Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mavic 500 sealed bearing hub

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-21, 05:12 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

These are great hubs. I cant figure out though how to get the axle out. There is one side that has an adjustable cone to adjust any slack on sealed bearing but the problem is how do i remove the outer flange that bites into the rear dropout. The apear to be press fit on or non removable. I need to get this thing off to get the axle out........so that i can remove the freewheel with the freewheel tool. The tool wont fit over the part that bites into the axle. Id rather not ruin the hub. These have really held up well over many many years and probably have many more to give.
Old 07-24-21, 05:26 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
These are great hubs. I cant figure out though how to get the axle out. There is one side that has an adjustable cone to adjust any slack on sealed bearing but the problem is how do i remove the outer flange that bites into the rear dropout. The apear to be press fit on or non removable. I need to get this thing off to get the axle out........so that i can remove the freewheel with the freewheel tool. The tool wont fit over the part that bites into the axle. Id rather not ruin the hub. These have really held up well over many many years and probably have many more to give.
Hi Sure someone will be along with schematic shortly :-)
I replaced an axle on one of these years ago .
From memory the axle just taps out with bearing from one side
You need to take the threaded cover off .

In saying all that seems odd that you need to take axle out to remove freewheel ?
Pics of hub and tool in question wil undoubtedly help the brains trust on here sort you out .
cheers
Old 07-24-21, 07:10 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
What kind of freewheel is on there?

I've seen troublesome combinations of freewheels and hubs when it came time to use the particular freewheel tool.

I would try to drive the non-driveside bare axle end out through the freewheel opening, hopefully it slides free of both bearings.

Don't go nuts on the axle, support the freewheel end before any pounding and as last resort consider sacrificing the freewheel(?).
Old 07-25-21, 05:54 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 382 Posts
See Post #5 Maybe it will help:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...00-wheels.html
Old 07-25-21, 06:24 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I have set of these on my 1982 Medici, laced to Mavic hard anodized rims and Mavic bladed spokes x 32. Really smooth and no maintenance, I love em. At first when I bought the bike I wasn’t sure but when I put it on the stand to get the bike rideable, it was one thing that did not need attention. The hubs were so smooth, they just spun with no resistance.
Old 07-25-21, 06:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Here's a better image of the exploded diagram and a re-post of the bearing removal instructions.

Old 07-25-21, 07:42 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
THanks for the blown up photo. Looks like i have a little c clip to remove to get the end of the axle thing (500020) off.