Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-21, 05:06 PM
dokka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello guys, first time on here. I was wondering if anyone could give me recommendations for a decent road bike that isn't too expensive. lately, I have been going on forest trails and it's so much fun. The current bike I'm using is just a standard bike I got from Walmart but I do want to upgrade to a better bike suitable for going on trails/city bike roads. My current bike is a havoc hyper mountain bike. The bike is great but every time I see other people with road bikes they seem to go way faster. I do eventually want to participate in local casual ride alongs so I think investing in a nice road bike would be ideal.
Old 07-01-21, 05:36 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
How much money do you have to spend? You can get a decent road bike for about $400 or so. Supplies are low right now for new bikes, but sometimes you get lucky and find one that works for you. Used bikes can be a great value, if you know what to look for.

My best piece of advice would be to go to some bike shops (not discount/department stores like WalMart or Target). They will have products that are a bit more expensive and MUCH better quality. Their stuff will be properly assembled. And they will be able to give you good advice and assistance.

Perhaps what you want is a true road bike, to help you take your riding to the next level. But you might also do well with a hybrid bike. These are somewhere between road and mountain bikes, and often a good choice for someone in your situation.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-02-21 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-01-21, 08:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Get a giant escape 3, entry level hybrid, it’s all you need, does the job right. Will be more robust than a road bike and closer to how you are used to riding. I’ve owned some road bikes and am back on my giant escape now, have 3 in the garage (one I got for my brother)
Old 07-01-21, 08:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Supply is VERY low, so go to all the local bike shops and buy whatever they have in your price range.

You can't be picky since there's almost no inventory to pick from.
Old 07-01-21, 09:59 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I don't know what your budget is but you can get a very good ride bike for $1000-1500.
Old 07-01-21, 10:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by dokka
lately, I have been going on forest trails and it's so much fun.
What type of trails are you riding on? Paved? Dirt? Roots? Highly technical?

You can do a little bit of riding on trails with a road bike, but it is not really optimal, especially if you go with narrow tires.

So that would give you a couple of classes of bikes:

Hybrid (road/MTB, leaning towards MTB) Also generally the cheapest.
Cyclocross (road/MTB, leaning towards road).
Gravel, Touring... more specialized "ruggedized".
Old 07-01-21, 11:07 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by CliffordK
What type of trails are you riding on? Paved? Dirt? Roots? Highly technical?

You can do a little bit of riding on trails with a road bike, but it is not really optimal, especially if you go with narrow tires.

So that would give you a couple of classes of bikes:
Hybrid (road/MTB, leaning towards MTB) Also generally the cheapest.
Cyclocross (road/MTB, leaning towards road).
Gravel, Touring... more specialized "ruggedized".
lots of hybrids these days are faster than gravel bikes, they are essentially upright road bikes with slightly wider tires
Old 07-02-21, 10:22 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Supply is VERY low, so go to all the local bike shops and buy whatever they have in your price range.

You can't be picky since there's almost no inventory to pick from.
I can kind of see where you’re coming from, but in spite of the current short supply, my advice to the OP (or anyone) is still to only buy a bike if it fits. Buying one that’s not comfortable because it’s the wrong size is never a good idea.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-02-21, 07:32 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I work at a local shop and all I will say is this. Do your research on the "must haves" for this purchase before you start shopping. Then go look around at the different options available in your area and be prepared to purchase right away when (or if) you find a bike you like. If you pass on a bike or go home to think it over, there is a very good chance the bike will be sold when you go back. I have been telling people this and some don't listen. Those folks are still looking for a bike...
Old 07-03-21, 06:57 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
If you are looking for a "do everything" bike you might consider a cyclo-cross bike. However, it's never going to be a road bike or a mountain bike. Which is why so many of us have several bikes for different purposes.
Old 07-03-21, 07:00 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
lots of hybrids these days are faster than gravel bikes, they are essentially upright road bikes with slightly wider tires
Isn't that what gravel bikes are too i.e. road bikes with a more relaxed geo and slightly wider tyres.
Old 07-03-21, 02:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Isn't that what gravel bikes are too i.e. road bikes with a more relaxed geo and slightly wider tyres.

I think of gravel bikes as mountain bikes with drop bars lol, but idk much about them.
Old 07-04-21, 05:48 AM
PeteHski

I think of gravel bikes as mountain bikes with drop bars lol, but idk much about them.
Well that's certainly NOT how the industry categorises gravel bikes! They are basically endurance road bikes with more tyre clearance and often performance oriented. Hybrids on the other hand cover all manner of frankenstein road/gravel/mtb mash-ups, often with crappy ineffective suspension forks. Mostly non-performance oriented machines aimed at the commuter/casual rider. Gravel bikes are usually more focused on going fast over variable terrain, which is why I thought your comment about hybrids often being faster was misleading. Basically a gravel bike is a very good compromise for road and light trail riding if speed is important.
Old 07-04-21, 09:44 AM
LarrySellerz

Well that's certainly NOT how the industry categorises gravel bikes! They are basically endurance road bikes with more tyre clearance and often performance oriented. Hybrids on the other hand cover all manner of frankenstein road/gravel/mtb mash-ups, often with crappy ineffective suspension forks. Mostly non-performance oriented machines aimed at the commuter/casual rider. Gravel bikes are usually more focused on going fast over variable terrain, which is why I thought your comment about hybrids often being faster was misleading. Basically a gravel bike is a very good compromise for road and light trail riding if speed is important.
As far as im concerned gravel bikes are categorized as they are to sell mountain bikes to roadies. I don't do much trial riding so maybe gravel bikes beat out my hybrid there, but their wide knobby tires make them slow even though they have drop bars, they can't touch a hybrid with slick tires on the road.
Old 07-04-21, 09:56 AM
PeteHski

As far as im concerned gravel bikes are categorized as they are to sell mountain bikes to roadies. I don't do much trial riding so maybe gravel bikes beat out my hybrid there, but their wide knobby tires make them slow even though they have drop bars, they can't touch a hybrid with slick tires on the road.
I don't think you know what a typical gravel bike is. They don't have knobby tyres for a start, nor do they have mtb geometry. They just have a little light tread and are a bit wider than normal road tyres - typically 38 mm. With a second wheel set on full road tyres they are pretty much as quick as a performance road bike. What hybrid are you riding that would be faster?
Old 07-04-21, 10:01 AM
LarrySellerz

I don't think you know what a typical gravel bike is. They don't have knobby tyres for a start, nor do they have mtb geometry. They just have a little light tread and are a bit wider than normal road tyres - typically 38 mm. With a second wheel set on full road tyres they are pretty much as quick as a performance road bike. What hybrid are you riding that would be faster?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-3-2021 This thing, it has a less aggressive geometry but thinner tires than most gravel bikes ive seen. Maybe I should ride one with thin tires and it would change my mind. I should be a brand ambassador for that hybrid because I own 2 and bought my brother one haha

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-04-21 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-04-21, 10:17 AM
PeteHski

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-3-2021 This thing, it has a less aggressive geometry but thinner tires than most gravel bikes ive seen. Maybe I should ride one with thin tires and it would change my mind.
A typical gravel bike would have a more aggressive geometry than your hybrid and very similar tyre width (usually 38-40 mm). They may have a little more tyre tread for off-road riding, but depends on the model. Here's a typical gravel bike:-

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/revolt-2-2021

With road tyres it would become a fairly sporty road bike.
Old 07-04-21, 10:22 AM
LarrySellerz

A typical gravel bike would have a more aggressive geometry than your hybrid and very similar tyre width (usually 38-40 mm). They may have a little more tyre tread for off-road riding, but depends on the model. Here's a typical gravel bike:-

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/revolt-2-2021

With road tyres it would become a fairly sporty road bike.
Yeah that thing would need slick tires to keep up with my hybrid. I wonder how much faster it is on the trail, it might be considerable. I went riding on a trail a few weeks ago and was struggling on the more technical stuff with my slick tires. I was thinking of putting drop bars on my dumpster bike I found to make a janky gravel bike, I almost don't wanna do that to my LBS though, might upset a mechanic for having to do something so stupid.
Old 07-04-21, 10:31 AM
PeteHski

Yeah that thing would need slick tires to keep up with my hybrid. I wonder how much faster it is on the trail, it might be considerable. I went riding on a trail a few weeks ago and was struggling on the more technical stuff with my slick tires. I was thinking of putting drop bars on my dumpster bike I found to make a janky gravel bike, I almost don't wanna do that to my LBS though, might upset a mechanic for having to do something so stupid.
A lot depends on the trail I guess. Mountain bikes still work best on my local trails, but they are mostly soft forest singletrack full of roots and the odd steep drop-off. I've seen a few guys on gravel bikes out there recently, but they tend to stick to the easier trails. With the ground being so soft and sandy in places, I have a feeling wider mtb tyres are actually quicker on most of our trails.