Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Awesome Humber Bike - gear shifter?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 10:27 AM
jfny1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Ok, so I am now a few months into working on bikes, and I feel like I know a fair amount. I have a network of people giving bikes to me, and I give them to a YMCA program, I make them work as is for me, or I strip them for parts to build myself things, or I recycle them.

I got this Humber bicycle today. It has what looks to me to be a gear shifter, but there's only there are no gears in the back as best I can tell. Anyone have an idea what the heck that's all about? Either someone did something crazy to this bike that doesn't work, or I just don't understand. The latter is possible!

The first 2 pics are of the issue, and then I'm posting a few other pics of the bike for fun.

Old 04-29-21, 10:42 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
That's an internal gear rear hub. Look into sheldonbrown.com for information on old English 3 speeds. Also check out the long running thread on this site, "For the Love of English 3 Speeds."
Likes For BFisher:
Old 04-29-21, 10:47 AM
jfny1978

Thank you! I get these bikes to learn something new, so I guess I'm about to.
Old 04-29-21, 11:00 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Here's the relevant Sheldon Brown link, for 3-speed hub information.

Your hub is very likely a Sturmey Archer AW. Here's how to adjust them.

The information on rebuilding or servicing these can be found here.

Don't be intimidated! It's actually pretty easy to do. Often if it doesn't shift well, all that is wrong is the adjustment. If you get "neutral" in a one gear after you've adjusted the cable, probably a few pawls are stuck. Sometimes you can just dump oil down the hub to free up the pawls, but if you need to rebuild it, they're really not bad, and usually all the internal parts just *work*. These hubs last forever with a drop of oil now and then. Hell, even without the oil, they last darn near forever!
Old 04-29-21, 11:05 AM
jfny1978

Cool, thank you! I am excited to learn about this.
Old 04-29-21, 11:33 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
OP: That is definitely an awesome Humber bike. Have fun with it!

Everybody else: this is a great reminder of what the rest of the world sees when they look at our bikes.
Likes For brianinc-ville:
Old 04-29-21, 11:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
Everybody else: this is a great reminder of what the rest of the world sees when they look at our bikes.
Down with derailers and the mindset associated with them. /s*

-Kurt

P.S.: Only 50% sarcasm, thanks to an argument with someone from the LAB who tried to insist that you couldn't shift an IGH while stopped.

Last edited by cudak888; 04-29-21 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-29-21, 02:52 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Nice score - you will have a lot of fun with it. My recommendation though - don't go too fast. For example, often you feel like you have to totally disassemble something to fix it up - that hub might be working just fine with a flush and new oil. The paint and decals look great on that bike so do your research and go slowly trying to bring it back without stripping it all down. That crank will shine up nicely I think - my Humber had a rustier/dirtier one when I got it and it looks great today..... Of course its your bike and if you want to take it down to individual parts for the heck of it have at it! It *will* be fun no matter what.
Old 04-29-21, 03:04 PM
jfny1978

Thanks so much. Yeah, that's what I was thinking with this one, funny enough. I think it will ride, and stop with just different tires, which I already pulled off another bike I was given. Once I am sure that works, I can work on the gear hub and clean the whole thing up a little bit.

Side note: I was reading your post from 2019 about your Humber earlier today...I liked how someone told you "It's your bike, not a national treasure" - lol. So true.
Likes For jfny1978:
Old 04-30-21, 05:16 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by jfny1978
Ok, so I am now a few months into working on bikes, and I feel like I know a fair amount. I have a network of people giving bikes to me, and I give them to a YMCA program, I make them work as is for me, or I strip them for parts to build myself things, or I recycle them.

I got this Humber bicycle today. It has what looks to me to be a gear shifter, but there's only there are no gears in the back as best I can tell. Anyone have an idea what the heck that's all about? Either someone did something crazy to this bike that doesn't work, or I just don't understand. The latter is possible!

The first 2 pics are of the issue, and then I'm posting a few other pics of the bike for fun.

first thing before riding is to get a little lube on the chain, a little on the little chain that goes into the rear hub. Also a drop on each brake pivot. That little chain is what makes your gears shift, being pulled by the gear lever on the bars, that you showed.