Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1974 Raleigh International

Old 07-14-21, 09:43 AM
  #1  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
1974 Raleigh International

This popped up locally, good looking Raleigh, appears to be mostly original and in very good condition. Seller states that it's Reynolds 501, which is wrong, should be 531. Also has "original Zefal pump" which I believe should actually be a Silca Imperio. But anyway, what do folks have to say regarding valuation? They are asking $725.









johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 09:54 AM
  #2  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,793

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 1,213 Posts
That's an aggressive price but you live in the Pacific NW and bike prices are high there. The bike looks good and the parts look to be all original campy stuff with a brooks saddle. I'd value it closer to $600 though.
bikemig is offline  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-14-21, 12:16 PM
  #3  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 11,116
Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 755 Posts
-----

frame pump shown on bicycle is the same AFA product shown in the manufacturer's catalogue illiustration for the U.S. market of 1974




it appears someone has replaced the original AFA pump holder Nr. 34 with either a Campag Nr. 632 or a Zeus Nr. 115; angle of images does not permit one to tell which

perhaps they employed an Impero with the cycle in the past and wish to retain it...or maybe the Impero fell to misadventure and the owner put the AFA back into service...







-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-14-21 at 02:26 PM. Reason: addition
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 07-14-21, 12:38 PM
  #4  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,197
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2828 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 817 Posts
What are your plans for it?
himespau is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 12:45 PM
  #5  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Thanks guys. A tad too big for me at 59cm (which I think would be 23.5" in the catalog). The 22.5" inch (about 57cm) would be better. Still, tempted to check it out and go for a test spin to see if it would work for me, seller permitting.
johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 12:47 PM
  #6  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
What are your plans for it?
No plans, just looking. I'm a sucker for 70s Reynolds 531 bikes, and keep thinking I need an old Raleigh. I like that it seems to be stock.
johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 01:10 PM
  #7  
altomaton
Steel Is Real
 
altomaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll Eyes View Post
If I am paying $725, I'd rather look for more recent bikes/models, which are lighter and faster. That's just me.
This is the classic and vintage forum, though.
altomaton is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 01:16 PM
  #8  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll Eyes View Post
If I am paying $725, I'd rather look for more recent bikes/models, which are lighter and faster. That's just me.
Originally Posted by altomaton View Post
This is the classic and vintage forum, though.
Roll Eyes has been quickly established to be a troll. Hopefully mods will intervene soon.
johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 02:32 PM
  #9  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 11,116
Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 755 Posts
-----

the copper flambouyant is a good colour

when persons look for these they tend to seek the copper over the green

if you were to purchase it and kept it in this same fine nick it would appreciate for you

of course if the size is unworkable then not much else matters

as you may know, these Raleigh catalogue sizes are nominal and are measured c-t-t

the actual c-t-c size of a nominal 23 1/2" is likely to be in the vicinity of 57.5cm

happy shopping


-----
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 07-14-21, 02:34 PM
  #10  
fettsvenska 
Senior Member
 
fettsvenska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 437

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 51 Posts
I live in the PNW as well and that is about as low $$$ as I've seen a Raleigh International priced that is in that condition. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a buyer at $725 out there for this bike.
fettsvenska is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 02:59 PM
  #11  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
the copper flambouyant is a good colour

when persons look for these they tend to seek the copper over the green

if you were to purchase it and kept it in this same fine nick it would appreciate for you

of course if the size is unworkable then not much else matters

as you may know, these Raleigh catalogue sizes are nominal and are measured c-t-t

the actual c-t-c size of a nominal 23 1/2" is likely to be in the vicinity of 57.5cm
If it were the green, I wouldn't even consider it; I have a "no green bikes" policy.

I would definitely keep it as is. Thanks for the tip on sizing, I didn't know that. That makes it doable. A test ride will confirm, if nothing else.
johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 03:17 PM
  #12  
Gary12000 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I think these bikes are on the rise, they were second only to the Professional and are actually very ride able, i have one, i paid more than that for in similar condition, this forum is knowledgeable but like someone said to me we all want it to be priced what we want to pay, i think in that condition its easily worth that, mine rides fantastic, i cant comment on the Weinman brakes which were original spec, as mine were upgraded to Campy...

I d buy another just because they are stunning in person.... id have one in every color...

Gary
Gary12000 is offline  
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 07-14-21, 04:40 PM
  #13  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Is it true that these run 27" wheels (this is what is listed in the ad, if it isn't a mistake)? Doesn't specify in the catalog specs. If they are 27", has anyone converted to 700c without too much modification?

johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 05:16 PM
  #14  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 11,116
Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 755 Posts
-----

stock wheels were tubs

specification cross table states "sprint rims" - this is Brit terminology for tubs

---

frame geometry and clearances on these are forgiving

know you can easily run 35c tyres and may be able to do 38c

remember that as you go up in tyre cross section you are slightly raising the standover height; might be a consideration in your case

you may wish to read up on the concept of "french fit" if you are unfamiliar with it


---

should the combination of a 144mm BCD and a 28T limit on the NR stern mech not be adequate to your gearing requirements do not hesitate to convert to a three plateau drive train

you can mount a Rally on the stern

if you make such changes it would be best to retain the original fittings so that you, or a future owner, could put the machine back into stock configuration if wished

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-14-21 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spellin'
juvela is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 06:26 PM
  #15  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,793

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace View Post
Is it true that these run 27" wheels (this is what is listed in the ad, if it isn't a mistake)? Doesn't specify in the catalog specs. If they are 27", has anyone converted to 700c without too much modification?
4 mm adjustment down to 700c. Should be easy with those center pull brakes. Take a look at them. They likely have that much adjustment. But why would you want to give up on those campy hi flange hubs? I'd stick to 27 inch unless you plan on rebuilding the wheels.
bikemig is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 06:35 PM
  #16  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,117
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 620 Posts
that I would be really surprised if it is a 23.5" as Raleigh measured way back to the top.
If you ride a 22.5", too big, I have one and the head tube is considerably shorter.
I think the asking is actually Market, at least in Southern California.
appears low miles, If I wanted an International, buy it, take it apart, as you should do anyway for a bike of this age, sell the frame and look for another International, My guess you could end up even.

the only downside I see is what appears to be 27" wheels. The schrader valves...
repechage is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 06:39 PM
  #17  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 19,881

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21804 Post(s)
Liked 4,661 Times in 3,421 Posts


...it's worth that much in that condition, and equipped as it is, where you state you are located. I wouldn't sell this one for less than that. It does have long stays and more of a touring geometry, if that matters to you. So it's not especially quick handling, but it does have a nice road feel. I put fenders on this one a couple of years ago. Tyre and fender clearance is not an issue with these.

This one is a 23 1/2" model, so I think that one is too big for you.
3alarmer is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 06:52 PM
  #18  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

stock wheels were tubs

specification cross table states "sprint rims" - this is Brit terminology for tubs

---

frame geometry and clearances on these are forgiving

know you can easily run 35c tyres and may be able to do 38c

remember that as you go up in tyre cross section you are slightly raising the standover height; might be a consideration in your case

you may wish to read up on the concept of "french fit" if you are unfamiliar with it


---

should the combination of a 144mm BCD and a 28T limit on the NR stern mech not be adequate to your gearing requirements do not hesitate to convert to a three plateau drive train

you can mount a Rally on the stern

if you make such changes it would be best to retain the original fittings so that you, or a future owner, could put the machine back into stock configuration if wished

-----
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
4 mm adjustment down to 700c. Should be easy with those center pull brakes. Take a look at them. They likely have that much adjustment. But why would you want to give up on those campy hi flange hubs? I'd stick to 27 inch unless you plan on rebuilding the wheels.
I'm questioning whether the 27" wheel spec is accurate. Did they even make tubulars in 27"?

Last time I looked for 27" tires (for my wife's Trek 620), the widest I could find were Panaracer Paselas, I believe in 32mm.

juvela 28T has been good enough for me for several decades, no need to move up yet! And yes, I would definitely keep the original fittings for such a fine bike.
bikemig I definitely would not give up those Campy high flange hubs!
johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 06:54 PM
  #19  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
that I would be really surprised if it is a 23.5" as Raleigh measured way back to the top.
If you ride a 22.5", too big, I have one and the head tube is considerably shorter.
I think the asking is actually Market, at least in Southern California.
appears low miles, If I wanted an International, buy it, take it apart, as you should do anyway for a bike of this age, sell the frame and look for another International, My guess you could end up even.
Thanks, definitely something to consider.
johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-14-21, 07:01 PM
  #20  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,793

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace View Post
I'm questioning whether the 27" wheel spec is accurate. Did they even make tubulars in 27"?

Last time I looked for 27" tires (for my wife's Trek 620), the widest I could find were Panaracer Paselas, I believe in 32mm.

juvela 28T has been good enough for me for several decades, no need to move up yet! And yes, I would definitely keep the original fittings for such a fine bike.
bikemig I definitely would not give up those Campy high flange hubs!
Tire choices are limited in 27 inch. Tubulars are 700c.
bikemig is offline  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-14-21, 07:13 PM
  #21  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post


...it's worth that much in that condition, and equipped as it is, where you state you are located. I wouldn't sell this one for less than that. It does have long stays and more of a touring geometry, if that matters to you. So it's not especially quick handling, but it does have a nice road feel. I put fenders on this one a couple of years ago. Tyre and fender clearance is not an issue with these.

This one is a 23 1/2" model, so I think that one is too big for you.
I like that champagne color, very nice! I'd say the geometry is more sport touring than touring, which I'm okay with. Bottom line is I'll have to go check it out and see if the size works.
johnnyace is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 04:19 PM
  #22  
johnnyace 
Le savonnier
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,558

Bikes: Peugeot PXR80, Motobecane Grand Record, Hampsten Strada Bianca

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 181 Posts
Well, I went out to look at it this morning, took it for a test ride, and was sold. It's a little tall, but not a deal breaker. Wheelset is nothing to write home about other than the Campy high flange hubs: 27" Rigida clinchers with Cheng Shin tires! Otherwise in great shape and solid. Bought it for $700.

Details and more pics to come...
johnnyace is offline  
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 07-15-21, 04:32 PM
  #23  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 11,116
Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 755 Posts
-----

congratulations!

if you operate it with 700 wheels you will gain four mm in standover clearance

hope you enjoy

count yourself very fortunate that it is one size too small for gugie...

otherwise he might be laying plans...


-----
juvela is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 05:19 PM
  #24  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 18,793

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 1,854 Times in 1,213 Posts
Cool.
bikemig is offline  
Old 07-15-21, 06:28 PM
  #25  
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Posts: 4,307

Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1978 Eisentraut "A," mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 1961 Bianchi Competizione (an Eroica bike), 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa (also an Eroica bike)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace View Post
Well, I went out to look at it this morning, took it for a test ride, and was sold. It's a little tall, but not a deal breaker. Wheelset is nothing to write home about other than the Campy high flange hubs: 27" Rigida clinchers with Cheng Shin tires! Otherwise in great shape and solid. Bought it for $700.

Details and more pics to come...
n+1 strikes again.

Nice score. If it looks anywhere close to as good in person as it does in the photos (and assuming there are no hidden disasters), ya done good.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline  
Likes For bikingshearer:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.