Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which kind of SPD/platform combo pedals?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Which set up is best?
SPD on one side, platform on the other
54.55%
SPD on both sides with a platform around them
22.73%
Regular SPD and clip-in platform
22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-21, 01:30 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,202 Times in 689 Posts

It's time to get my son a bigger bike and he wants a road bike to go riding with me, but I also want him to be able to just jump on it when he wants to ride to his friend's house or visit Grandma. He already uses SPD pedals on the tandem we ride, so I figured on getting him those combo pedals so he can also ride comfortably with street shoes. That leaves 3 choices, so I'm curious which you recommend and why.

1) SPD on one side, platform on the other
2) SPD on both sides with a platform around them
3) Regular SPD and attach a clip-in platform when using street shoes

I'm leaning toward #3 because there would be no platform to get in the way of clipping in when using clipless shoes, but I have no experience with any of these options and would love to hear real world experiences.
Old 05-04-21, 01:45 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a set of ISSI Flip pedals (option 1) on my commuterized CX bike. They work great either way and it's nice to be able to hop on without having to do anything.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-04-21, 01:53 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I have #1 and love them. I only wear my clips when the weather is nice so I don't destroy them. Here's a good link to a thread that might help you:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-pedal-id.html
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-04-21, 02:50 PM
rbevansjr

Bikes: 2021 Domane SL5, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a pair of Shimano EH-500 hybrid pedals on my Dual Sport, love them. They do exactly what you want, platform for a quick ride down the street and SPD clips for longer, dedicated rides.
Likes For rbevansjr:
Old 05-04-21, 02:58 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i never ride my bike without my cleated bike shoes so double SPD for me.
Old 05-04-21, 03:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
I run all spd two sided as my bikes are "multi - use". Of course some of the vintagy ones have their original pedals with either platforms or toe clips.
I generally run Shimano pd-M324
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-04-21, 03:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by spelger
i never ride my bike without my cleated bike shoes so double SPD for me.
But do you ride with your cleated shoes over to your friend's house to play video games, or to your grandparent's house to play with their dog?
Old 05-05-21, 07:17 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
But do you ride with your cleated shoes over to your friend's house to play video games, or to your grandparent's house to play with their dog?
i was born in cleated shoes.
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-05-21, 09:30 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i was born in cleated shoes.
I feel for your momma....
Old 05-05-21, 11:37 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
For hybrid pedals...

I like the Shimano PD-T8000, but they might not be "roadie" enough for some tastes.

The PD-M324 have a little bit of a "rat trap" thing going for them that some might find appealing.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 05-05-21, 11:54 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The problem is the poll question comes up first, out of context. I voted for the second option, and then read the OP, and realized I didn't answer the question you asked. (I ride XTR trail pedals, and answered that.)

I have a pair of those platform things you can snap into the SPD cleat binding. I don't recommend them. Option #1 sounds the best for your kid.

The first time my kid tried SPD cleats, he broke his wrist while messing around. It is good to have other options.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-05-21, 12:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
I've thus far enjoyed the speedplay zero setup. They are never hungry for the shins, 95% of the time it's quick to click & go from a quick dig, sleek profile for those times you shouldn't crank ahead while in a turn yet these allow for more clearance (imo) to do it, & not easy to grip with plain shoes which makes for a natural random rider deterrent.
Old 05-05-21, 01:58 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by wgscott
The problem is the poll question comes up first, out of context. I voted for the second option, and then read the OP, and realized I didn't answer the question you asked. (I ride XTR trail pedals, and answered that.)

I have a pair of those platform things you can snap into the SPD cleat binding. I don't recommend them. Option #1 sounds the best for your kid.

The first time my kid tried SPD cleats, he broke his wrist while messing around. It is good to have other options.
Thanks. Your answer gave me a lot of insight. Any reason you don't like the snap in platforms? I figured they would be a plus because it would give him better cornering clearance when using the cycling shoes since he could remove them.

I have noticed my son being a little too free in his child-like movements while wearing his cleated shoes, and for that reason am going to get him some MTB or touring shoes when he gets to the next size up. But yeah, still figure he'd want real sneakers when just doing casual stuff.
Old 05-05-21, 02:00 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Troul
I've thus far enjoyed the speedplay zero setup. They are never hungry for the shins, 95% of the time it's quick to click & go from a quick dig, sleek profile for those times you shouldn't crank ahead while in a turn yet these allow for more clearance (imo) to do it, & not easy to grip with plain shoes which makes for a natural random rider deterrent.
lol so exactly what I DON'T want for this situation. Thanks ;-)

Actually, I used to ride Speedplay Zero myself. Definitely the best feeling pedal I've ever used, but I was too lazy to keep them maintained and they developed squeaks too easily. But that has nothing to do with this thread.
Old 05-06-21, 10:47 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
When I use SPD pedals, it is now the Shimano PD-9020 (https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ.../PD-M9020.html) a double-sided SPD pedal which have a generous platform for shoe support, but are not optimal for non-clipped use. You can get by with sneakers, but it is a "class C" solution for short distances. I use the SM-SH-56 cleats for easier release. I tried the platform/SPD combos, but always having to flip the SPD side up was a PITA, so I went for the 9020s.

Most SPD shoes are very walkable, but I still found that I preferred a more traditional looking shoe with laces instead of velcro straps. As a result I reverted back to toeclips and straps with Shimano GR5 flat pedal shoes.

I find I am now using my MKS Sylvan Touring Next pedals and toe clips almost exclusively.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-07-21, 10:46 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
always having to flip the SPD side up was a PITA
I just assumed they SPD side would naturally rest on top because the platform would weigh the other side down more. Sounds like that's not the case, and that would indeed annoy my son who sometimes takes a minute to clip into his regular SPDs on our tandem.
Old 05-07-21, 02:27 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I just assumed they SPD side would naturally rest on top because the platform would weigh the other side down more. Sounds like that's not the case, and that would indeed annoy my son who sometimes takes a minute to clip into his regular SPDs on our tandem.
The pedals I was trying had a lighter alloy platform. I believe that was why the steel SPD clip was hanging down. I also noticed that the construction where the pedal spindle was located also created the balance favoring the platform being up. Other designs might hang differently. I do not remember the brand, but they were not Shimano.

Actually, while I did have a few incidents of failure to unclip (operator error), I found the incidents of difficulty in quickly reclipping, while not common, far more aggravating. I finally resolved it to a large degree by putting a mark on my shoes where the pedal spindle was when clipped in which greatly reduced the clipping in alignment issue.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 05-07-21 at 02:38 PM.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-07-21, 03:47 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I went to using Five Ten flat shoes and pinned flat pedals. It's great - no more hassle with 2 pairs of shoes, it stopped hotspots and foot numbness for me, and I can walk around off the bike in more "normal" shoes without changing shoes. They accompkish everythjng I'd want from clipless - feet stay firmly on the pedals and never slip.

Some people like clipless. Not for me any more but it works fine. Note that it does not provide a speed advantage in regular riding (search youtube for many videos on the topic).

I have used the flat/clipless hybrid solution before and to me it's the worst of everything. Problem is every time you take your foot on and off the pedal you have to look down to see which side is up and half the time flip it. This is at the worst time possible, right at intersections, where you want your head up watching traffic, not staring down at your feet. I really just don't like them for anything myself.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 05-07-21 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-07-21, 03:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Shimano A520