Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cycling for years w/o knowing a thing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-05-21, 08:22 PM
indiecollin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and I was hoping I could learn a thing or 2 about being a better cyclist. Some background on me, I started riding roadbikes when I was 23 and have been doing so for the past 5 years. I've probably rode over 10k miles and I've spent thousands of dollars on cycling. I really love riding as a hobby though I haven't been doing it much over the pandemic. Despite all I've said, I hardly know anything about these beautiful machines and I decided that today I would try and change that.

I ride a 2013 cervelo R3 with a hodgepodge of different components. Whenever something goes wrong with my bike I just find myself throwing money at the problem instead of getting a better understanding of what caused the problem so I can be a more informed consumer. I also feel like I have a really good bike with features I don't completely understand (like my electric derailleur that sometimes seems to have a mind of its own). I feel like I tried to get a bunch of "pro" stuff while still being fairly amateur. Where should I begin in better understanding my bike, cycling in general, and how to properly maintain/repair my bikes?
Old 05-05-21, 09:18 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Welcome to BF.

Youtube is your friend. Usually.

Our own BF Mechanics Forum.

Buy good tools.
Park Tools has instructional videos that might be useful in maintaining your bike.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-05-21 at 09:29 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 05-05-21, 09:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indiecollin
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and I was hoping I could learn a thing or 2 about being a better cyclist. Some background on me, I started riding roadbikes when I was 23 and have been doing so for the past 5 years. I've probably rode over 10k miles and I've spent thousands of dollars on cycling. I really love riding as a hobby though I haven't been doing it much over the pandemic. Despite all I've said, I hardly know anything about these beautiful machines and I decided that today I would try and change that.

I ride a 2013 cervelo R3 with a hodgepodge of different components. Whenever something goes wrong with my bike I just find myself throwing money at the problem instead of getting a better understanding of what caused the problem so I can be a more informed consumer. I also feel like I have a really good bike with features I don't completely understand (like my electric derailleur that sometimes seems to have a mind of its own). I feel like I tried to get a bunch of "pro" stuff while still being fairly amateur. Where should I begin in better understanding my bike, cycling in general, and how to properly maintain/repair my bikes?
First, I had that exact same bike and loved it. I never would have parted with it if I'd had a choice. I replaced it with another Cervelo that's also wonderful, but I still miss the R3 and I'm sightly jealous. 🙂

Welcome. To your last question, there are great resources all over the net. If you have any specifics questions people in here love talking about bikes.
Old 05-06-21, 12:40 AM
indiecollin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
If you have any kind of mechanical ability or logic, watch some youtube videos and bicycle mechanic sites. You will save hundreds, thousands of dollars on bike stuff. Including gas heading to the shop for simple adjustments. I learned to build my own bikes and wheels so over the last 15 years, I have spent about $20 on a bike shop "repair". That was because I did not have a special tool that did not make sense to own. But that is having 7 fully functional bicycles, $20!

DIY is your best friend!
How do you even get into building your own bikes and wheels?!? That's definitely something I'd like to try.
Old 05-06-21, 01:16 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/

is a good resource.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 05-06-21, 07:00 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Bikes really are simple machines and there’s so much help instruction on the internet there’s very little need if any to go to a shop.

Im fairly handy at best. My wife would say I’m exaggerating.
Old 05-06-21, 07:27 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Building a bike isn't very difficult. These days, there are many factory built wheels with excellent quality. I assemble my bikes from the frame up, but don't bother building wheels. Campy/Fulcrum usually has what I need.
Old 05-06-21, 08:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
If you've been riding solo only for 5 years, you probably could benefit from doing some group rides. You'll learn some valuable skills in a good group.

Check if there are any group rides in your area.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-06-21, 09:15 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-08-21, 04:20 PM
indiecollin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome thanks for all the advice everyone! I have a Trek that's laying around that needs a lot of work so I think I might just start with seeing if I can get that running. As far as joining a cycling group I will try that too once I get my Cervelo rolling again.
Old 05-09-21, 10:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
While old bikes can be a sweet and memorable ride, don't forget to try the new bikes. Sometimes the cost of upgrading a bike, even with you doing all the work, will have your bike with lesser tier components on it than if you'd bought a new bike with your dream groupset on it.

My 1991 Paramount rides extremely nice and the 105 5800 I put on it shifted better than anything else I've had.... even my Ultegra Di2 on my new bike. But the new bike is so much more fun to ride.
Old 05-09-21, 12:20 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Bikes really are simple machines and there’s so much help instruction on the internet there’s very little need if any to go to a shop.

Im fairly handy at best. My wife would say I’m exaggerating.
This is true for many bikes. But as they get more sophisticated. Like hydraulic brakes and electric derailleurs it takes more skill. I been riding a bike for 50+ years and the only time its been in the shop is when I bent the frame and forks when I was hit by a parked car at night. This is one reason I try to KISS. Clincher tires on 26" rims, Rim brakes, a mechanical single chainring transmission, and no suspension.

That said, A little research can go a long way toward keeping a more elaborate bike in top shape and limit trips to the bike shop and replacing parts.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 05-09-21, 05:25 PM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
This is true for many bikes. But as they get more sophisticated. Like hydraulic brakes and electric derailleurs it takes more skill. I been riding a bike for 50+ years and the only time its been in the shop is when I bent the frame and forks when I was hit by a parked car at night. This is one reason I try to KISS. Clincher tires on 26" rims, Rim brakes, a mechanical single chainring transmission, and no suspension.

That said, A little research can go a long way toward keeping a more elaborate bike in top shape and limit trips to the bike shop and replacing parts.
Parked cars are aggressive!!