Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Power meter for Cervelo R5

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-13-21, 08:33 AM
suri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi, I am looking for a power meter for my R5 Cervelo. Crankset is Ultegra R8000. I checked out the cheaper options like the crank based 4iiii and Stages (both around 400 US$ and compatible with R8000), but the chainstay and the crank arm distance on the R5 frame is not enough to accommodate these models . Are there are similar options in this price range? Or do I have look at replacing pedals or other solution which is more than 2x (>$800 or so). Thanks

PS. I think this is something to do with a unique (odd?) design of the R5 frame ...I tried these two on another BMC bike with Ultegra R 8000 crankset and it had enough clearing distance for these two power meter models.
Old 07-13-21, 03:35 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
R3 pm

EDIT : Oooops where are my manors...

Welcome to Bike Forums.!

I've the Stages dual on a 2018 R3 and the NDS misses the chainstay by 1/8" ... you sure it won't fit?

OK... I went the extra mile !!!

BTW Using the Stages sizing method...
A 10mm Wrench will NOT fit between my NDS crank and the chainstay when inserted 5cm from the BB center per the drawing in the link.
A 7mm will just fit, but an 8mm will not. AND I still have 3mm / 1/8" clearance.
I'm using their Gen3 stuff, but that's not to say they didn't redesign and make the electronics thicker.

Hope that helps

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 07-13-21 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-13-21, 04:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Power2Max has ROTOR options in a 24mm spindle - you wouldn't need to change our your BB or anything. With the 4-hole spider option, you could even use the chainrings from your Ultegra crankset. These will be a little more expensive than the one-sided options out there, but not much more and they'll give you total power rather than just Left x2.
Old 07-13-21, 05:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,714 Posts
Originally Posted by suri
Or do I have look at replacing pedals or other solution which is more than 2x (>$800 or so).
Single-sided power pedals can be had for much less than $800.

The Favero Assioma UNO is $430. I've been using it for a while now, it works fine.

Old 07-17-21, 04:39 AM
suri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cervelo r5 power meter

Thanks folks for the multiple suggestions. After evaluating these I went for the Assioma pedal meter - the other options needed some tweaks to the crank, so just went for the simplest option! (btw Cervelo confirmed that the Stages meter does not have enough clearance on the "asymmetrical R5 chainstay).

All good and thanks again!

Originally Posted by Barry2
EDIT : Oooops where are my manors...

Welcome to Bike Forums.!

I've the Stages dual on a 2018 R3 and the NDS misses the chainstay by 1/8" ... you sure it won't fit?

OK... I went the extra mile !!!

BTW Using the ...
A 10mm Wrench will NOT fit between my NDS crank and the chainstay when inserted 5cm from the BB center per the drawing in the link.
A 7mm will just fit, but an 8mm will not. AND I still have 3mm / 1/8" clearance.
I'm using their Gen3 stuff, but that's not to say they didn't redesign and make the electronics thicker.

Hope that helps

Barry
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Power2Max has ROTOR options in a 24mm spindle - you wouldn't need to change our your BB or anything. With the 4-hole spider option, you could even use the chainrings from your Ultegra crankset. These will be a little more expensive than the one-sided options out there, but not much more and they'll give you total power rather than just Left x2.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Single-sided power pedals can be had for much less than $800.

The . I've been using it for a while now, it works fine.
Likes For suri:
Old 07-17-21, 06:05 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 664 Posts
Thank you for circling back and letting us know the outcome and your findings with Cervelo.
Too many just disappear.

Barry