Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Having a tough time deciding between 2 jobs

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 06-25-21, 03:22 PM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts

I have 2 offers on the table right now. Job 1 is 15 minutes from home and has a livable wage, plenty of room for advancement. Job 2 is close to an hour away, is much more physical and difficult, but it pays 30% more.

My instincts tell me to take Job 1, for more than the reasons above, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to say "no" to more money right off the bat. I've done a cost benefit analysis and job 1 edges out job 2, but again, I'm second guessing myself because of the money.

Any wise words from my more experienced peers? Or you could just tell me I'm being an idiot.
Old 06-25-21, 03:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13728 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,349 Posts
Personally, quality of life is more important than money. No way would I (presumably) drive close to an hour (on a good day) for the difference in pay, especially if there is room for advancement in No. 1. But that’s me. What you can tolerate depends on you.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-25-21, 04:36 PM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5428 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,619 Posts
30% is significant.

So the question you have to ask yourself - balanced against that significant loss of QoL - is the money need or greed?
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 06-25-21, 04:56 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 278 Posts
It would be rude to suggest you're an idiot. You haven't given us a lot to go on, and we (I) don't know you well enough to understand what you're job-related motivations might be. Here are some considerations from my experience.

1) I once had an offer to go which would have been 20% increase in pay. I was also holding options which hadn't matured and their paper value was about 2/3 year salary.
What is the reputation for each company? Are they prime for a takeover?
I stuck it out. Partially because I'm a small-town guy and I like to do outdoor things. Moving to accept the new job would have meant increases in cost of living as well as real estate.
In the end, we got bought out. Not too long afterward, the CEO was featured in the series "American Greed" and began to wear an orange suit. The stock price tanked and as the options matured, their value was in the red.
The good news is that I ignored the options and the company eventually converted them to stock at their cost. So I ended up with enough money to buy a used Ti bike.

2) Are the job duties the same? It seems like option "b" is more grueling and the additional commute does not help. What is the worst case scenario? Additional hours? And at whose expense (i.e. is this salaried?)?
Seems like option "a" has better work-life balance. This should not be overlooked.
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 06-25-21, 05:06 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 586 Posts
When I took my present job (my first and only one since grad school) it was because i saw good personal challenges with the chances for advancement (I’m now a full partner), a woman owner who i knew would be, and is, a wonderful mentor and especially the satisfaction of the work itself and the working with the people I do. Since that is what’s important to me the benefits and increasing salary has always meant much less....that's just my perspective on it.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 06-26-21 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 06-25-21, 06:23 PM
BenzFanatic

Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
30% is significant.

So the question you have to ask yourself - balanced against that significant loss of QoL - is the money need or greed?
Definitely more greed than need, but I do think there's something to be said for feeling undervalued, which I would in the lower paying position.

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
2) Are the job duties the same? It seems like option "b" is more grueling and the additional commute does not help. What is the worst case scenario? Additional hours? And at whose expense (i.e. is this salaried?)?
Seems like option "a" has better work-life balance. This should not be overlooked.
Job duties are very different, just the same general field. The lower paying job would likely have more hours, at least ~1/3 of the year, but both are hourly and pay typical overtime pay after 40hrs. I guess the worst case scenario with the higher paying job is that I'm outside all the time. Worst case scenario in the lower paying job is a few 60 hr weeks/year, which I'm totally used to.

Thank you all, you've given me a lot to think about. I'm definitely leaning towards the less paying job.
Old 06-25-21, 06:32 PM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5428 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,619 Posts
If you really want to feel undervalued, get married and have some children.
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 06-25-21, 06:34 PM
BenzFanatic

Oof. You're getting too real over here.
Likes For BenzFanatic:
Old 06-25-21, 06:38 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Originally Posted by BenzFanatic View Post
Definitely more greed than need, but I do think there's something to be said for feeling undervalued, which I would in the lower paying position.
What do you mean about undervalued? Is this position "beneath" your ability-level? Or do you perceive the position to be judged as "beneath" your ability/skill? In other words, will you be sandbagging? If so, it isn't the end of the world as long as there is upward mobility.
Old 06-25-21, 06:40 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

For the record, you said that out loud. Not just to yourself.
Old 06-25-21, 06:42 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16094 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 1,056 Posts
Which one will serve as the better stepping stone to yet another better than either job.
Old 06-25-21, 06:43 PM
BenzFanatic

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
What do you mean about undervalued? Is this position "beneath" your ability-level? Or do you perceive the position to be judged as "beneath" your ability/skill? In other words, will you be sandbagging? If so, it isn't the end of the world as long as there is upward mobility.
I strictly mean monetarily. Nothing is beneath me I wouldn't put it in those terms, but I do perceive it as being minimally challenging. There is definitely upward mobility there.
Old 06-25-21, 06:44 PM
BenzFanatic

Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Which one will serve as the better stepping stone to yet another better than either job.
Ooh good point. Either would be valuable experience but I do feel that the less paying job would be a better stepping stone, and do more for rounding out my experience.
Likes For BenzFanatic:
Old 06-25-21, 07:05 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 283 Posts
I have 2 offers on the table right now. Job 1 is 15 minutes from home and has a livable wage, plenty of room for advancement. Job 2 is close to an hour away, is much more physical and difficult, but it pays 30% more.

My instincts tell me to take Job 1, for more than the reasons above, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to say "no" to more money right off the bat. I've done a cost benefit analysis and job 1 edges out job 2, but again, I'm second guessing myself because of the money.

Any wise words from my more experienced peers? Or you could just tell me I'm being an idiot.
Did the recruiter tell you this? After 35 years of employment, and hearing that line many times, I wouldn't trust it. If job one can supply you with some experience you can sell to your next employer, then go for it, but I wouldn't count on that employer promoting you. Maybe job two can provide some initial pay bump while also getting you experience you can use to sell yourself to a future employer, too. Tough call and I'd need more info to make a decision if it was me.

Overall: Can you get hold of each company's annual financial report (if they are public companies) to see if its growing, holding steady, or in a tough industry that'll see some 'adjustments in size' in the future? In today's world you should always consider yourself a contract employee who can be let go at any time for any reason.
Old 06-25-21, 08:12 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 114 Posts
I'm about to hit 15 years working at a company that under pays me (and everyone else) but I've stayed because the work is fine and it's 15 minutes away. You will be saving 1.5 hours each day with Job #1. If there is room for advancement you can spend that extra time working your way up the food chain. If a couple of years doesn't bear fruit, you can always jump then.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 06-25-21, 08:53 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 2,256 Times in 1,457 Posts
I’m a college educated Burro I’m physically wrecked but I had and wanted to work the land and I did. $ eventually came my way so it worked out. Not rich but I’m far from poor so my unconventional life worked out. I’m lucky I did and do everything on my own terms with some sacrifices. When I got over materialism I became much happier and a hell of a lot more financially secure. When a suburbanite lectures me about conservation I say welcome to the party rookie
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-25-21, 09:41 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 154 Posts
Trust your instinct. Job 1.

What I've learned in more working years than you have on the planet is taking a worse job for more pay just makes you miserable. Your gut seems to have told you job 1 is the one.

Use the 1.5 hours you'll save on commuting each day to work on your skills (and ride your bike).
Likes For stevel610:
Old 06-25-21, 11:45 PM
BenzFanatic

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Did the recruiter tell you this? After 35 years of employment, and hearing that line many times, I wouldn't trust it. If job one can supply you with some experience you can sell to your next employer, then go for it, but I wouldn't count on that employer promoting you. Maybe job two can provide some initial pay bump while also getting you experience you can use to sell yourself to a future employer, too. Tough call and I'd need more info to make a decision if it was me.

Overall: Can you get hold of each company's annual financial report (if they are public companies) to see if its growing, holding steady, or in a tough industry that'll see some 'adjustments in size' in the future? In today's world you should always consider yourself a contract employee who can be let go at any time for any reason.
I usually wouldn't trust the promises of advancement, and I don't in the case of Job 2. But, at job 1, it seems genuine. When I asked them about that they pretty much laid out a 5-10 year plan of advancement for me. All 3 of the people above me started in my potential position.

Both companies are established, thriving and have great projected growth.

Job 1 got in touch this evening with their official offer, which was less than we talked about and borderline insulting. I gave them my flat out bottom line, and if they can't reach it, I'll really have no other choice.

However, I also learned that the owner of Job 2 is kind of a family friend, which neither of us realized initially.

If Job 1 comes up to my minimum, I think I'll take it. It seems like a better fit, and I loathe commuting. I live a fairly simple life, and while more money would be nice right now, it's not entirely necessary. If they can't, well, I need a job, so I'll take number 2 and hope for the best.
Old 06-26-21, 09:49 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 153 Posts

Thoughts.

If I could tell my younger self something about work... “Right away, find if pretty much everyone in management is related to each other. Find out if kissing up and/or who you know is more valuable than good work (It usually is). Never give your all. Give 60-80% and advance yourself (either with your own employer or something like getting a degree on their time) with the rest.

I really dislike driving.

However, I think Ziglar said “If you have to commute, make your car a university.”

Have a fat audible and podcast collection.
Old 06-26-21, 09:55 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

However, I also learned that the owner of Job 2 is kind of a family friend, which neither of us realized initially.
Congrats! Your ticket to mid level management.
Old 06-26-21, 10:14 AM
BenzFanatic

Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
Congrats! Your ticket to mid level management.
If I end up at the other job, I'll just start sleeping my way to the top.
Likes For BenzFanatic:
Old 06-26-21, 10:24 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

If I end up at the other job, I'll just start sleeping my way to the top.
All the Hollywood starlets that auditioned for a second movie after knowing the price of admission.

Things that make you go “Hmmm...”
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-26-21, 10:47 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight (for sale), Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6, Focus Mares.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 490 Posts
Wisdom: Time is invaluable.
2nd Wisdom: Work is a good chunk of your life. Don't pick a job you'll dislike.
3rd Wisdom: More income does increase happiness, up to a point. Then it doesn't. I don't know where you are on that scale.

What about relocating for job #2?
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-26-21, 10:58 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 598 Posts
You'll pollute less if you take the closer job.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-26-21, 11:26 AM
BenzFanatic

Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Wisdom: Time is invaluable.
2nd Wisdom: Work is a good chunk of your life. Don't pick a job you'll dislike.
3rd Wisdom: More income does increase happiness, up to a point. Then it doesn't. I don't know where you are on that scale.

What about relocating for job #2?
Statistically I'm approaching the "more money won't necessarily increase happiness" range. Job 2 would put me into that category. Job 1 would allow me to survive with some creature comforts and maybe save ~10% of my salary.

My lease is up in August, so relocating is an option, but I live literally less than a mile from my best friends, and I really don't want to change that. They're my family.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.