Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NB to Biking

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-21, 07:52 PM
BMWR1200c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NB to Biking

I found below ad in Craigslist for $290, do not have enough knowledge, wanted to check with experts here if it is worth of over priced. Thank you for your help.

Trek 420 Fast track in gift condition.
3 X 7 Indexed Shimano drive
Pristine 58cm CroMo frame.
Best for riders 5'7" to 6'0".

One owner bike. Completely reassembled and meticulously serviced.
No short-cuts, hidden issues, "just needs" or other bowl shirt.
All components are in excellent working order.
No rust or rust removed. No chips or scratches.
No signs of "normal wear and tear".
Old 07-13-21, 08:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by BMWR1200c
I found below ad in Craigslist for $290, do not have enough knowledge, wanted to check with experts here if it is worth of over priced. Thank you for your help.

Trek 420 Fast track in gift condition.
3 X 7 Indexed Shimano drive
Pristine 58cm CroMo frame.
Best for riders 5'7" to 6'0".

One owner bike. Completely reassembled and meticulously serviced.
No short-cuts, hidden issues, "just needs" or other bowl shirt.
All components are in excellent working order.
No rust or rust removed. No chips or scratches.
No signs of "normal wear and tear".
Cant say about value. Its old, maybe late 80's judging by the 7 speed. You're kind of describing as being in great condition, so maybe worth it. Issue is you might not be able to find a new version that might cost $500, and used bikes are a sellers market right now. Check Bicycle Blue Book or E-bay as well, might give you a better idea as to what these are selling for.
Old 07-14-21, 12:28 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If it is pristine, it is probably not a bad deal. What else can you buy for less than $300 that has been completely maintained? If that is true, of course.

As for a 58cm fitting 5’7 to 6’0, not a chance for someone 5’7”. More like a minimum of 5’10”.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-14-21, 06:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by BMWR1200c
I found below ad in Craigslist for $290, do not have enough knowledge, wanted to check with experts here if it is worth of over priced. Thank you for your help..
As said above, a 58 cm frame is suitable for ~5'10" to 6'1" or so, depending on stem reach. You didn't include how tall you are, and your relative body proportions (i.e., long torso versus long legs vs balanced proportions). "Will it fit?" is the very first question to be asked. Always.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-14-21, 06:25 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Here is something to consider:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=69226

Said bike was only $425 new in 1997.
Tourney components are the lowest in the Shimano lineup.

Keep looking.
Old 07-14-21, 12:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Here is something to consider:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=69226

Said bike was only $425 new in 1997.
Tourney components are the lowest in the Shimano lineup.

Keep looking.
Not saying the bike is good value, but $425 in 1997 is equivalent to $720 today with inflation.
Old 07-14-21, 12:10 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
With the limited availability of bikes these days, if it needs no repairs, just a few adjustments... grab it. Offer $250 but if they insist on $290, pay it.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-14-21, 02:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
The big question is does it fit you?

Then, is it the kind of bike you really need for the type cycling you will be doing. I just see too many people that really just want a easy leisurely riding bike and they get road bikes then put all sorts of seat posts with large set back, ridiculously extended or raised stems on them and then still wonder why they are so uncomfortable or can't do the things they want to do on the bike they chose.

The bike is old. If you are a experienced bike DIY'er you might can do a lot with it. But when you need to get it worked on or new components, there might be troubles brewing if you have to pay for a mechanic.
Old 07-14-21, 07:56 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Welcome! You're getting some good advice. Most important is fit, but if the bike fits and rides well and you like it, buy it. If you don't know bikes it would be advisable to have a buddy with knowledge accompany you to confirm or correct your impressions. Good luck!
Old 07-15-21, 02:08 AM
Zrocks2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think, if you like the look and feel of the bike, go for it. In my experience, if the components work well it doesnt make such a big difference if they are tourney or top of the line to most riders.
Old 07-15-21, 06:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
If the bike is mid-to-late '90s, it will probably have 130-mm rear dropout spacing---which means you can put just about any modern wheels and gears on it. From what I see online the bike has 700c wheels---which, again, means that it will be easy to find wheels for it.

If the rear dropout spacing is 130 mm, you could rebuild the bike as a 2x11 or anything else. Often 7-speed wheels have freewheels, not freehubs, which aren't as strong, but should work fine for non-competitive or non-abusive riding. Still, it is nice to know that if you like the frame you could swap in any modern drive train---pull a bike with a decent drive train and a broken frame out of the bike shop dumpster and swap out the gear and go, or pick up old used bikes or whatever .... if it has the old 126-mm spacing, you are stuck using old tech.
Originally Posted by thumpism
Welcome! You're getting some good advice. Most important is fit, but if the bike fits and rides well and you like it, buy it. If you don't know bikes it would be advisable to have a buddy with knowledge accompany you to confirm or correct your impressions. Good luck!
This. If you don't know bikes, bring a friend who does. If everything is as advertised and works as intended, it might be a decent ride.

It really depends on three things:
A.) Does it fit? if it doesn't, it could be solid gold with diamonds, it is still useless to you (if it is solid gold for $290, buy it and melt it down for resale.)

B.) Does everything really work perfectly and look brand new? Can you easily shift through all the gears and ride silently (no clicks or clunks) in every gear? Do the brakes stop you swiftly? If there is no wear, no paint chips, no rubbed areas under the cables, then this might be one of those garage queens .... ignored in the corner for years. Great luck for you, if so.

C.) Does it work for the way you want to ride? This is an old steel touring frame, so it probably isn't lightweight ... but that doesn't matter to everyone. I have an old steel Raleigh which isn't at all light but is a great ride.

Does the riding position suit you? You can adjust it, but only so much. Do you want to go really fast? Do you want to put a rack on the back and use it for errands? I'd say the bike could probably work for anything except competition, but likely the frame is designed for pretty narrow tires, so you probably couldn't convert it to a gravel bike, for instance. On another hand, it might fit 32s if it is a late-nineties touring frame.

Last edited by Maelochs; 07-15-21 at 06:45 AM.