Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

My journey with cycling and diabetes

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 05-09-21, 04:00 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

This is not meant as advice to anyone else who has diabetes but rather just my own experiences of making it work with type 2 diabetes.
I have tried numerous snack bars, sports drinks, varying the timing of medication , etc..... and so far this is what seems to work for ME. And all of the following has been confirmed with finger sticks at various times to check results. It’s a fine balance trying to sustain a hard ride without too much sugar yet not crash my numbers.

Liquids— Propell mixed with Arbonne Essential Fizz, gives me an extra kick over just water and the Arbonne.
I’ve not found a better substance for riding.

Food— Depends on the distance but Atkins bars and GU gels are with me on every ride. Doing a century usually includes downing a couple of tuna on wheat sandwich’s as well.

Meds— I’m currently on 3x500mg once a day time release with dinner but only take one if I’m doing anything I consider “tough” otherwise I maintain the dosage as prescribed.

I’ve tried different dosages of meds, every low sugar/carb high protein food I can think of and so far this combination seems to work, digests easily and is convenient to carry. I’ve included my Dr’s advice and he’s well informed of what I’ve been doing. At least for now it’s keeping me happily cycling 40-50 pretty easily with the occasional century not being really that hard. And it’s key to eat and drink constantly on longer rides. If you wait until you feel a crash coming on, it’s too late already.

YMMV but thought I’d toss it out for fellow type 2’s what’s working for me.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 05-09-21, 04:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
What type meds?
3x500 mg once a day time release

Old 05-09-21, 09:30 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
What type meds?
Metformin
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 05-19-21, 09:42 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I had to ditch my Trulicity, it was stripping the glycogen from my muscles. Took me over a year to work out why I was not getting faster. Even stumped my coach for a while.
I also saw a benefit in taking my 750mg XR Metformin morning and night, instead of 2x750mg in the morning.
it seemed to even things out and stop the peak I was experiencing before breakfast.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-25-21, 04:58 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
What type meds?
Originally Posted by Barry2
I had to ditch my Trulicity, it was stripping the glycogen from my muscles. Took me over a year to work out why I was not getting faster. Even stumped my coach for a while.
I also saw a benefit in taking my 750mg XR Metformin morning and night, instead of 2x750mg in the morning.
it seemed to even things out and stop the peak I was experiencing before breakfast.
Barry
PSA -- Hoping Y'all have made sure the XR is not a RECALLED VERSION???

https://www.singlecare.com/blog/news...in-recall-fda/
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-25-21, 09:44 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
borrow this from the library.

from the goodreads link's synopsis ^:

type 2 diabetes is reversible
Likes For gios:
Old 05-25-21, 10:01 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Originally Posted by gios
borrow this from the library.

from the goodreads link's synopsis ^:

type 2 diabetes is reversible
why?
Please do tell us about your experience.

All the best

Barry
Old 05-25-21, 10:40 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Please do tell us about your experience.y
Back in March 2018 I started reading Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It. A life changing read - before I finished, I cut my carbs and stopped eating sugar. Toward the end of the book is Dr. Weston's No Sugar No Starch diet and I immediately started that. About a month later I got the Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution paperback and read that. Comes with a pull out carb counter.

Subsequently, I started cooking my own meals, doing my own grocery shopping.

My wife, who has type II diabetes, saw what I was doing and cut down on hers also - no where near low carb, but it did the trick. Her A1C dropped below the 6.5 diabetes threshold while not taking metformin. She has maintained this since then.

Sad to say, the sad (standard American diet), low fat, high carbs, is the standard of care.

Watch an old movie (pre-1980s) and you'll not see lots of overweight people. The government's low fat dogma pretty much started in the late 70s with McGoverns Dietary Guidelines (that continue to this day), and drove the food that is sold in grocery stores (high sugar, low fat, high carbs). Through inertia it continues to this day, and if your Doc isn't raising the red flag, s/he's misinformed.

McGovern's Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs Versus the Meat Industry on the Diet-Heart Question (1976–1977)
Likes For gios:
Old 05-25-21, 11:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
NOTE ON GENERIC METFORMIN:

I have had many patients that could not stomach Generic Metformin of any kind; yet when switched over to Brand Name Glucophage had no problems. The only commonality that I have witnessed is the smell of the Metformin when you open the bottle. They state when it smells kinda fishy they have a problem with it. Often the generic metformin smells fishy straight from the pharmacy, and a few patients have taken the bottles back, shown the pharmacist and have been reimbursed. There are a few others that the smell is intermittent. That is there are days when thier metformin smells bad and other days that the same bottle dose not. One thing that does persist is that when the metformin smells bad bloating and nausea follow. I have searched this side effect in the medical literature and although mentioned it is not labelled as significant. Also remember that metformin is excreted through the kidneys unchanged so hydration is an absolute must. Another thing to remember is that metformin helps insulin get in and out of your cells and effects the liver telling it to not make extra sugar when not needed.

I am only mentioning it here for you'se guys to have another tid-bit of information for that useless sheet file in the back of your brains... Ha

As to the OP... BRAVO... Tomm has found a way to ride without damage or danger... FANTASTIC!

Edit 2021-05-26: Was talking to other providers this AM about this thread. One of the Docs noted... Type2 Diabetic that's an athlete... Now that's rare... Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 05-26-21 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-26-21, 01:32 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'm a type 2 diabetic and although there is no cure for diabetes, it can be controlled. I eat a keto diet and I lost 50 lbs and got my A1C from 8.9 to 4.7. I am doing a 140-mile ride coming up in a few weeks and I take Dang Bars, Bacon Jerkey, Macadamia Nuts, Nuun drops for electrolytes, and I manage to not bonk.

I've done this ride before and at lunch, my wife brought me a steak salad for lunch. All the other riders told me, "dude, you've got to carb up or you are going to die". I did just fine eating low carb all day.
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 10-04-21, 12:50 AM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I'm a type 2 diabetic and although there is no cure for diabetes, it can be controlled. I eat a keto diet and I lost 50 lbs and got my A1C from 8.9 to 4.7. I am doing a 140-mile ride coming up in a few weeks and I take Dang Bars, Bacon Jerkey, Macadamia Nuts, Nuun drops for electrolytes, and I manage to not bonk.

I've done this ride before and at lunch, my wife brought me a steak salad for lunch. All the other riders told me, "dude, you've got to carb up or you are going to die". I did just fine eating low carb all day.

Same here with the Keto. Been doing just fine with consumption of Sam's Angus Bacon & Aged Cheddar Beef patties 6-1/3 Pound 100% Angus Beef patties per box., $8.97 per box. 3-min and 40-sec in the microwave in a covered bowl. No flipping.. Simple, and easy.

Eat one every time I get hungry. Sometimes I skip a day from eating at all. Sometimes I eat 6 per day. Keep the same weight at 190-lbs and have loads of energy. Type II diabetic for 45-years now.

Just stuck myself, 154 mg/dl. This after consuming three patties (450 calories each and 350 calories from fat) since 10:20 p.m., it is now 1:59 a.m. CST now.

So, the beef patties are all that I eat. No carbs, no treats, no candy, no hamburgers, no fries, no mac-n-cheese, no fruits, no vegetables, no dairy.

Not a blast, but have been off the insulin and metformin for 6-months now. A good daily vitamin and copious amounts of coffee.

Everyone is different, would not suggest that anyone try this, and I am not cured, however I am managing it without drugs.

The body burns glucose, and that is what carbs supply. The body also burns fat, that is what the patties provide, and a good multi-vitamin (Pure Essence Labs One-n-Only once a day).

Sometimes I drink Organic Irish Breakfast Tea, no milk, no sugar.

Seems to be working OK.

Oh, and I ride 12.7 miles in the morning, and 12.7 miles in the afternoon, for ~25-miles per day, 7-days per week, and also on the bike (Minoura 850 RDA) while I watch Amazon flicks as a warm up before rides (15-minutes).

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Last edited by Cyclist0105; 10-04-21 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-07-21, 05:28 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
I read as much material as I could over the last 3 years on nutrition in my weight loss journey. I am not trying to give advice either but I have seen many references to reversing type 2 diabetes during my journey. I would highly encourage anyone suffering to study the subject with an open mind. Some very prominent doctors say reversal is possible. Please don't just dismiss the possibility by thinking you have already looked into it. Your info could very well be outdated. Good luck and I wish the best for you.
Old 12-20-21, 10:35 AM
ckelly_22

Bikes: Giant Contend AR 4, Specialized Crossroads 2.0, Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
i found out about 8 years ago that i was type 2, was prescribed 2-500mg metformins a day, i went on a diet and lost about 45lbs. i have gained back about 20lbs but i am no longer on metformin, i am able to control it through exercise, not my diet- because my diet sucks. the risk i am taking is that if for some reason i am no longer able to exercise then i will either have to change my diet or i will end up back on medication. i do not believe there is a cure for it or that it is reversible, i think there are ways to control it but if you go back to being overweight and eating a diet that is overloaded with sugar you will be back in the same shape you were in before. this is just my opinion, i hope to never find out whether that is true or not.
Old 12-28-21, 04:25 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ckelly_22
i found out about 8 years ago that i was type 2, was prescribed 2-500mg metformins a day, i went on a diet and lost about 45lbs. i have gained back about 20lbs but i am no longer on metformin, i am able to control it through exercise, not my diet- because my diet sucks. the risk i am taking is that if for some reason i am no longer able to exercise then i will either have to change my diet or i will end up back on medication. i do not believe there is a cure for it or that it is reversible, i think there are ways to control it but if you go back to being overweight and eating a diet that is overloaded with sugar you will be back in the same shape you were in before. this is just my opinion, i hope to never find out whether that is true or not.
From my limited research I see that diet is the key. Yes, if you go back to a bad diet the condition comes back. My understanding is that constant triggering of insulin into your body causes your body to build up insulin resistance. A bad diet is one that causes more insulin and more frequent release of insulin, which is needed to lower blood sugar. A diet that helps to keep blood sugar levels steady will help the body to become less resistant to insulin and in time reduce the amount of insulin needed to lower blood sugar.

Just like an addict of any kind can build up a tolerance with more exposure or lessen tolerance by reducing exposure, anyone can reduce insulin resistance by following a diet of low glycemic foods. It takes time and it isn't easy when you are marketed the exact opposite.

What sucks about your diet, and why can't you find a way to eat that you enjoy, that doesn't suck nutritionally speaking?
Old 03-30-23, 04:26 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by bramo
Did anyone take any other meds, except Metformin and insulin? I've been recently diagnosed with Type 2, so I want to find out all possible solutions.
T2 here - my numbers at diagnosis were very bad, A1C 12.2... here is my opinion on a possible solution, a solution that worked for me - everyone is different.

Started with Metformin 2x1000 (made me very ill), resisted insulin.

I learned and read everything I could about the condition.

Non medicine solution that works for some:
-Diet, diet, diet, diet - then exercise. Get a cheap meter and a bunch of cheap test strips - test before eating, one and two hours after eating. If a food makes your numbers high - don't eat that food anymore. For me, that means being a keto person, for life. With small amounts of carbs to supplement intense cycling, non-intense cycling is fueled by fat.

Carbs, any carbs in any form - sugar, grains, beans, pasta, fruit - any form of carbs will raise your blood sugar. If you want a solution without meds - don't eat these foods.

Opinion (if your pancreas works, this may work for you):
-This is a disease of insulin resistance. Simply adding more insulin makes the disease worse and ultimately progressive.
-Insulin brings low's into the equation. Lows can kill you dead - fast.
-Address the root cause of insulin resistance. Lose fat around your pancreas and liver, improve lean muscle mass, improve mitochondrial function by doing tons of Zone 2 exercise
-Heal your body

4 years medicine and diabetes free. The first year was hard, very hard, now i'm on cruise control. I know what to eat, what not to eat - what's required to fuel bike rides and training. It can be done.
Old 03-30-23, 04:31 AM
Peevess

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey guys. Today I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. Tbh, I am feeling frustrated and don't know what to do.
Old 04-02-23, 11:54 AM
Peevess

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My friend says it's possible to control diabetes with diet, hope it helps.
Old 04-02-23, 02:26 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

By diet alone requires a lot of commitment.
I certainly can’t do it.

Barry
Old 04-03-23, 04:17 AM
Jughed

By diet alone requires a lot of commitment.
I certainly can’t do it.

Barry
Insulin use takes a lot of commitment as well. Personally, I can't do that.
Old 04-03-23, 05:55 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by Jughed
Insulin use takes a lot of commitment as well. Personally, I can't do that.
Is Type 2 even treated with insulin ?

Barry
Old 04-03-23, 06:23 AM
Jughed

Is Type 2 even treated with insulin ?

Barry
The majority of insulin use is by T2 people - T2 far outnumbers T1, and 30% of T2 are on insulin. It's almost 3 to1 T2 vs T1 in terms of use.

Without extreme diet and exercise, I would require insulin. For me, its much easier to control what goes into my mouth vs testing/chasing numbers all day, and having the worry about going low (which is very dangerous)
Old 04-03-23, 08:07 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

QUOTE=Jughed;22848606]The majority of insulin use is by T2 people - T2 far outnumbers T1[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand your numbers?
T1 people don’t produce insulin. The treatment is injected insulin.
How could T2 insulin users outnumber T1 insulin users.

Barry

Edit: I’ve puzzled over this and wonder if T2 in the population significantly outnumber T1

Last edited by Barry2; 04-03-23 at 08:12 AM.
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-03-23, 08:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
The majority of insulin use is by T2 people - T2 far outnumbers T1

Barry

Edit: I’ve puzzled over this and wonder if T2 in the population significantly outnumber T1
It's not a hard thing to find with a simple search...
Do more people have type 2 or type 1 diabetes?
More than 37 million Americans have diabetes (about 1 in 10), and approximately 90-95% of them have type 2 diabetes.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-03-23, 08:42 AM
Jughed

QUOTE=Jughed;22848606]The majority of insulin use is by T2 people - T2 far outnumbers T1

Barry

Edit: I’ve puzzled over this and wonder if T2 in the population significantly outnumber T1[/QUOTE]

Very few T1'out there, very many T2'. Like 30x the amount.

And 30-40% of T2s are on insulin of some sort.
Old 04-25-23, 01:28 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
i was diagnosed at the end of 2022. pretty unhappy about it.