Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Cheap fun... Retrospect Harper (???)

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-25-21, 05:59 PM
PapaEZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Several years back I picked up a cheap single speed (with coaster brake), a Retrospect Harper. It's been in the garage for the last few years, but I pulled it out and started giving it some tlc. It's claimed factory weight limit is 220, but it hauls me (290lbs) around fine... So far. I know this isn't a high grade bike, but for a casual ride now and then, it's not bad. The 700c x 28 wheels (32 spoke) and tires roll nice compared to my box store mountain bike, and no cheap derailers to fiddle with or adjust. The top tube is borderline too tall for me (5'3") but no crushed jewels yet. The jury is still out on if the spokes will hold up.

I changed the saddle, handlebars, stem and gearing. Wanting a more upright riding position a longer stem was added, then bullhorn handlebars for comfort. The gears were 46 x 16, fine for flats but felt I would cruise a little to fast for riding with the family (including children) and hills are tough, still getting in shape. I had both a 19 and 23 tooth cog, but since I needed to use a new chain for either, I just put the 23t on (today). With 54 gear inches (46 x 23) climbing hills has become easier, but I need to work on my cadence/cardio when on the flats. I have a higher heart rate compared to riding with the 16t cog at elevated speeds and find myself a bit winded. Originally I was going to use the 23t cog with a 3 speed hub, but it hasn't happened yet. Still have to go on a few more rides to decide if the 19t cog will go on. I haven't attempted the two big hills I want to ride yet.

As a side note, ​​​​​I have started to manage my meals, which has me dropping about 5lbs a week. Aside from missing pastries, it's not bad. Going for the casual bike ride is fun, and gets me moving. Just wanted to share that getting out and riding doesn't have to cost a lot. If or when parts start to fail a person can upgrade, or in time, if cycling is something a person wants to continue to do then spring for a nicer bike. I know now, between the box store mtb and this Retrospect Harper, plus things I bought to make them fit me better, I could have bought a decent new bike or more than decent used one. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Harper as it weighs 10-15lbs less, it's smoother and is less clunky/bulky feeling. The cheap spring forks and derailers on the mountain bike are a big turn off for me, I haven't been wanting to ride it much, but was bought as a "beater" bike.

As I said, I know the Harper is not a great bike, but it's a fun one to get me riding more. Hopefully this winter is mild and I can continue riding. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub and wheel for this bike, or just buying a bike already equipped with a 3 speed... Or getting a 2 speed kickback hub... Too many decisions. Any thoughts on upgrading cheap bikes? Or 2 vs 3 speed hubs? Or the Harper in general, please share.

Either way, that's my ramblings for now. Take it easy.
Likes For PapaEZ:
Old 09-28-21, 12:28 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Congrats on getting out and riding. I’ve recently converted a couple of rigid MTB’s to single speed .
Different gear upon each . One has a 22 tooth cog with a 34 tooth chainring . It spins out around 10mph . The other has a 20 tooth cog with a 30 tooth chainring. It spins out around 8mph maybe 8.5 .
im finding the low geared single speeds are easier on my knees .
Just takes getting use to , waiting while coasting to begin pedaling .
I’m loving it !
Old 10-02-21, 04:36 PM
PapaEZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Oldcruiser, seems like a nice setup you have. Single speeds do make things simpler.

I have three cogs I can use, depending on whare I'm riding (23T, 19T and 16T). I figure the 23T is good enough for riding around my area. I'm not in any hurry and it really helps on hills. I have to check out a trail about 40 minutes from home. It's paved and runs along the cannal here in NY (Newark area to Rochester?). May switch to the 19T cog for that (65 gear inches). If I find it too easy/slow I'll go to the 16T (77 g.i.) for a faster pace. Just need to make time before the snow flies to check it out. It seems like a decent place to ride from what I've heard.

I've played with the thought of getting another single speed, just to have higher gearing. Would save time swapping cogs and chains. Honestly don't know if the 19T cog will work with the chain I'm currently running (if enough room in dropout). I know the 16T cog and original chain match, and the 19T is too large for that chain (rear wheel too far foreword).