Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The small pleasures of a new chain

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-03-21, 12:46 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts

What follows is not (chain) BREAKING NEWS.

I put a new chain on the bike today, and I enjoyed it.

The chain I replaced had hit 4,000 miles, and I was keeping an eye on it. It could have gone farther; not yet at 1/16 wear, but I got caught in the rain the other day and thought, I can lube this chain or just change it. At 4K, I had no complaints, and I had a new chain in the on-deck circle, so, new chain!

I broke a few links off the newbie and installed it with a Wippermann link I had wanted to try, the Lexus of Links. It's nice! Easy-on, and I suppose easy-off too. It comes in a little box with instructions in six languages on a sheet folded to a square inch, and is directional, so get it right.

On its premiere ride, the chain was smooth and quiet, shifting perfectly... just like the previous chain. I had hoped to spot a difference, thinking that the new chain would be stiffer laterally or something, but I really couldn't say. But knowing that I had a new chain gave me that feeling that I always get on the first ride after lubing the drivetrain, that it's like a new bike, or that I'm faster and cooler, the superior knowledge of diligent maintenance. All of that is BS, but fun anyway.

After a hundred miles I'll remove the perfectly fine factory lube and replace it with the Best Chain Lube Ever I have selected from the many best lubes available, and crank off for another 4,000 miles. If that Wippermann link gives me any grief I'll let you know.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 05-03-21, 02:04 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Sometimes the joy returns to being able to ride a bike that the chain performs as it should, doesn't skip or drop off at the worst of times. Or sometimes, it's just the one little NEW thing you need to make your day... I've been there, and for no otehr good reason than the chain was new...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 05-04-21, 07:25 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
A new chain is like getting your car washed. It may not run any better but it feels better.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 05-04-21, 07:35 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
A new chain is like getting your car washed. It may not run any better but it looks feels better.
fify lol