Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Locked out of Facebook

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Locked out of Facebook

Old 07-18-21, 02:58 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Locked out of Facebook

I changed my password on Facebook and now my account is locked out. I put new passwords in and confirmed them and still locked out. Do any of you know if there’s anything going on with Facebook?
Old 07-18-21, 03:38 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 287 Posts
Congratulations! You're now free of the 'Dark Force's' bondage. Go forth and enjoy your new-found freedom to engage with real people and things!
Old 07-18-21, 03:51 PM
ahsposo 
Major Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5436 Post(s)
Liked 2,764 Times in 1,634 Posts
You say "Locked out of Facebook" like that's a bad thing.
Old 07-18-21, 04:02 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 21814 Post(s)
Liked 4,693 Times in 3,437 Posts
...I heard that if you got vaccinated, the 5G chip will interfere with your login. That's just what I heard.
Old 07-18-21, 04:07 PM
George

I thought the responses were funny, thanks. I think I’m going to lock them out, lol.
Old 07-18-21, 04:10 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...I heard that if you got vaccinated, the 5G chip will interfere with your login. That's just what I heard.

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-18-21, 04:34 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 356 Posts
Caps lock on?
Old 07-18-21, 05:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13755 Post(s)
Liked 6,669 Times in 3,372 Posts
I’ll bring you up to date on what you’ve missed: Five cute cat videos and a former high school class mare posting”Eating turkey, Yummm!”
Old 07-18-21, 07:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,479 Posts
What is Facebook?
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-18-21, 07:45 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 241 Posts
They locked me out a few months ago because I questioned something political. I'm not ready to get locked out of here so I won't even mention it.
Old 07-18-21, 10:20 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
Facebook is very paranoid about people making fake accounts, so if you do something even slightly suspicious-seeming, you're going to be SOL. Changing a password twice in quick succession would probably qualify. I once had an old account I decided to reuse... but I both changed the email address and the password at the same time. That was apparently a no-no; within two minutes it was "upload a photo of yourself" & etc. etc. Wasn't going to do that so I just let it go.

Not sure how all the scammers who are always in comments sections manage to get their accounts through, though.
Old 07-19-21, 02:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,236 Times in 1,442 Posts
Facebook nanny bots have gone insane recently. I just finished my third 24-hour suspension since May. In one instance, a post on a photography group, the bots mistook my use of the word "shoot" or "shooting" for a threat of violence, rather than the very familiar colloquial expression for "taking a photograph."

Farcebunk is using bots to automagically moderate all content, new and old. The two previous suspensions were for posting animated gifs from Pulp Fiction as ironic replies to posts from friends. The gifs were provided through Fakebroke itself, but the bots disapproved of gifs of the scene in the pawn shop basement with Marsellus and Butch dressed up in Betty Page regalia.

Another banned post was a gif from the 1950s sci-fi movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Some friends and I were playing a game of badly summarizing movies down to one or two sentences. My caption read something like "Gort, kill them all. This planet is hopeless." Boom, Farcebunk ban for inciting galactic violence.

There's a recourse to the FB Supreme Court, which supposedly generates reviews by human mods. But they select only a handful of cases to review, out of millions of suspensions and deletions per year. In previous reviews they have reversed some bans when the mod-bots misinterpreted parody, satire and irony. But then the human reviewers turned around and upheld the bans based on other infractions that they made up on the spot.

I'm only hanging around FB to watch Suckerborg's Frankenstein monster burn. I check it pretty much daily to keep up with real life local friends, and for event notifications that I might attend. But otherwise it's a smoldering pile of junk. I'm an admin on a photography page but I don't do anything with it. We have only a handful of active participants. If I can't find someone else to take the football I plan to shut down the group if it goes dormant for a week or two. Not worth the hassle.

I've been online since the 1980s, via BBSs, and access via our university and my government employer, mostly for work related stuff. And I've moderated photography and other niche hobbyist groups for years, until around 2015 when I got too busy. But social media has made the interwebs incalculably worse, particularly with the rampant invasion of privacy, suckerbait to get people to reveal way too much personal information, and the brain-dead consequences for using words the bots don't understand. But the worst consequence by far is human driven, the bloodlust for revenge, naming, blaming and shaming, and relentless displays of hubris and intolerance.

I've said for years that the only sensible way to participate online is anonymously and as privately as possible. Sure, it's nice to take a chance and meet new real life friends. But the risks are escalating to the point that I'm not sure it's worthwhile anymore.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-19-21, 03:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
Facebook is very paranoid about people making fake accounts...
Facebook doesn't give a damn about fake accounts, guarantee it. More fake accounts and sockpuppets means more clicks, more page views, more revenue.

I'm an admin on a FB group and often report obviously fake profiles -- usually from Africa, sometimes parts of Asia. They spoof other accounts, mostly Americans, but often forget to change the name on the user's ID, which is generally in the poster's real name -- almost always from Nigeria, Sierra Leone, etc., sometimes Pakistan or Hong Kong. And they often leave their friends settings public, so you can see that virtually all of their contacts are real life family and friends from their home countries, confirmed by most of their publicly viewable posts. And they'll often have half a dozen spoofed accounts linked together, again using photos and basic data copied from Americans. I've reported dozens, maybe hundreds of these faked accounts. Not once has FB ever banned those accounts.

Same with blatant racism and hate speech. Almost invariably FB bots reply it doesn't violate their terms of use.

It's so obvious that FB doesn't care about fake accounts that one of my friends makes a hobby of creating multiple sockpuppets just to be a pest and show the futility of expecting any integrity from Facebook. Then he'll post junk memes and stream of consciousness nonsense dozens of times a day, sometimes hundreds of times a day, just baiting the FB mod-bots into suspending that account, so he'll fire up yet another fake profile. He's sort of like the Andy Kaufman of FB trolls.

I'm sure Fakebroke has access to the same info I did on sites where I was admin. It's not too difficult to spot sockpuppets because most people will use their home IPs. And even when they use proxies they tend to repeat identifiable patterns in posting styles, times, material, images and language patterns.

Farcebunk could do better. They just won't because it would cost them revenue. They'll continue counting the fake accounts as legit because it pays, and won't stop until there's a threat of legal action, or their own employees turn whistleblower.

Meanwhile they sic the lamest imaginable AI on actual members to badger them into conformity with a mutable set of rules. FB has turned into the world's biggest psychological manipulation and behavioral control experiment.
Old 07-19-21, 06:04 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
You have done yourself a favor by locking yourself out of FB. Such a waste of time with trivial horse crap all the time.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-19-21, 09:05 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I had a Facebook account but never used it. My wife set it up so she can play POGO games and such and I don't know why she did that as she could have just used her account. Anyway my account got hijacked and this jerk was messaging my wife pretending to be me (I was at work at the time). After a brief conversation where he was "joshing" her she started to become suspicious and asked him to say something I would say. Of course he couldn't do that so he lashed out with a profanity-laced tirade. She than contacted Facebook where they suspended my dormant account as per her request but I don't know if they eliminated my account entirely.

I did have an account on Gab but ended up disabling it but that's a topic for another post.
Old 07-19-21, 09:34 AM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Facebook doesn't give a damn about fake accounts, guarantee it. More fake accounts and sockpuppets means more clicks, more page views, more revenue.

I'm an admin on a FB group and often report obviously fake profiles -- usually from Africa, sometimes parts of Asia. They spoof other accounts, mostly Americans, but often forget to change the name on the user's ID, which is generally in the poster's real name -- almost always from Nigeria, Sierra Leone, etc., sometimes Pakistan or Hong Kong. And they often leave their friends settings public, so you can see that virtually all of their contacts are real life family and friends from their home countries, confirmed by most of their publicly viewable posts. And they'll often have half a dozen spoofed accounts linked together, again using photos and basic data copied from Americans. I've reported dozens, maybe hundreds of these faked accounts. Not once has FB ever banned those accounts.

Same with blatant racism and hate speech. Almost invariably FB bots reply it doesn't violate their terms of use.

It's so obvious that FB doesn't care about fake accounts that one of my friends makes a hobby of creating multiple sockpuppets just to be a pest and show the futility of expecting any integrity from Facebook. Then he'll post junk memes and stream of consciousness nonsense dozens of times a day, sometimes hundreds of times a day, just baiting the FB mod-bots into suspending that account, so he'll fire up yet another fake profile. He's sort of like the Andy Kaufman of FB trolls.

I'm sure Fakebroke has access to the same info I did on sites where I was admin. It's not too difficult to spot sockpuppets because most people will use their home IPs. And even when they use proxies they tend to repeat identifiable patterns in posting styles, times, material, images and language patterns.

Farcebunk could do better. They just won't because it would cost them revenue. They'll continue counting the fake accounts as legit because it pays, and won't stop until there's a threat of legal action, or their own employees turn whistleblower.

Meanwhile they sic the lamest imaginable AI on actual members to badger them into conformity with a mutable set of rules. FB has turned into the world's biggest psychological manipulation and behavioral control experiment.
This^
I read the first 1/2 of what’s her face “Option B” book.
What a load of drivel.
Then she acted like she cared about the platform being used for political purposes.
Obviously she only cared that the outcome didn’t go her way.

Not a big fan of oligarchs pretending to care about the common man.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-19-21, 09:43 AM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 78 Posts
More names: fecesbook, book of faces, zuckyboo.
Old 07-19-21, 10:00 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Every time I read something like this thread, I thank my lucky stars that I've never had a FB account.....or Twitter....or Instagram.......

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-19-21, 10:25 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10691 Post(s)
Liked 2,716 Times in 1,865 Posts
I too never did FB... But I also find it terribly annoying that some information is only available on FB... restaurant menus for instance, or local groups for various things like sailing or music. Often I can go view the FB page... and find what I want, but I am also nagged to join FB every damn time and may not scroll past some imaginary line "for further information."
Old 07-19-21, 10:40 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by genec View Post
I too never did FB... But I also find it terribly annoying that some information is only available on FB... restaurant menus for instance, or local groups for various things like sailing or music. Often I can go view the FB page... and find what I want, but I am also nagged to join FB every damn time and may not scroll past some imaginary line "for further information."
Yes, a lot of cycling events are only available for view on FB now, and some software companies like TurboTax will only provide direct assistance through social media like FB. My nephew was unable to get a job, because he didn't have a FB account so that they could check him out. Basically, people's lives are being held hostage by FB and others, just like it's nearly impossible to exist w/o a smartphone.

Old 07-19-21, 10:56 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10691 Post(s)
Liked 2,716 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Yes, a lot of cycling events are only available for view on FB now, and some software companies like TurboTax will only provide direct assistance through social media like FB. My nephew was unable to get a job, because he didn't have a FB account so that they could check him out. Basically, people's lives are being held hostage by FB and others, just like it's nearly impossible to exist w/o a smartphone.
Several years ago I tried to use Uber, could not do so as it (then) required a FB account. So I have never Ubered either.
Old 07-19-21, 11:02 AM
George

They have a lot of cycling things on Facebook that I read, but now it’s just a pain.
Old 07-19-21, 03:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15266 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,671 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Facebook nanny bots have gone insane recently. I just finished my third 24-hour suspension since May. In one instance, a post on a photography group, the bots mistook my use of the word "shoot" or "shooting" for a threat of violence, rather than the very familiar colloquial expression for "taking a photograph."
Could be worse.
Old 07-19-21, 07:03 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Every time I read something like this thread, I thank my lucky stars that I've never had a FB account.....or Twitter....or Instagram.......

Same here. If I want to get into social and political rants I'll sign on to Bikeforum's Politics and Religion' thread.
Old 07-19-21, 09:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Yeah, if that provoked legal action, imagine what would happen if AI bots (or mods whose first language isn't the American idiom) tried to figure out the lyrics in some songs by Chrissie Hynde, Courtney Love, Brody Dalle or Liz Phair.

It's interesting that rappers are often accused of inciting violence, despite their explanations that they're talking about real life stuff they've experienced. But nobody claims those women musicians are advocating sexual violence when they sing about their own traumas.

I hear rumors among the security pundits claiming that every word posted online -- on a forum, personal text or private email -- and every word spoken, is harvested by some gigantic digital Eye of Sauron to be analyzed and used against us. Maybe so. But if Fakebook's AI bots are any indication, they'd have no idea what to make of what most of us write and say because most complex cultures develop idiomatic expressions that defy simplistic methods of parsing. All that data may be harvested but it'll probably digital-rot in a virtual basement somewhere, only to be dug up and converted into some bizarre memes or forms of entertainment decades or centuries from now.
Likes For canklecat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.