Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Veloce. What’s it worth? Any opinions?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-21, 03:47 PM
Shari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello everyone

I’ve been tasked with selling this bike for a friend. I have no idea what it’s worth and I don’t know a thing about it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-01-21, 04:41 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Looks to be in decent shape and a popular size. Do you happen to know the frame size? Looks like a 58 or 59cm to me, but angles and such can be deceiving.

Also, location matters. Where will this be listed? Locally? Where's that? Ebay?

Some markets get a premium right off the bat.
Old 07-01-21, 05:32 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Like TugaDude said

Location is key and are you willing to ship.

I would put on CL and set the price at $400.00 and see what happens

Good Luck !!
Old 07-01-21, 06:22 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
Like TugaDude said

Location is key and are you willing to ship.

I would put on CL and set the price at $400.00 and see what happens

Good Luck !!

Ditto on $400 - its a lugged Campagnolo (albeit lower end , Stratos or Mirage level ) equipped Bianchi. If it was cleaned up a bit and ready to ride , $500 would be a fair initial asking price although for 5 bills celeste coloring would be more desirable --- but the surface corrosion would need to be cleaned off everything (chain, stem , allen bolt recesses etc ) and the frame could use a nice coat of wax or polish. Plus that the tires look ready to go though
Old 07-01-21, 06:26 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Its a desirable bike, properly cleaned and polished it should go easily for $600.
Old 07-01-21, 06:28 PM
Shari

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’m not sure what size it is at the moment. But it looks like a larger bike. It is located in New Holstein Wisconsin, so not sure if that is a popular bike area … probably not. As far as shipping, I’m guessing the guy would rather just sell it local. Thanks for all your input so far.
Old 07-01-21, 08:36 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
I think the bike would go for more like 250-300 in it's current state, and I don't think it would move quickly, but you never know, can't hurt to start higher.

I don't think the location helps at all. Color isn't as desirable as celeste and the components aren't top of the line Campy like others have said. Also isn't super clean and shows rust, so the most likely customer would be people looking for a deal/project.

Have it all fixed up and ready to go (new bar tape for sure, fix the rusted parts, fresh brake pads/cables). Then I could see 500 maybe, but it'll take a while, can't hurt to start there though and if no bites move lower. Even though the groupset is lower end, it's pretty attractive. Now is the time to sell, don't wait too long to drop the price if you're not getting bites, maybe a week, then -50. It's a nice bike and there's definitely a buyer for it.

Just as a comp, I sold a nearly immaculate LeMond Alpe D'Huez with Campy Mirage for about 475 if I remember right, but I'm in a better market and it still took a little while for it to move, but it also wasn't peak riding season like now. Bianchi might have a slightly better brand name, but condition of this one is worse than the LeMond.
Old 07-01-21, 09:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Do you know when the bike was last ridden?

If you are willing to do a quick tune-up for the friend, then you may well be in the > $400 range, maybe even $500, and have a bike that will sell.

New chain.
New bar tape.
New chainring bolts (these seem unmarked, so I'd probably replace... stainless?)
Scrubbing.
Make sure it shifts, brakes, and tires are usable.... rides.
The outer ring looks new, but the inner ring looks like it has had a fair amount of wear (less visible with current orientation of pedals). I know people like everything to line up, but I'd rotate the ring by 1 bolt if it was mine.

Make sure you advertise "Made in Italy"
I see "Mirage" on the front derailleur. I don't know if that is the whole groupset.
You probably have $50 worth of parts if you are budget wise.

I'd like to do a teardown and lube everything, but it may not be necessary. Just let the buyer know what has and hasn't been done.
Old 07-02-21, 04:34 AM
Shari

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your input in trying to figure out what this bike is, what repairs need to be done, and how much it’s worth. Thank you for all the helpful info.
Old 07-02-21, 07:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Size: Likely a 59 or 60 cm.
Repairs that won't require you to take it to a shop::
(1) Replace chain with SRAM PC-830. Inexpensive and it'll work fine. All you'll need is a simple "bicycle chain breaker" from Walmart ($12).
(2) Take an auto paint restorer (like "Color Back") or the like. Clean the frame with Windex or any general cleaner and a rag. Then rub on and buff out the oxidation on the paint. You'll get a nice shine back.
(3) Go over any fastener that has surface rust. Using some phosphoric acid cleaner (like Zapp, or similar), and wearing gloves, apply with Q-tip carefully, and allow a few minutes to work. Go over with several Q-tips until surface rust is gone.
(4) Clean the rims/spokes/hub shell with any good all-purpose cleaner to remove dust or grime.
(5) (optional) Order the least expensive synthetic cork handlebar tape (red) that you can find on eBay, AliExpress, or elsewhere. Don't pay over $10. Watch a few YouTube videos on how to remove and replace bar tape and give it a go. You'll do fine.

You've just added $50-80 to the value of the bike.

You'll have to check that the shifting works correctly and that the brakes work. If you encounter problems, then come back to this thread and ask for help. We can talk you through it. Good luck PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-02-21, 08:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Chain is ugly as sin, but I think that bike is sexy as a whole. Clean it off, swap out the chain, make sure it works well. Massive selling price improvement as you'll go from folks who know how to make repairs and are looking for a bargain to folks who just want a bike to ride (a much bigger audience).
Old 07-02-21, 02:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
I'd say more in the $300 range and sell it "as is." Availability of replacement parts is currently Iffy and you will never recoup what you spend to put it right. Your likely buyer will want it for the nice steel frame, probably strip and replace the old Campy since it isn't the fancy stuff and looks pretty beat. Price it for a quick sale and move on, it's not a "hidden gem."
Old 07-03-21, 12:59 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Size: Likely a 59 or 60 cm.
Repairs that won't require you to take it to a shop::
(1) Replace chain with SRAM PC-830. Inexpensive and it'll work fine. All you'll need is a simple "bicycle chain breaker" from Walmart ($12).
(2) Take an auto paint restorer (like "Color Back") or the like. Clean the frame with Windex or any general cleaner and a rag. Then rub on and buff out the oxidation on the paint. You'll get a nice shine back.
(3) Go over any fastener that has surface rust. Using some phosphoric acid cleaner (like Zapp, or similar), and wearing gloves, apply with Q-tip carefully, and allow a few minutes to work. Go over with several Q-tips until surface rust is gone.
(4) Clean the rims/spokes/hub shell with any good all-purpose cleaner to remove dust or grime.
(5) (optional) Order the least expensive synthetic cork handlebar tape (red) that you can find on eBay, AliExpress, or elsewhere. Don't pay over $10. Watch a few YouTube videos on how to remove and replace bar tape and give it a go. You'll do fine.

You've just added $50-80 to the value of the bike.

You'll have to check that the shifting works correctly and that the brakes work. If you encounter problems, then come back to this thread and ask for help. We can talk you through it. Good luck PG
Great inputs from Phil. A clean, functioning, ready to ride bike is easier to sell. Also, highlight any new parts. Italian made Bianchis tend to get more $$ especially if Campy equipped regardless of model level.

Cheers,
Van