Rene Herse Tires and could shed some light on choosing light & supple or standard versions? Or if there's any other tires that have impressed you?
dvdslw is offline  
Likes For dvdslw:
Old 04-27-21, 12:47 PM
  #2  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 13,155

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6116 Post(s)
Liked 3,260 Times in 1,881 Posts
Tires are a definite paralysis by analysis situation for me. The number of options are seemingly endless and its super difficult to compare one to another due to all the marketing speak and lack of standardized testing.
Each time I buy tires, for gravel or road, I end up going down a totally unnecessary rabbit hole and eventually emerge with no real definitive info on a new tire.

I dont have experience with RH tires. Ive come close to buying them 3 times now, but continue to not want to spend $160 for tires that may not handle how I ride because they are too supple and weak. I also dont want to spend $160 on a version of their tires that has so much protection built in that most of the reason for buying RH tires is negated.
...which is why I currently have 3 bikes with Panaracer Gravel King slick or semi-slick tires. They equate to a good mix of cost and durabiliy and they are the devil versus the devil I dont.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 01:02 PM
  #3  
Bomb Komodo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
Recently purchased a 2020 Salsa Warbird and love the bike, its light, fast, and looks good too. Deciding on which bike to buy was a painful process with so many choices it was crazy, but not as crazy as which tire to purchase. First there's 700c or 650b, then there's lets say 35mm all the way to in my case a 700x48mm tire on a 700c rim or up to a 2.1 on a 650b rim that will fit my Warbird. Oh, and don't forget black, tan, grey, limited edition colors, light & supple, standard, durable, knobby, semi-slick, slick, did I forget something??? I mean come on!

My bike came with a set of Teravail Cannonball 42mm gravel tires that have been great, nothing complain about other than wanting to try something different. I also bought a set of Zipps new 303s wheels so I figured why not try their new Tangente G40 tires, they are 2mm narrower and 100 grams lighter so they should speed things up a bit, right? Wrong! They felt like riding through mud on the pavement but off road they felt great other than a slightly harsher ride. Now I'm thinking about going in the other direction and maxing out the volume with some Rene Herse 48mm Oracle Ridge tires that they claim are just as fast as most 42mm tires on the market. Or their 44mm Snoqualmie Pass semi slicks that are 375 grams and again they claim to have better grip on gravel than knobby and are super fast rolling like a 28mm slick. Teravail also has a 47mm light and supple Cannonball that is intriguing as well.

Sorry if none of that made any sense, just rambling on, but I want a do it all and do it all well tire that rolls fast on pavement and is comfy as can be on gravel in the 700c variety using my current 23mm internal width rims. Anyone have experience with the Rene Herse Tires and could shed some light on choosing light & supple or standard versions? Or if there's any other tires that have impressed you?
I have the same bike as you and am still rolling stock on the Cannonballs. I would like to explore 650b at some point and made a thread about that. I figure the first thing I need to do is figure out what I don't like about the Cannonballs and 700c setup. the main thing is toe overlap so far, and I also don't feel confident on sharp gravel turns, but that may just be my own issues or PSI is a little high.

Main reason to go to 650b for me is to lessen toe overlap and run at a softer PSI. If it costs me a lot of speed though, I will not be happy. I still have a lot to learn there. I guess my advice is to really learn the Cannonball tires first as that will tell us a lot about the bike in general and what could be better.
Bomb Komodo is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 02:20 PM
  #4  
scottfsmith
I like bike
 
scottfsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Merry Land USA
Posts: 290

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 77 Posts
I also recently spent way too much time going down the gravel tire rabbit hole. My take-away is you want the fastest non-slick tire for all-around riding. Slicks will be fine in many conditions but can be really bad in a few conditions, mainly mud and larger gravel on turns. I still remember painful mud wipe-outs on slicks so no thanks there for me. If you go to bicyclerollingresistence.com for example you will see Terra Speed does about the best in that category (removing the slicks from their best-of list). I think Gravelking SS will also be good, they are going to release the data on it any day now. Gravelking SK and Specialized Pathfinder Pro are other fast non-slicks. If the Conti Terra Speed lasted longer I think it would really take over the segment like their GP5000 did for road tires. Personally I am running Terra Speeds now, I have another set of wheels for road where most of my miles are so hopefully the gravel tires will last awhile.
scottfsmith is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 02:30 PM
  #5  
franswa
Senior Member
 
franswa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 73 Posts
I hear ya! I don't even need new tires for a good while and am always thinking about what to choose next. I was thinking the Cannonballs but then I read about this great tire and that wonderful tire, supple this supple that, rolling resistance, blah blah blah.

Currently using 650x47 WTB Byways and I like em enough. They were a breeze to set up tubeless on my wheels and I can't tell if they are sluggish on pavement, or maybe I'm trying not to worry too much because, you know, that's when it all starts down the 'ol rabbit hole.
franswa is offline  
Likes For franswa:
Old 04-27-21, 02:51 PM
  #6  
dvdslw
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apopka, Florida
Posts: 1,469

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I see I'm not the only one with this problem, thanks for the input so far. To comment on a few of your replies, I'm pretty sure I don't want to size down to a 650b wheelset. I ride a 61cm frame with a size 15 foot and have no problem with toe overlap whatsoever. That and the Warbird will clear a 700x47-48mm tire no problem if I want to pump up the volume!

I'm also hesitant to try the Rene Herse tires not only for price but I'm afraid they'll be too fragile unless I get the extra protection version which kind of negates the benefits of their products being light and supple.

The 47mm Teravail Cannonball is topping my list right now based on the performance of the heavier 42mm that came on my bike. Lighter, more volume, and a tan sidewall to boot! Not to mention almost half the price of a similar Rene Herse.

I've also had great luck with Schwalbe tires on road and mtb, never a flat and they roll extremely well. Maybe a 45mm offering from them could work too?
dvdslw is offline  
Likes For dvdslw:
Old 04-27-21, 03:18 PM
  #7  
pipeliner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 23 Posts
With that bike and your size, the only way Iíd go to to a 650b is if you ride lots of tough single track. 700c has an advantage in rollover and rolling resistance. As far as tire width choices, Iíll throw some opinion out there...

1. Larger volume tires can really help the rider if they are big/heavy and/or they are frequently riding on soft or loose surfaces...or really rough stuff like large crushed rock, large diameter gravel. They also cost you in wind, weight and rolling resistance if you plan to go faster or be competitive.

2. Smaller volume tires are faster and less forgiving.

3. What is a larger volume tire? Pretty subjective. If you weigh 140 lbs, a 38 or 40mm tire can be all you would ever need in tough conditions and a 35mm on race day. If you weigh 240, a 45mm tire or larger is pretty forgiving.

I think the 700c 45mm is the ideal tire for our conditions and my size (240) but I usually swap it out for a 38mm when itís gravel race day.

Oh, and this is tubeless only weíre talking about here...

Last edited by pipeliner; 04-27-21 at 03:22 PM.
pipeliner is offline  
Likes For pipeliner:
Old 04-27-21, 03:31 PM
  #8  
Bomb Komodo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post
With that bike and your size, the only way I’d go to to a 650b is if you ride lots of tough single track. 700c has an advantage in rollover and rolling resistance. As far as tire width choices, I’ll throw some opinion out there...

1. Larger volume tires can really help the rider if they are big/heavy and/or they are frequently riding on soft or loose surfaces...or really rough stuff like large crushed rock, large diameter gravel. They also cost you in wind, weight and rolling resistance if you plan to go faster or be competitive.

2. Smaller volume tires are faster and less forgiving.

3. What is a larger volume tire? Pretty subjective. If you weigh 140 lbs, a 38 or 40mm tire can be all you would ever need in tough conditions and a 35mm on race day. If you weigh 240, a 45mm tire or larger is pretty forgiving.

I think the 700c 45mm is the ideal tire for our conditions and my size (240) but I usually swap it out for a 38mm when it’s gravel race day.

Oh, and this is tubeless only we’re talking about here...
Real interesting stuff.

I'm 5'8 and 180 so that's why I am considering 650b. Once OP posted his size, it makes total sense to stay at 700.

Personally torn on good speed versus comfort. I ride gravel, some single track and also paved, so my Warbird is a true all rounder. Anyway, don't mean to hijack just find this topic real interesting since I have the same bike. Currently riding 700c 42s and not racing.
Bomb Komodo is offline  
Likes For Bomb Komodo:
Old 04-27-21, 03:55 PM
  #9  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,485

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 605 Posts
We should take a break from thinking about tires and think about chain lube instead.
tyrion is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 05:28 PM
  #10  
franswa
Senior Member
 
franswa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
We should take a break from thinking about tires and think about chain lube instead.
This has me wondering if coating my tires in chain lube will result in less rolling resistance
franswa is offline  
Likes For franswa:
Old 04-27-21, 05:33 PM
  #11  
walnutz
Senior Member
 
walnutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ATX
Posts: 606

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank, All-City Super Professional aka Bulldozer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa View Post
This has me wondering if coating my tires in chain lube will result in less rolling resistance
Only if you are using disc brakes.
walnutz is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 06:42 PM
  #12  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,380
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 226 Posts
I get Specialized Trigger Pros or Pathfinder Pros and call it a day.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Likes For shoota:
Old 04-27-21, 07:27 PM
  #13  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,272

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 228 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post
With that bike and your size, the only way Iíd go to to a 650b is if you ride lots of tough single track. 700c has an advantage in rollover and rolling resistance. As far as tire width choices, Iíll throw some opinion out there...

1. Larger volume tires can really help the rider if they are big/heavy and/or they are frequently riding on soft or loose surfaces...or really rough stuff like large crushed rock, large diameter gravel. They also cost you in wind, weight and rolling resistance if you plan to go faster or be competitive.

2. Smaller volume tires are faster and less forgiving.

3. What is a larger volume tire? Pretty subjective. If you weigh 140 lbs, a 38 or 40mm tire can be all you would ever need in tough conditions and a 35mm on race day. If you weigh 240, a 45mm tire or larger is pretty forgiving.

I think the 700c 45mm is the ideal tire for our conditions and my size (240) but I usually swap it out for a 38mm when itís gravel race day.

Oh, and this is tubeless only weíre talking about here...
I know this is common wisdom, but Ted King, Lael Wilcox and Jan Heine all three agree that quality 650b tires are as fast as any 700C. And they try LOTS of tires... They mostly ride 650B now if you check out Teds Podcast with them a few weeks ago. They all love Rene Herse.

At our shop we ride everything but have come down to these favorites that we regularly stock for fast and great ride quality:

Panaracer Gravel Kings - good all around and reasonable price
Vittoria Terreno Zero or Dry - Near Excellent
Rene Herse (38-48mm) - Excellent
Schwalbe G-One - Excellent
Challenge Strada Bianca - Nice slick and rides like Rene Herse but a bit less expensive

And for more tread when you expect mud, deep sand:
Bruce Gordon Rock & Road
Vittoria Terreno Wet


The Bruce Gordons are new for us but they have deep, aggressive tread that is soft and grippy. We want to see if we can climb up the store window with them like a spider. Great if it is sloppy or if you ave no idea what you are in for that day.

Any of the above you can use and they all are at least really good. Some of the other stuff out there is more marketing than performance.

Start with the widest you can fit and when you are comfy with that try sizing down and see if you still like it...
dwmckee is offline  
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 04-27-21, 08:27 PM
  #14  
dvdslw
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apopka, Florida
Posts: 1,469

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bomb Komodo View Post
Real interesting stuff.

I'm 5'8 and 180 so that's why I am considering 650b. Once OP posted his size, it makes total sense to stay at 700.

Personally torn on good speed versus comfort. I ride gravel, some single track and also paved, so my Warbird is a true all rounder. Anyway, don't mean to hijack just find this topic real interesting since I have the same bike. Currently riding 700c 42s and not racing.
Please don't worry about hijacking the thread, I appreciate your input.
dvdslw is offline  
Likes For dvdslw:
Old 04-27-21, 08:29 PM
  #15  
dvdslw
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apopka, Florida
Posts: 1,469

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
We should take a break from thinking about tires and think about chain lube instead.
Funny story, just yesterday I ran out of chain lube so I looked around the house and found Olive Oil spray. Worked great and less calories!
dvdslw is offline  
Likes For dvdslw:
Old 04-27-21, 08:39 PM
  #16  
dvdslw
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Apopka, Florida
Posts: 1,469

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post

Rene Herse (38-48mm) - Excellent
Schwalbe G-One - Excellent

Start with the widest you can fit and when you are comfy with that try sizing down and see if you still like it...
I have been a loyal Schwalbe user for about 8 years now both on and off road so the G-One's are on my short list. As far as the Rene Herse tires go, they say that the Light and Supple is something to experience and I'd love to give the 700x48 Oracle Ridge tires a try but wonder how well they'll hold up? Have you compared their Light and Supple casing to the Standard casings?
dvdslw is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 09:19 PM
  #17  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 1,403

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 394 Posts
Specialized Pathfinder Pros for me, 38mm, they measure out to 40mm on 23c rims. Fantastic on the road, gravel, sand, light mud. I doubt I'll even try another tire now.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-28-21, 02:31 PM
  #18  
Noonievut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer View Post
Specialized Pathfinder Pros for me, 38mm, they measure out to 40mm on 23c rims. Fantastic on the road, gravel, sand, light mud. I doubt I'll even try another tire now.
That one is on my list for a future purchase. I can fit the 42, and would run them tubeless.

I agree with the OP's thread title, we all suffer from this at some point
Noonievut is offline  
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 04-28-21, 02:43 PM
  #19  
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington
 
Badger6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brussels (BE) 🇧🇪
Posts: 954

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
It's great tire.
Badger6 is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 03:27 PM
  #20  
franswa
Senior Member
 
franswa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ATX
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 73 Posts
Ooh and the 650b comes in tanwall
franswa is offline  
Likes For franswa:
Old 04-28-21, 07:00 PM
  #21  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,272

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 228 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
I have been a loyal Schwalbe user for about 8 years now both on and off road so the G-One's are on my short list. As far as the Rene Herse tires go, they say that the Light and Supple is something to experience and I'd love to give the 700x48 Oracle Ridge tires a try but wonder how well they'll hold up? Have you compared their Light and Supple casing to the Standard casings?
I ride both standard and extra lights, have not yet tried endurance. I have mot had a flat in years and I ride average of 60 - 70% gravel overall. They are reasonably durable, but not as durable as gravel kings or G-Ones, but the ride is worth it. I would NOT recommend for commuting where you get a lot of broken glass or radial tire wires on the shoulder, or in DK with all of the sharp flint. Riding in places like that warrants a more armored casing. Our gravel in PA is well tumbled with no glass or tire wires or goatheads or many sharp rocks to worry about. Here RH tires are really ideal!
dwmckee is offline  
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 04-28-21, 07:20 PM
  #22  
Rolla
Gyro Captain
 
Rolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post

Panaracer Gravel Kings - good all around and reasonable price
My tire search ended right there. No tire is ďdo it all and do it all well,Ē but GK SKs get me close. I run 35s on one bike and 43s on another. Theyíre reasonably fast, reasonably light, and super versatile. Done.
Rolla is offline  
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-29-21, 06:11 PM
  #23  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,625 Times in 1,167 Posts
I just get Gravelking SK and let other people worry about how much faster or slower they might be than other tires.

I have seen people have not good experience with some Terravails tubeless.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 08:01 PM
  #24  
biketampa
I donít live in Tampa
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 446

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
Iíve tried the gravel kings in multiple sizes and just canít get into them. I know lots of people love them but just not for me. I love my wtb resolutes size 42 for yucky conditions but they never feel faster. My pathfinder pros feel fast to me. I havenít ridden them in yucky conditions yes though.
biketampa is offline  
Old 04-30-21, 02:02 AM
  #25  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,719

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilťe, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, Ď21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, Ď19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 454 Posts
I ride Herse in 650b and 700c and find them awesome for gravel, pavement, and comfort.

The 650bx48 Switchback Hill are standard casing and set up tubeless. The ride is crazy plush, like spoil-you-for-everything-else plush, and seem fast, too, but I have them on the Breezer Doppler which is a heavy, luxo-cruiser, so it’s hard to tell if it’s the rubber, the lack of aero, or the weight keeping the speeds down. For Endurance level riding, though, this rig with these tires is the dream, and it just begs to hit those dirt backroads and go explore the world. The RHs replaced venerable 650bx47 WTB Horizon, shaving weight and really making the ride more airy and lively.

The 700x37 Herse Bon Jon Pass Extralight casing are set up tubeless on my racy gravel rig, the T-Lab X3. Just recently completed, the first time out on it I set several PRs on gravel segments I’ve not bested since 2014. I’ve not had any other rubber on this bike so I can’t parse how much is bike versus how much is the rubber making the magic happen, but the ride on dirt was sublime. It didn’t seem too shabby on pavement either, but I’ve done lots of group rides on the pavement around here, so it’s hard to set PRs rollin’ solo, but I’ll tell you that my gravel group for a few years was some of the fastest guys around, and they still hold down many top 10 Strava segments several years on, so I’m inclined to think the Bon Jon Extralights are just made of pure magic. Really… I wasn’t even going for any segments— besides being a first ride to learn the bike, I’m also about 20lbs heavier than I was in ‘14 and training to an FTP 25w lower as well, so I thought PRs were well out of reach— but apparently the bike/tire combo was a huge step up from my 30c or 28c shod Kinesis Racelight 4S road bike on dirt roads.

I ride gravel roads— not trails, not tracks— which, around here, are mostly hardpack but can have loose rock and crushed limestone on the surface, too. Grading happens pretty regularly, too, which turns the surface into an inch-deep churn of limestones, sand, loess, and clay, so you can get a variety of conditions, but mostly hardpack, so speed is king and having tire volume to smooth the potholes, washboard, and other rough stuff is paramount to making speed because traction is a given and rarely a concern.
chaadster is offline  
Likes For chaadster:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.