Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

I give up

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

I give up

Old 06-10-21, 12:57 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked 2,265 Times in 1,462 Posts
I give up

I have been trying to evict these birds I think they are swallows but they are persistent I have on music very load and an industrial barn fan making noise and me sitting in there with a sud. No deterrent whatsoever so after awhile I began to admire those birds for being fearless and determined so WTH they can have their nest. I will put a carpet underneath to catch the bird poop. I keep the garage door open at night so the cats can get in if they need to so the birds can move freely. It will be cool to see them eventually lay eggs and hatch chicks. I知 a sucker for creatures lol.

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-10-21, 01:11 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2538 Post(s)
Liked 2,565 Times in 1,308 Posts
When I get the urge to watch a birds nest, I just watch this: https://osprey-camera.click2stream.com
It is located at Shadow Mountain Lake in CO.
I rode the (motor)bike past there a couple days ago.
It looks like a pizza pan at the top of a pole with a diagonal rod coming off at a 45 degree angle to hold the camera.
The camera mount has a remote control for aiming and zooming in/out.

Earlier this year we had an eagle cam in Westminster CO, but the massive weight of the nest was more than the old dead tree could take, and it collapsed and killed the fledgling.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 06-10-21, 02:09 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 51 Posts
I would advise against allowing any wild animal to take up residence in/on your home. They can cause more damage than you think and most of the time prevention is much less expensive than repair. I recently had these 2 flickers (a type of woodpecker) peck a hole in my eaves. I tried to scare them off as best I could but it didn't work because they would just come back. I finally had to "eliminate" them. Repairing that hole was a real pain.
Old 06-10-21, 02:28 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 154 Posts

search "owl decoy" on amazon.
Old 06-10-21, 02:30 PM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by fettsvenska View Post
I would advise against allowing any wild animal to take up residence in/on your home. They can cause more damage than you think and most of the time prevention is much less expensive than repair. I recently had these 2 flickers (a type of woodpecker) peck a hole in my eaves. I tried to scare them off as best I could but it didn't work because they would just come back. I finally had to "eliminate" them. Repairing that hole was a real pain.
Northern Flickers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_flicker

One of those bastards used to come around every spring, hammering on my roof in the morning.
It sounded exactly like someone holding an air impact chisel against the house,
and scared the bejeezus out of me every time it started.
I'd go outside and throw pebbles at him to chase him away.
He hasn't come around in a couple years, but I hear him occasionally elsewhere in the neighborhood.
A neighbor lady had a hole punched through her siding.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 06-10-21, 02:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Heckle and Jeckle won’t cause any damage. Now I’m not letting a bobcat take up residence in my garage They will be ok I will let them raise their young then kick them out. They pay rent with bird poop lol. I put up mesh wiring in the barn so birds and squirrels won’t make that their residence. I get what you are saying just making an exception for these two only. Now I guess Heckle is the male and Jeckle is the female or it doesn’t matter lol. I have a metal pipe chimney some friends had a regular chimney didn’t secure the entrance and a group of raccoons had a party when they were on vacation. Thousands in damage. Armadillos get evicted immediately those will tear up your yard..
Old 06-10-21, 02:39 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10658 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,856 Posts
I have been fighting a squirrel or two... they found a spot only they could get to... at the eves of my house are attic vent holes, about an 1 1/2 in. in diameter, and most of them have strong metal screens in them. Well either this set of vents did not have metal, or the squirrels were damned determined... they have managed to enlarge the hole to a good 2 inches or more. The problem I have is that the eve comes out over a metal curved awning over my front door... the eve board was trimmed to fit over the awning... so there is no space for me to reach in there and access the vent holes to properly plug them. (I can only see this by looking through a side gap at the damage, about 3 feet in) And the whole arrangement is over a high ceiling front entry vestibule, about 20 feet off the floor. (yeah, dramatic entry) In the attic itself, this area is all but completely boarded off from the inside, due to the high ceiling and narrow eve.

So bottom line, I can't get to this from outside (unless I remove the whole awning... which would require a small crane) and I can't get to this thing from the inside... But the squirrels can simply drop a few inches from the roof, onto the awning, go around the gap, and get to the chewed up vent behind the eve trim board. They got into the walls.

My next approach was going to be to remove the drywall inside and board everything up. Lots of messy work. I may still just rent a small crane (need 400 LB capacity, at least).

But in the mean time, after some reading on the interwebz, I discovered that squirrels do not like capsaicin. So my short term solution has been to drill a few 3/8s holes into the wall, into the cavity where the squirrels have come in. I use a soda straw and fill it with chili powder and blow it into various holes I drilled into the wall. (done at various angles, in an effort to "coat" the inside of the wall) I also took some Vaseline and mixed it with chili powder and with a small paintbrush, taped to a long pole, I have "painted" the top of the awning and all around the vent hole. I just smeared that stuff everywhere. This seems to have held off the squirrel invasion for the moment. But I suspect squirrels have short memories and will try to get in again when the weather gets cool.

The first sign I had that squirrels were in the wall was by seeing pink insulation on the ground outside the front door... uh oh. I could hear them inside the wall too, until I did the chili powder thing.

So, unlike Hondo, I have not given up... but I know I will have to bring in "heavy artillery" (light crane) to ultimately resolve this. Just the rental of the crane alone is several hundred dollars for a few hours... damn squirrels!
Likes For genec:
Old 06-10-21, 02:50 PM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by genec View Post
But in the mean time, after some reading on the interwebz, I discovered that squirrels do not like capsaicin.
Some years back, I had damned rabbits digging holes under my drive, under my patio, and under my porch.
So I did some googling and found the suggestion of putting moth balls in the holes.

So I tossed some in the hole under the patio.

Next morning they were about 3' feet away in the yard.
I tossed them back in.

Next morning back out in the yard.

The rabbits and I kept this up for a week until I finally bought some bricks and stacked them in front of the hole.
Then I hired a mudjacker to fill in all the holes under the drive, patio, and porch.
(Patio slab was sinking and needed leveling.)
Old 06-10-21, 02:52 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 56 Posts
Probably swallows

You may notice less misquotes. Swallows are good neighbors.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 06-10-21, 03:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Yup, have a few bats flying around and with the wet month we had mosquitoes everywhere. Bats are very welcomed.
Old 06-10-21, 03:08 PM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Yup, have a few bats flying around and with the wet month we had mosquitoes everywhere. Bats are very welcomed.
For the past 4 years, I've had a guest living part time in my porch, but I have not seen him yet this year:
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 06-10-21, 03:15 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I have been trying to evict these birds I think they are swallows but they are persistent I have on music very load and an industrial barn fan making noise and me sitting in there with a sud. No deterrent whatsoever so after awhile I began to admire those birds for being fearless and determined so WTH they can have their nest. I will put a carpet underneath to catch the bird poop. I keep the garage door open at night so the cats can get in if they need to so the birds can move freely. It will be cool to see them eventually lay eggs and hatch chicks. I知 a sucker for creatures lol.

Also a sucker for creatures.

I like raptors, especially owls.

One place I go I usually spook a great horned owl when I知 there. I値l see a big shadow, twirl to find it leaving. Really pretty bird.

Something to be said for being quiet most of your life. I知 not that wise yet.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-10-21, 03:40 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Owls are the local mascot lol …

Owls #1 lol..
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-10-21, 06:46 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 287 Posts
If you had a lot of recent rain, or if there's a nearby river/creek with mud, then your home's wall is prime real estate for swallows to set up housekeeping. Swallows are quire social birds, so that single nest this year may turn into a colony in the next few years; one pile of poop may be tolerable now, but a whole wall of it will be a nightmare. On the positive side they do eat a lot of mosquitos during the day, and the bats take care of the night time insect population.
Likes For skidder:
Old 06-10-21, 11:03 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Yup many muddy tanks with building materials didn’t think birds would cause such a ruckus.. Chingo they are just birds Ain’t going to let them move in like housing projects Heckle and Jeckle are too determined to by denied housing in my upscale garage soon thousands will be swarming and I will have to call the housing authority to get the permit to evict the birds. Oh chit I forgot I live in the boonies no zoning no restrictions WTF I can do whatever I want? I think one of the birds is from Mexico I’m having fun with y’all don’t take it too seriously…
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-11-21, 04:14 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 401 Posts
I'm in the country, and pest/vermin control is de rigueur here. Birds want to nest everywhere and leave their mud and craps everywhere. Mice get into my power equipment and make nests and chew up wiring. Chipmunks burrow under my walks and stone walls and undermine the solidity of my stone walls. Hornets and wasps love to build nests under the eaves of my house. Ants love my lawn. I kill 'em off and they just keep coming. I'm up to 23 chipmunks so far this year. I will clean out a few using the bucket-o-death technique, wait a week and they'll be back in full force and I catch a half a dozen more. The upside is that I catch a few mice along the way.

I'm a real softie, and that's the trouble. It breaks my heart to kill God's creatures, even bugs, but sometimes you got to take a stand. They are all beautiful and wonderful and delightful and cute, but when they insist on entering my home, or destroying my property, then they become vermin and I have no qualms about eradication.
Old 06-11-21, 10:04 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
I'm in the country, and pest/vermin control is de rigueur here. Birds want to nest everywhere and leave their mud and craps everywhere. Mice get into my power equipment and make nests and chew up wiring. Chipmunks burrow under my walks and stone walls and undermine the solidity of my stone walls. Hornets and wasps love to build nests under the eaves of my house. Ants love my lawn. I kill 'em off and they just keep coming. I'm up to 23 chipmunks so far this year. I will clean out a few using the bucket-o-death technique, wait a week and they'll be back in full force and I catch a half a dozen more. The upside is that I catch a few mice along the way.

I'm a real softie, and that's the trouble. It breaks my heart to kill God's creatures, even bugs, but sometimes you got to take a stand. They are all beautiful and wonderful and delightful and cute, but when they insist on entering my home, or destroying my property, then they become vermin and I have no qualms about eradication.
We had a thing for awhile at work with people feeding stray cats.

If you love them that much, please adopt them and take them home.

If you think they are so great at ratting, why are you feeding them?

So definitely a thing to be said for animals in the right place, and that place not being where they are going to poop in my dry sweep or pee in our parts area.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-11-21, 01:45 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 10658 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,856 Posts
Oh I get to deal with this guy too... he goes after my bird feeders... one of which is held together with a C clamp, the other, a hummingbird feeder, he seems to bat around for the sugar water... I have found his sticky footprints on the deck the next morning.

One quiet afternoon, I spied him moving about... I had never seen him before, just the footprints. I grabbed my phone and walked right out there... and this raccoon gives me the "don't bother me" look and just goes on with his business...

Likes For genec:
Old 06-11-21, 03:07 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2004 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 618 Posts
Feral Cats are organic killing machines ... the next time you see a FREE KITTEN sign take a few kitties home and feedM til they grow up and can hunt ... from then on they will kill anything that moves
Old 06-12-21, 08:15 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 145 Posts
Yes, I am a chipmunk serial killer, there, I said it. It's got to be in the hundreds by now. No bait needed in the trap, I know their habits running along the porch. And I've seen plenty of night time front porch fires around town started in the porch lights by the invasive species English Sparrow, not so much now a days with the advent of more low heat build up LED fixtures. Their very messy nests get torn down wherever I can. The Robins get a pass on a capstone on my porch protected from storms because their mud and grass nest is neat and well built and we like to watch the process. And you can just pick it up in one piece and dispose of it when they are done for the season.
Old 06-12-21, 01:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

At Theodore Roosevelt NP up in North Dakota they have prairie dogs all over the place .. watching the coyotes wait patiently over the hole until the dog sticks it’s head out and instant dinner. Notorious cattle and horse leg breakers from prairie dog holes. My outside cats take care of rodents they love baby rabbits the best. But they seldom eat a baby rabbit. There is no shortage in the local rabbit population. Nature is cruel and understanding that makes it better.
Old 06-12-21, 01:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 786 Posts
My previous house had no gutters and dry rot in the lapped wood siding. The inspector told us we should get gutters. We did and the squirrels and rats climbed up the gutters into the very large attic, and I battled them the next five years til we moved out

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-12-21 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-12-21, 03:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Heckle and Jeckle I guess deserve a house warming party I’m done with manual labor for the day so a few cold ones before the neighbors looking to see who is having a beer and y’all know what happens next. Beer parties pop up like unforecast thunder storms.. lol

Old 06-12-21, 04:44 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 323 Posts
That's a mighty fine foot-soakin' cooler.
Old 06-13-21, 08:09 AM
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
We had a thing for awhile at work with people feeding stray cats.

If you love them that much, please adopt them and take them home.

If you think they are so great at ratting, why are you feeding them?

So definitely a thing to be said for animals in the right place, and that place not being where they are going to poop in my dry sweep or pee in our parts area.
Cats are killers. That goes without saying, but cats get lazy and stop killing, so if you got yourself a cat or two for rodent control, eventually they stop killing and are content to watch the wee beasties just run around in circles around them. If you want efficient and long-lasting rat control, get yourself a Boston Terrier or a rat terrier and train them to do what they were bred for. Those dogs will tirelessly kill rats until they cant walk anymore. Better yet, get a mink.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright ゥ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.